Re: Voting for best RPGs of 2015

lackblogger

SasqWatch
Re: Voting for best RPGs of 2015

The end of the year is approaching and soon we'll know the names of all the titles released this year and be able to perform our annual top three poll from a huge list of potentials.

However…

This year has been quite a big year for RPGs and there's already two that are shoe-ins for the no.1 and no.2 spot. I don't think we even need to poll for these two other than to find out which one takes 1 and which one takes 2 - those being Witcher 3 and Fallout 4 (as if you even needed to be told their names).

Then when you consider Pillars of Eternity was also released this year, that game is likely to be the standard neutral's vote for 2nd or 3rd and will sweep 3rd place quite easily.

So shall we actually bother with a full poll this year? Shall we just have a vote for no.1 versus no.2 and assume PoE for no.3? It would save a lot of pointless arguments and unnecessary dragging up of really, really over-worn topics.

Or can you honestly think of another game which will legitimately challenge this obvious result that goes beyond your own personal opinion?

Now that we're flooded with RPGs again perhaps it's time to again separate the poll into two categories, one being well known publishing houses and one being independent productions (the separation criteria decided by some form of generally accepted logic) (if we actually want some excitement from the process)?

Didn't RPGWatch do two polls last year (AAA and indie)?

My opinion, of course we should have the poll. Discussion and debate is a big part of what this site is all about. Plus, it is a more sophisticated, niche crowd here, I think the results could surprise. I am sure the Witcher 3 will finish #1, but I think second place might not be a clear-cut as you think. Pillars of Eternity was more well-received by critics and users alike, and really fits the niche that this site appreciates.

Speaking of clear cuts no game is instawinner, sorry.
I remember some year where IIRC most anticipated game was - Dark Souls. A game design I wouldn't wipe my arse with. :D

It's always a clash of different tastes thus we need the poll. Or polls.

btw I cannot wait to see which game will be the "want to play ASAP in 2016". DX4? Elex? Xcom2? ME4? Technomancer? TB2? Something else yet unannounced? Tough call, right?

This year has been quite a big year for RPGs and there's already two that are shoe-ins for the no.1 and no.2 spot. I don't think we even need to poll for these two other than to find out which one takes 1 and which one takes 2 - those being Witcher 3 and Fallout 4 (as if you even needed to be told their names).

Then when you consider Pillars of Eternity was also released this year, that game is likely to be the standard neutral's vote for 2nd or 3rd and will sweep 3rd place quite easily.

The Witcher 3 & FO4 are certainly the most popular RPGs among the general gaming audience. But RPGWatch is a PC-centric site where the members know CRPG means Computer RPG, not Console RPG :) Among players who value graphics, world size, and scope above game play, none of the other 2015 RPGs can hope to compete. Yes, I'm sure these games will get a fair number of votes. TW3 also has a great story. And while I haven't played FO4 and don't intend to, I'm sure it's safe to say there is a lot to do in that game (even if I would personally find the vast majority of what you can do monotonous); it's a big sandbox game. But in terms of overall quality and fun, I don't think either of those games deserves to be in the top 3. And Pillars of Eternity was probably the most disappointing RPG of 2015 to me; I know there are a few people here that really liked it, but overall I got the impression that RPGWatch's reaction was a resounding "meh".

So I have hope that the top 3 won't just be the 3 WRPGs with the biggest budget.

So shall we actually bother with a full poll this year? Shall we just have a vote for no.1 versus no.2 and assume PoE for no.3? It would save a lot of pointless arguments and unnecessary dragging up of really, really over-worn topics.

Or can you honestly think of another game which will legitimately challenge this obvious result that goes beyond your own personal opinion?

No we shouldn't have a poll, we should just embrace Lackblogger's assumptions as the one true assumption. :roll:

But seriously how the hell is it possible for anyone to think of another game that deserves to be called Best RPG of 2015 based on anything other than one's personal opinion? Is there some objective way to measure a game's quality / fun factor that I don't know about? Unless you're talking in terms of popularity, but again that's the whole point of the poll…

My personal 2015 list would be something like:

1. Age of Decadence; while certainly not very impressive visually, it looks good enough, the choice & consequence in this game is amazing.. It's an RPG where you can actually role play.. Each class plays very differently. It's not combat or action focused like the majority of RPGs so it may not be "for everyone", but then what game is?

2. Legends of Eisenwald- as a Strategy RPG it is obviously a much more combat focused game, with an unique take on turn-based combat.. It is rather simple (some may find it too restrictive) but it ended up growing on me… A big part of the strategy is in building a party that you find effective. Even though party members are just generic units I got attached enough to them that it was frustrating when my valuable units were removed at the end of most chapters.

3. Shadowrun Hong Kong: While I was disappointed with the "Revamped Matrix", and found the combat too easy even on the highest difficulty setting, there is much to love about this game. I liked how missions allow for different approaches (and the ways you can accomplish things vary based on which party members you can take along). The companions are really excellent and the story is decent. I didn't love it as much as Shadowrun: Dragonfall DC, but I'm still finding it more enjoyable than TW3; it may be a much smaller game, but at least it isn't chock full of filler content.

There's also still a chance that Underrail will be released from EA by the end of the year. Based on what I've heard, I could see that being the favorite of a lot of people; only problem is it might get released before anyone who doesn't do Early Access has a chance to play it.

Now that we're flooded with RPGs again perhaps it's time to again separate the poll into two categories, one being well known publishing houses and one being independent productions (the separation criteria decided by some form of generally accepted logic) (if we actually want some excitement from the process)?

How do we define well known vs independent developers? We're never going to reach a generally accepted consensus. For instance, if a game raised $1million+ on Kickstarter, is that still an independent production? It's a far cry from a AAA budget, but doesn't seem fair to lump it into something that was done by a one or two person team in their spare time.

I think the poll should include a question on which RPGs a person has played (and which have they completed)… As you may very well be correct that the top scoring games will be TW3, FO4, and PoE, it might simply be because those are the games that have been played by the most of us… Which might lead to them receiving the most votes… Or even the belief that they are actually the best (if all you ever play is AAA games, you might think they have amazing gameplay).

I don't think separating it into arbitrary categories is the way to go… Just include the top 10 (which I think was done in the past). It may be that TW3 and FO4 are destined for the top two spots, but I have some small hope that Watchers will vote with their brains and not their eyes.

Speaking of clear cuts no game is instawinner, sorry.
I remember some year where IIRC most anticipated game was - Dark Souls. A game design I wouldn't wipe my arse with. :D

btw I cannot wait to see which game will be the "want to play ASAP in 2016".

That's easy. Dark Souls 3.:biggrin:

Since Divinity: Original Sin EE came out this year I think that my vote will be same as last year:).
Since Underrail didn't come out this year as expected I think that my most anticipated game vote might be same as well.

btw I cannot wait to see which game will be the "want to play ASAP in 2016". DX4? Elex? Xcom2? ME4? Technomancer? TB2? Something else yet unannounced? Tough call, right?

So far I think my most anticipated 2016 release is Torment: ToN (assuming it actually gets released next year). The recent game play videos look great. I'm also very much looking forward to Liege, Graywalkers: Purgatory, Prisonscape, Age of Grit, and Copper Dreams… Not sure yet about The Mandate (although I backed it) and Kingdom Come Deliverance.

The only 2016 AAA game I'm remotely interested in Deus Ex, but definitely not extremely excited about it. Anyway, I'm not really sure I would consider DE:HR an RPG, but more of an action / adventure stealth game.

Since Divinity: Original Sin EE came out this year I think that my vote will be same as last year:).
Since Underrail didn't come out this year as expected I think that my most anticipated game vote might be same as well.

I was wondering whether someone would want to include D:OSEE and WL2-DC in the 2015 poll. My thinking is that they should not be included as those are basically 2014 releases with Free DLC added…

Last edited:
That's easy. Dark Souls 3.:biggrin:

Oooo, yeah and DARK SOULS™ II: Scholar of the First Sin was released this year... sure it is only a episodic DLC... but you can get it with the Dark Souls 2 season pass!!! so I think it definitely better than anything else this year... so RPGWatch GOTY to be sure.

Oooo, yeah and DARK SOULS™ II: Scholar of the First Sin was released this year… sure it is only a episodic DLC… but you can get it with the Dark Souls 2 season pass!!! so I think it definitely better than anything else this year… so RPGWatch GOTY to be sure.

You know, GG, it's got to be FO4.

pibbur who runs and hides from the presumably angry swede (aka söta syster).

this year was meh compared to 2014 but ofc we had witcher and all the rereleases

this year was meh compared to 2014 but ofc we had witcher and all the rereleases

Would that be the year when Dragon Age: Inquisition beat:

4 Shadowrun: Dragonfall
5 Might & Magic X: Legacy
6 Lords of Xulima
7 Risen 3: Titan Lords
8 Legend of Grimrock 2
9 Dark Souls II
10 South Park: The Stick of Truth

to the number 3 slot…

I have yet to play either TW3 or FO4, so neither will get my vote!! :) Come to think of it, I still haven't played TW2 even though I think I installed it somewhere!!!! When you're retired, it's difficult to find sufficient time to play games!! :D

Would that be the year when Dragon Age: Inquisition beat:

4 Shadowrun: Dragonfall
to the number 3 slot…
Wait, a phonegame was smuggled on the list? Man…
When you're retired, it's difficult to find sufficient time
Suddenly I have no urge to get retired soon.
Or I misinterpretted something...

Wait, a phonegame was smuggled on the list? Man…

Shadowrun: Dragonfall ain't a phonegame, Joxer. It's a really good RPG that definitely deserved to be high on 2014 best RPGs list. IMO, it was #1 as I grew bored with D:OS after awhile. There's no microtransactions, no enemy respawning, and none of the other drek you typically complain about. So unless you hate RPGs with a lot of dialogue or really dislike the Shadowrun setting, you're missing out on a game you might potentially enjoy because of your assumptions.

Yes, Dragonfall was eventually ported to Android and iOS, but it will only work on relatively new tablets. I have an Android tablet from a couple years ago and can't play Dragonfall on it because my Android version isn't high enough and might not have enough RAM either. There's no way such a game could be played on any phone.. I will admit that the UI isn't the greatest, and probably would have been better if they made Shadowrun Returns w/o plans to port to tablets, but it is acceptable.

You know, GG, it's got to be FO4.

pibbur who runs and hides from the presumably angry swede (aka söta syster).

Maybe it will be... I can't say anything about that since I haven't played it... but it sounds like Bethesda has taken several steps in the right direction with it....

My list for 2015 currently would be:
  1. The Witcher 3
  2. Pillars of Eternity
  3. Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  4. TDE: Blackguards 2
  5. Sword Coast Legends
I haven't played any other RPGs so far this year. The latter three I wouldn't even nominate.
I'm quite sure FO4 which I've started yesterday will come on 2nd or 3rd place.

My list of most anticipated games for 2016 would be:
  1. Mass Effect: Andromeda
  2. Divinity: Original Sin 2
  3. Kingdom Come: Deliverance
  4. Torment: Tides of Numenera
  5. Technomancer
  6. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
  7. Underworld Ascendant
Could become a great RPG year again.

My list of most anticipated games for 2016 would be:
  1. Mass Effect: Andromeda
  2. Divinity: Original Sin 2
  3. Kingdom Come: Deliverance
  4. Torment: Tides of Numenera
  5. Technomancer
  6. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
  7. Underworld Ascendant
Could become a great RPG year again.

No Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen for PC (release January 15th)? Actually do we count "re-release"? Which would also include for Wasteland 2 and D:OS EE versions for this year.

and I'm pretty sure D:OS2 is going to be a 2017 title.

No Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen for PC (release January 15th)? Actually do we count "re-release"?
It's actually in my personal notes and highly anticipated but indeed I didn't put in on the list because technically it isn't a new game.

Hm… if we voted for "Most anticipated PC RPC of the Year" it should indeed be included. ;)

and I'm pretty sure D:OS2 is going to be a 2017 title.
You're right… I remember that I've heard it somewhere. In my personal notes it's still 2016 because I can't find a source any more. :)

From what I've seen an heard, i'm pretty sure The Witcher 3 would be first. But haven't played it yet. So:

1) The Witcher 3
2) Pillars of Eternity
3) Divinity Original Sin EE

EDIT: Since i've just played TW3 recently, I can now add it to my top 3.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom