Prey - Not a sequel

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Arkane's Ricardo Bare talked with GamesIndustry.biz about Prey:

"It's not the Michael Bay of games"

Arkane's Ricardo Bare explains why immersive sims are here to stay, and why Prey took its name from a franchise it has essentially no connection to

[...]

"It's not a sequel," Bare said. "It's not fictionally connected. It's like, movies and books come out that have the same title all the time that have nothing to do with each other... I would not see it as a Prey game. I would see it as a game from Arkane that is called Prey. The name is a really good name, and that's the part that matters."

That's not to say the game has no proper predecessors. Like Bare said, it's part of a tradition of immersive sims that has been trending upward in the last decade. Bare acknowledged that 2007's BioShock sparked the genre in a big way, but prior to that, Arkane was one of a handful of studios carrying the torch with titles like Arx Fatalis and Dark Messiah of Might & Magic. When asked why the genre fell out of favor for a stretch, Bare said it was at least partly because immersive sims are just really difficult to make.

[...]
Thank you for the info, Farflame!

More information.

Its a Disgrace to the amazing original Prey 2 videos, that's what this abomination is.

Speak for yourself. I can't wait to play this.

It's as close to a modern day System Shock 2 as we're going to get from a AAA studio.

Modern System Shock 2, they got the budget for that, really? Care of hypes and disappointments.

Game looks great to me.
For sure, waiting it too, but Prey is already an ambitious shooter, if they succeed do a Prey 2 without to disappoint it will be huge, but a System Shock 2.

I still remind all the hyping around Duke NF before release, it never worth the bahing it get at release. Simple point, at DNF release the limit to carry 2 weapons generated a ton of bashing, I didn't read a single complain about that for Bioshock Infinite. Or ammo restore get bashed a lot, I see recent MEA use that too, and I have yet to see a complain about that.

What I'm saying is exaggerated expectation could lead to exaggerated disappointment.

So it is a prequel or a sidequel.

AFAIK, it's a completely different game using the name for marketing purposes.

Doesn't have any bearing on the game itself, for my part, but it's not what I would have done.

Then again, I'm not a suit desperate to profit in any way I can.

Since Dishonored 2 didn't do much, I think Prey needs to succeed. Zenimax is used to their games printing money.

Since Dishonored 2 didn't do much, I think Prey needs to succeed. Zenimax is used to their games printing money.

Yeah, Dishonored 2 should have done better in my opinion. Not a masterpiece, but a great game.

I'm not sure Prey will do that well - because the subgenre doesn't seem quite as popular as I would like it to be.

However, the marketing campaign seems pretty strong.

Both named prey...both take place in space with aliens...saying they have nothing to do with eachother is strange to me. Loved the first game though, will definately play this one.
...i mean i didnt love the first one, since this game is the first one. Im sure i'll love this prey same as i enjoyed the other prey.

bethesda is intentionally dividing the community, all for the ego of one manager. No one blames Arkane they made a game and had some asshat force them to use a title that was an insult to another game franchise and developer. Another game that was canceled because the developer Human Head refused to be bought out by bethesda. Human Head did not want to be part of the corporate machine that bought out companies like id and Arkane, where they would be forced to make dumbass changes to their game like a title, based on ego.

What we should be talking about is, trying to find out the name of this manager, so he can be remember as the idiot he really is for dividing the gaming community. Because if we 'don't' and sales falter, this idiot will try to find away to blame Arkane, which none of us want.

Back
Top Bottom