Elden Ring - Narrative Similar to Dark Souls

I don't know why From Software decided to stop making Dark Souls then just makes more Dark Souls.

Why not just call it Dark Souls 4? It looks like Dark Souls 4.

So the maps are bigger and you get a horse to go faster. Is that really too different to get the name?

Like, the Dark Souls intro video about "first it was dark then there was flame…" That's like a genesis story. It talks about the creation of the world. Why abandon that lore? Cannot the game be set in the same universe but a different time and have nothing to do with the genesis story dragons?

Souls, Bloodbourne, Sekiro.... They're all pretty much the same?

Fromsoft has obligations to publishers who ... Hang on

"In April 2014, Kadokawa Corporation announced its intention to purchase the company from former shareholder Transcosmos. The deal was finalized on May 21, 2014."

I forget how much they paid but it was for 80% of From Stockware and just because they wanted to sell Dark Souls. Then the deal gets made and From decides to abandon the IP? Like, they pretty much HAVE To make Dark Souls games. They're only fooling themselves pretending like they're new games.

Damn… that looks pretty badass.

I was only mildly interested before seeing that, but now it's probably a Day 1 purchase for me.

Souls, Bloodbourne, Sekiro…. They're all pretty much the same?

Fromsoft has obligations to publishers who … Hang on

"In April 2014, Kadokawa Corporation announced its intention to purchase the company from former shareholder Transcosmos. The deal was finalized on May 21, 2014."

I forget how much they paid but it was for 80% of From Stockware and just because they wanted to sell Dark Souls. Then the deal gets made and From decides to abandon the IP? Like, they pretty much HAVE To make Dark Souls games. They're only fooling themselves pretending like they're new games.

Sales would say their fooling more than just themselves.

I thought sekiro was different enough. I don’t want different though, I’ve yet to tire of the dark souls formula.

They keep making them and ill keep buying them.

giphy.gif

Sometimes is better to improve your formulae, than reinvent it every time. But Fromsoft is giving Ubisoft a run for the money in this. Hell, even every Assassin's Creed had more different things going for it, between each entry.
In Dark Souls 2 they even took a completely identical half of boss battle from previous game and shoved it in the game.

I thought sekiro was different enough. I don’t want different though, I’ve yet to tire of the dark souls formula.

Well I was really good at Dark Souls but so awful at Sekiro that I had to stop playing despite enjoying the game. So from my perspective they were extremely different.

In Dark Souls 2 they even took a completely identical half of boss battle from previous game and shoved it in the game.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Narrative : I didn't think they had one. Sure there are bits of lore etc, but even collecting them all is a pretty poor implementation of a 'narrative'.
My opinion - feel free to disagree.

Well I was really good at Dark Souls but so awful at Sekiro that I had to stop playing despite enjoying the game. So from my perspective they were extremely different.

Yeah took me about 40 hours to stop playing the game like DS. Once i started playing like it was designed (blocking and parrying instead of evading and rolling) it became much easier. Bosses and mini bosses that were giving me trouble became trivial and beatable in less than a minute, literally. Properly timed parry’s will destroy even the toughest enemies.

If you were enjoying the combat I’d say give it another try and focus on learning to block and parry. If an enemy is too fast at first you can just spam block and it will usually get you through until you learn the timing. I didn’t realize that at first and tried to time everything perfectly and it went badly. Once i figured it out it kept me alive long enough until i learned each enemy.

Back
Top Bottom