Wizardry: Labyrinth of Lost Souls - Launch Delay

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Wizardry: Labyrinth of Lost Souls won't be released today:

Wizardry: Labyrinth of Lost Souls Launch Delay

Due to an unforeseen issue involving IP licensing, the game cannot launch today as previously intended. We apologize for the sudden delay, and will inform you of a new release date once it's confirmed.
More information.

I certainly wasn't planning to pick this up the first day it launched, but this news is disconcerting. I hope they get it all resolved, as Xseed tends to do a great job on translations, so I'm looking forward to getting to play this one soon.

Oh man, I wonder if its Werdna and Trebor again.

Oh-oh, "unforeseen issue involving IP licensing" ??????

A Cease & Desist order, perhaps?

A C&D order for a game that was actually released years ago for PS3/PS Vita (JPN release=2009) ???

Remember that what is going to be released now (if ever) is the proper PC version of the game. So, any IP licensing issues should have been cleared years ago at the time of PS3 release.

A C&D order for a game that was actually released years ago for PS3/PS Vita (JPN release=2009) ???

Remember that what is going to be released now (if ever) is the proper PC version of the game. So, any IP licensing issues should have been cleared years ago at the time of PS3 release.

True dat. On Steam someone speculated music rights which is plausible. If they didn't own the music, stuff like that tends to expire. That's what happened on reruns of Daria and WKRP and why the Heavy Metal movie got pulled from video stores.

Was the game released world wide or just in Japan? Someone said that wizardry rights only existed in Japan (I think that is what they said) ?

Was the game released world wide or just in Japan? Someone said that wizardry rights only existed in Japan (I think that is what they said) ?

According to the game's Wikpedia page:

Release Dates

PlayStation 3
JP: December 9, 2009 (PSN)
JP: January 27, 2011 (BD)
NA: June 1, 2011
EU: December 7, 2011

iOS
JP: July 29, 2011
WW: November 3, 2011

PlayStation Vita
JP: December 3, 2015

Yes, the game was indeed also released to NA (North America) and EU (European Union) markets, not only Japan's.

Wait, IOS....does that mean for mobiles?!?!? I mean, why on earth would you release a Wizardry game for telephones, lol. Sometimes I see stuff that makes absolutely no sense at all.

Oubliette, the inspiration for Wizardry, has been ported to Android.

Also, the first three Wizardry's were ported to Gameboy Color.

So you'd think. But we don't know the details of the original license; it may have some restrictive language that lawyers can debate.

Back
Top Bottom