3 Luigi Mansion 3

1 Solasta
2 realms beyond
3 Cyberpunk 2077
4 ostranauts

1. Greedfall
2. The Outer Worlds
3. None

I haven't yet played Disco Elysium but I suspect that I will enjoy it more than I am currently somewhat enjoying Operencia.

1. Cyberpunk 2077
2. Vampire - The Masquerade: Bloodlines 2
3. None

Outward was probably my favourite from the list. It reminded me of Dungeon Lords. Sort of flawed gem.

Looking forward to Knights of the Chalice 2.

If you played Greedfall to the end, I feel confident you have more to look forward to in 2020 than just Cyberpunk!
Sure, Warcraft 3: Reforged, WoW: Shadowlands and the new ESO expansion. I'm also replaying Mass Effect, which is good fun except for the total disaster of a main quest in ME2 and 3 (it's a Swiss cheese of plot holes). Maybe I'll finally have time to replay The Witcher 3, which has been on my agenda for at least a year, but I just haven't had the time.

None of that is in the list of upcoming RPGs though. If I missed something there, feel free to let me know and I'll check it out.

Sure, Warcraft 3: Reforged, WoW: Shadowlands and the new ESO expansion. I'm also replaying Mass Effect, which is good fun except for the total disaster of a main quest in ME2 and 3 (it's a Swiss cheese of plot holes). Maybe I'll finally have time to replay The Witcher 3, which has been on my agenda for at least a year, but I just haven't had the time.

None of that is in the list of upcoming RPGs though. If I missed something there, feel free to let me know and I'll check it out.

No of course not. You are excited about what you are excited about. What I mean is that if you really liked Greedfall, I am 100% confident you will be pleasantly surprised by many new titles in 2020 that you will love playing. So your 2020 experience is going to be way better than you think. It's good news!

• Cyberpunk 2077
  • Vampire The Masquerade Bloodlines 2
  • Wasteland 3
Yes, same here. However, I actually don't know anything about the current state of W3. I just added it as I really enjoyed Wasteland 2 after a long turn-based dry spell.

And as a patient gamer:
None
None
None

I hope this does not skew the poll too much. Looking at the list of games nothing really interests me, except maybe The outer worlds.

1 - Disco Elysium
2 - The Outer Worlds
3 - Sunless Skies

1 - Cyberpunk 2077
2 - Vampire The Masquerade Bloodlines 2
3 - The Waylanders

(honorable mention to Realms Beyond and Wasteland 3)

This will be the last day you can vote, or can change your vote, for the GOTY.

Practically, this means that I'll probably end the possibility to vote somewhere when it is Tuesday for me :)

Right okay. I voted then.

Just to say I switched places in my planned top 2.
#1 was supposed to be Outer Worlds but I pushed it to the second place because they've announced DLC. Due to being a full game without separate whatnot and only a notch less fun than OW, my vote for the best RPG went to Greedfall. Not that this will have any impact, but I still want to say somehow that a full package always wins in my case.

Rest of my votes are IMO irrelevant but none were "none". :)

So TOW base game suddenly got worse because there will be a DLC in the future? That makes sense... not. :D

Sorry, but that's how things work on my side.
In case you forgot, in previous year I didn't put AC: Odyssey at all amont top3 because of it's microtransactions schemes. I still recommend the game, but we're talking about something "of the year" here. That something has to respect my values if it wants my vote.
Full products will always have a priority when I'm asked about what's "the best". Outer Worlds was dropped one place lower because of the announced DLC. If instead of one DLC some microtransactions store similar to Helix in AC was announced I'd have completely disqualified it.

Sorry, but that's how things work on my side.
Yep, but that's not a reason for it to make more sense. ;)

And yes, it's not defined what "of the year" should actually mean.
But I think that business decisions like releasing DLC post-release should not affect the grading of a certain game. In my opinion that would open a can of worms where I would also have to judge if a developer treats its employees well or if a studio was closed.
It's not about the DOTY or POTY, but about the GOTY.

No you should not.
We vote for game oty, not studio, publisher, CEO oty.
DLC craze needs to die, we need full games and proper sequels. I'll be happy if my vote for a game that decided not to go DLC will help it, but after realitycheck it's nearly impossible to happen.

Besides, you know me and you knew the DLC announcement will trigger my evil side. When I saw the news it was:
nononononononononononononononononononononononononononono!

A complete sequel please!
Well now. Time to pay up for making me miserable.

The problem with this stand is DLC is now overused. We used to have expansions - then we had tidbits and now DLC is used for all addons that include both tidbits and expansions.... A few folks actually use expansions but serveral DLC have been quite meaty.

Having said that i have no clue on the size or quality of this dlc.

No you should not.
DLC craze needs to die, we need full games and proper sequels. I'll be happy if my vote for a game that decided not to go DLC will help it, but after realitycheck it's nearly impossible to happen.

Besides, you know me and you knew the DLC announcement will trigger my evil side. When I saw the news it was:

Well now. Time to pay up for making me miserable.

Exactly.
The DLC is not a part of the game that was released in 2019, so we shouldn't vote on it. In fact you can't vote on it as you don't know it. Thus you're actually voting on something else, which imho is the business decision concerning this game.

I understand your motivation and I support the cause. But imho a GOTY vote is not a place to fight this fight.

You have to view this in a different light: Joxer did not vote Greedfall > Outer worlds because of the DLC. The announcment of the DLC merely started the thought processes that made him realise the undeniable truth that Greedfall is simply the better game.

:>

LOL well now... That will remain debatable as both have their own strengths. And both share the same weakness - easy combat. But... Again something everyone here knows, when I "score" a game, combat difficulty is the least important thing. I mean we're voting rpg not mortal kombat or something of the year. ;)

I wonder if Joxer took this same stance with the Witcher 3, I’m sure some semantics are incoming.

If you really want to take a stand don’t buy another game with any post release content. That’ll show em. :biggrin:

Back
Top Bottom