HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
PCGamesN checked out Outward:

Outward is a survival RPG that has no respect for your time

Ten hours into Outward and it feels more like hoovering up than playing a game

Survival games are all about lacking power. They depict a struggle against a world that's not only uncaring but actively trying to kill you. Where's the fun in that? It's usually found in the elation of making it to day 100, whereas before you could barely struggle to day 50 - you learned to tame the environment, better manage your resources, and how to more effectively fight off the immediate threats. These are games about incremental improvement, starting from weakness and growing slowly, from a sap to a survivor and typically nothing more.

[...]

You can spend four hours working on getting new gear and walk away with a new pair of boots that might reduce the damage you take. It just isn't worth it. There is some weird charm in how Outward delights in obfuscating progress. I supposed it'd work on me if there was nothing else to play. But there just isn't enough here to warrant it when so many games do respect your time. If you truly want to give your all to one game then maybe Outward is for you. But, if you're hoping for a game that you can jump into for a few hours, then actually going outward is a better choice.
More information.

I'm just grabbing my popcorn for the eventual replies.:biggrin:

anyone-hungry-this-could-be-a-while-popcorn-meme.jpg

In the first 3 hours I played I upgraded my backpack, got new armor and weapons, learned a fighting skill with a 1 handed weapon, and increased my hit points. Also, finished 3 or 4 quests. So I would say I don't agree with this review at all.

You cheated though, you looked at a walkthrough ;)

In the first 3 hours I played I upgraded my backpack, got new armor and weapons, learned a fighting skill with a 1 handed weapon, and increased my hit points. Also, finished 3 or 4 quests. So I would say I don't agree with this review at all.

How dare you post something positive about this game. We're here to say it's empty and a crap game because 23% of users on Steam don't like it (and most of them don't understand the game, like trying to kill a Pistol Shrimp with a makeshift club and rag armor and wondering why the game is so hard). Your balanced opinion (aka FANBOYING) is unwelcome here. :police:

Can you compare it to ELEX? - This game was challenging in the beginning as well.

Can you compare it to ELEX? - This game was challenging in the beginning as well.

Yes actually. Hard enemies exist at the start of the game and you have to avoid them or run from them. The loot progression is very Gothic-esque as an upgrade in armor or weapon makes a huge difference, life or death versus tougher enemies. It's similar to ELEX in that regard and actually reminds me a bit of Gothic meets Dark Souls or something. It's very unique and unlike anything I've ever played.

So if you are a Steam user that doesn't recommend the game you didn't understand it? 25% BTW.

So if you are a Steam user that doesn't recommend the game you didn't understand it? 25% BTW.

A lot of the reviews clearly didn't understand it, or had co-op bugs. I've read plenty of them. They call controls clunky when really it's designed that way on purpose. You can't just swing a greataxe and then immediately stop mid-swing to block. And by the way, 25% negative reviews is pathetically small, what's your point? That's 75% of people are having a blast with the game and saying it's one of the best they've played in a long while. You are funny anymore Todd. You're trying to shit on the game (and many other games I've noticed lately) when 75% of people have reviewed it positively already.

Maybe on a very rudimentary level. They're both 3rd-person action-RPGs where most people will die a lot in the early-game. Other than that, they're not similar.

The art direction and music in Outward are closer to what you would expect in a JRPG. It has a very different atmosphere compared to most western RPGs.

It's a decent effort from a smaller studio, but you can feel their budget was limited.

Fluent I'm just screwing with you because you are relentlessly defending the game to the point of absurdity. Then you get pissed when someone calls you a fanboy. I didn't say *anything* negative about the game here at all. I just asked you why anyone who doesn't like the game gets a Fluent indictment. In the other thread you went after me like a dog on a sock because I dared make an observation about Outwards empty space. On the upside nice to know I was funny at one point :)

You cheated though, you looked at a walkthrough ;)

The walkthrough doesn't really help much if you have been playing crpg's all your life. It should just say look everywhere and try to get better equipment before you tackle harder enemies. I do this anyway because I'm always worried about missing stuff.

I didn't read in the walkthrough how to pay off your blood debt. I didn't pay the 150 silver and saved someone.

The combat is kicking my butt when I face more than one enemy. It's a little too action based for my old turn based playing ass :)

Not sure how much I will enjoy the no saves and not dying but the exploring has been fun and I like the items and quests do far. I also think the crafting is nicely done.

Fluent I'm just screwing with you because you are relentlessly defending the game to the point of absurdity. Then you get pissed when someone calls you a fanboy. I didn't say *anything* negative about the game here at all. I just asked you why anyone who doesn't like the game gets a Fluent indictment. In the other thread you went after me like a dog on a sock because I dared make an observation about Outwards empty space. On the upside nice to know I was funny at one point :)

Relentlessly defending it? Please provide evidence and quote those posts. I was merely telling the truth about the game. See this is the funny type of responses I get from you, Couchpotato, JDR, etc.. As soon as I say I like something and start answering questions about it, I'm a fanatic, I have blinders on, I'm fanboying. It's hilarious. It's good to know I have fans but shit, you guys are just getting pathetic at this point.

Lets not take this all too seriously. Let's say I have some criticisms and your an advocate that's all.

Lets not take this all too seriously. Let's say I have some criticisms and your an advocate that's all.

Yeah, right. My dispelling of 5 minute myths is advocating. Guess I'm just too much of a fanboy (even though I know the game isn't for everybody).

He needs to take a break from the forums altogther before he has a total meltdown. Or is it a little too late for that? :)

He needs to take a break from the forums altogther before he has a total meltdown. Or is it a little too late for that? :)

Oh yes, a meltdown is imminent. Watch out everybody! :rolleyes:

On the real I check these forums for about 10 minutes a day. I could care less. I just like screwing with you guys (same as on the Codex).

Back
Top Bottom