Wasteland 2 - Wasteland Released to Backers

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
InXile Entertainment has released the original Wasteland to all backers on Steam and GOG. You can grab your key at Ranger Center.

Now If you're not a backer the game will be available on November 12th. Here is a brief description for new players.

For the first time in over 20 years, we are heralding the return of a much loved piece of gaming history with the classic RPG, Wasteland!

Mutants. Again. Even more than there were last time: they seem to materialize out of the very grains of the radioactive desert sand. Venomous yellow eyes. The black gunmetal glint of Uzis as they close in for the kill. There's nowhere to run, and nothing to rely on but your MAC 17 machine gun. What a way to save the human race.

The year is 2087, eighty-nine years after an all out nuclear war between the United States and the Soviet Union turned vast swaths of the Earth into a hellish wasteland where survival is a daily struggle against thirst, hunger, radiation sickness, ravaging raiders, and mutants - always mutants. You are a Desert Ranger, one of a band of stalwart lawmen born from the remnants of a U.S. Army detachment who survived the nuclear holocaust by holing up in a maximum security prison. You may wear ragtag uniforms and carry make-shift weapons, but the Desert Rangers are the only law left in what was once the American southwest.

Now something more secretive and sinister than the usual roving bands of mutants and raiders is menacing humanity, and it's your job to investigate. Recruit the help you need, follow any leads you find, but beware. The wasteland is lawless desert and a lonely place, and the choices you make will shape the world around you. Better choose wisely. Your life depends on it.
More information.

Last edited:
IMO they should have do this a few weeks before W2 gets released, but then again, I'm not complaining.

Cool they did this. I think the backing music is very cool.

I don't really like the smoothing effect on the text but the upres portraits look cool. This being said I still prefer the c64 version of the game. It was originally built on the apple 2 or c64 then ported to pc. The pc version I always thougt was too bright and I don't like the blips and bloops of the pc sound. Still some of the enhancements are cool.

Is it worth giving a shot? I do find myself replaying older games more often than I play new ones, and I can take rough graphics. But 1988 was a really long time ago, I'm not sure I can stomach this? It would be really fun to have played through it at least once before WL2 arrives...is the gameplay good enough that you forget about the graphics after a while, or should I give up before trying?

Is it worth giving a shot? I do find myself replaying older games more often than I play new ones, and I can take rough graphics. But 1988 was a really long time ago, I'm not sure I can stomach this? It would be really fun to have played through it at least once before WL2 arrives…is the gameplay good enough that you forget about the graphics after a while, or should I give up before trying?

Yes I think so. If you can get paste the old UI and graphics and play for a while I think its a very engrossing and atmospheric game. Its probably in my top 3 games of all time (but I prefer the c64 version a bit more). This game doesn't tell you what to do, there are times when you need to experience with your skills to figure things out. It's fun to use a Geiger counter as well to determine where its safe to go or not.

This game really made me feel like I was in a post nuclear war world and was trying to survive. Just a great game. Might be my top game of all time but definitely in my top 3.

This being said I played it when it was released so my opinion of it might be biased.

Anyone else having a problem with WL freezing after about 5-10 minutes in Windows 8

Not predictable; sometimes in combat, sometimes in conversations, once or twice during party creation.

The Wasteland reset utility doesn't seem to work at all. It freezes my system, and I have to manually kill the process.

The Wasteland reset utility doesn't seem to work at all. It freezes my system, and I have to manually kill the process.

Only use this once you've finished the game. It allows you to replay it while keeping your party. A friend of mine did this several times back in the day and ended up with high ranking officers shooting at rabbits.

Still it shouldn't freeze so it is still a bug.

Thanks Saxon, I will give it a go then.

IMO they should have do this a few weeks before W2 gets released, but then again, I'm not complaining.

Well maybe you have more information than me, but I think that's exactly what they did.

Well maybe you have more information than me, but I think that's exactly what they did.

They're not into beta yet, so sadly I doubt they will release anytime soon. But here's to hoping it will be released in the coming month. As far as I know they haven't officially declared it delayed. Yet.

Anyone else having a problem with WL freezing after about 5-10 minutes in Windows 8

Not predictable; sometimes in combat, sometimes in conversations, once or twice during party creation.

It happened to me about 20 minutes into the game on Windows 7. Oddly enough, Windows task manager indicated that the application was still running, but the game wouldn't respond to any key I pressed. This was during combat.

Question: At certain points the game will ask you to read paragraph xx. I know that it's referring to the separate PDF file which I assume was originally for copy protection. The problem however is that Alt-Tab doesn't seem to work with this game. So I guess I have no other choice but to print the damn thing?

Any tips on which skills are the more useful ones?

Back
Top Bottom