What games are you playing now?

Whoa, there's a blast from the past! I loved Hidden and Dangerous. It was kinda tough, and the AI was a bit deplorable at times, but it was a quality WWII tactical title imho. Upon the release of H&D II, the original and it's expansion was put up for free download. I liked the way the game strived for realism in the weapons and vehicles and all that. You kill a german, you can grab his potato masher grenades, which are way better than the default us ones. Like the ghost recon games, it has an overhead map "planning mode", but like GR, it's pretty much useless for anything but scoping out the area beforehand.

Thanks for reminding me about pt II, I never got around to playing it. Just grabbed it for like 7 bucks total off Amazon.

txa1265,

How is the full version of MOH:Airborne? Is it any better than the demo, or pretty much the same?

I didn't play the demo - which area was it?

The full version is 6 stages, about 45 - 60 minutes each, checkpoint saves, ghost-spawning enemies, and very much console-style action. I didn't get the arcade feel you mentioned in the first stage, but at some points it was heavily arcade-ish. I am in the middle of the last stage ... and get to see if it really does save at checkpoints like it says it does ...

Hadn't heard about Dr. Who and 2009, thanks. Wonder who'll be playing the Doctor that year!!

I believe Tennant is on for 2009, but nothing (as far as I know) has been decided for 2010.
Russell Davies said in an interview recently that he thought the actor who played Baines/Brother Of Mine in Human Nature/Family Of Blood would be great as the Doctor... But then Davies is often prone to great bouts of enthusiasm and exaggeration so who knows what the plan is.
There have been rumours going about for a while now that Steven Moffat (the writer for Empty Child, The Doctor Dances, Girl In The Fireplace and Blink) would take over from Davies as head of the show. So 2010 may be a completely new direction for Doctor Who, but it's all rumour.
I want Tennant to stay on for as long as he possibly can though, he's brilliant.

Back on topic.. Thanks for those demo links CD, and the run-down and link for H&D Sam! I'll check them out this weekend.

lol, today I grabbed and bought an original NWN with handbook and map from a boy who claimed he "didn't know what it was about". For only 2 Euros. :D It was on a big flea market.

I heard Tennant had a stage show booked and might be leaving part way through next season. I hope not too, he's excellent!!

You guys should really start a Dr Who thread separately ... this thread is up to 50 pages of almost all on-topic stuff already.

Well, to get back on topic I can say that I've started playing Blue Dragon this weekend.

It is for the 360 and the visual style is kind of like the Dragon Ball Z cartoon. This initially turned me off because of the frequent and horrifying flash backs to childhood trauma at the hands of the awful Hanna-Barbera cartoons but once I got my hands on the demo I was sold.

It may be in the STYLE of Dragon Ball Z but it most certainly is NOT in the same low quality as Dragon Ball Z. In fact, some of the animations are really something out of the ordinary.

In terms of gameplay it resembles the standard Final Fantasy recipe with TB combat, world map traversals (with random encounters) that chain the locations together. The story is not exactly meant for an adult audience but then again, what JRPG story is?

I'm unleashing my inner child and am having a blast so far.

I didn't play the demo - which area was it?

The full version is 6 stages, about 45 - 60 minutes each, checkpoint saves, ghost-spawning enemies, and very much console-style action. I didn't get the arcade feel you mentioned in the first stage, but at some points it was heavily arcade-ish. I am in the middle of the last stage ... and get to see if it really does save at checkpoints like it says it does ...

Do they at least give you an option to disable the crosshair in the full version?

What I meant by "arcade" feel is the way you suddenly "level up" with weapons and abilities. To me the game has lost the realism and atmosphere that MOHAA had.

Do they at least give you an option to disable the crosshair in the full version?
Nope - and you even have to make video changes via a separate program.

What I meant by "arcade" feel is the way you suddenly "level up" with weapons and abilities. To me the game has lost the realism and atmosphere that MOHAA had.
I know - I was on the last level and suddenly I got a scope in the middle of a battle! It would be one thing to have it and have to attach it outside of battle - i.e. that you've gained that proficiency and can now use the items.

But for me that is only part of the problem - the arcade feel goes to more than the stupid awards, it encompasses the very console-action feel of the game, the shooting gallery aspects, the 'award' structure so obviously set up for XBOX achievements and so on...

I know this is a 'better' game than MoH: Pacific Assault, but it also is more annoying to me ... maybe they should have just skipped the PC like they did with Call of Duty 3.

Isn't MoH a WWII game ? (Medal of Honor)

Yes, sorry for all the acronyms ... MoH is Medal of Honor, and CoD is Call of Duty. Those two, along with the multiplayer-centric Battlefield games are really the core of good WWII shooters - there is a series of budget shooters called 'WWII Combat' ... but they are really, really bad.

I'm digging more & more into Ultima 7 ... but I'm still *very* early in the beginning.

I wanted to complete an unfinished sword I've found, but I had the impression as if this doesn't work.

Can anyone give me an advice how many CPU cycles I should give the game ? From within DOSBOX, I mean.

If it's the Silver Sword, you can. U7 is a very long and complex game. Where specifically are you?

NWN 1 - mods: Tales of Arterra: Lost and Awakening

-> very good story and interesting henchmen - recommended.

I'm still around Trinsic.
I switched to Exult, by the way, which makes me like the game much more.

Are there any gameplay differences between Exult and the original ? Is it possible to happen zu me that I won't be able to do (combine) things I would be able to in the original ?

To the best of my knowledge, there is no difference between the two versions!!

Now playing ... Jam Sessions for the DS ... OMIGAWD!!! Guitar Simulator for the DS, strumming and all!

Currently playing...

World of Warcraft (again... still... until I get pissed again)
EVE Online (space MMO, I'm liking it a lot)

Soon will be jumping into Fury MMO as well.

Darkfall is coming. I have waited since 2001. I am greatly looking forward to it.

Back
Top Bottom