Red Dead Redemption 2 is coming to PC

In case I didn't say before, I work as IT support. A part of it is troubleshooting.
I've explained above what makes RDR2 pisspoor code on certain CPUs and a link on how to try to "fix" it. Someone else suggested 30 FPS lock, that can definetly help but is not the best solution.

I have no idea why are people adding info on GPUs or graphics settings - none of it causes the game's problems except sporadic "christmas lights" or temporary artefacts instead of shadows. These graphics quirks are minor, ignorable and not critical.
Unless of course you deliberately set for example water complexity on max that will choke the game - in such case complaining on it's performance is bullshit just as was the case with DX:MD where devs clearly wrote some settings are there for future hardware but no, it caused trolling that the game is bugged.

All these statements that can sum up as "Rockstar rocks, people suck"… Please.

-

About playing games on consoles, no. At least not if you don't get a headache from 30FPS slideshow. Depending on a game, I can't look at 30FPS more than 10 minutes, my eyes seriously start aching. Chess I can accept 1FPS, but Doom… Can't.

Well, that, and the fact that I can't get Reshade to work with Vulkan.
Reshade has no place on my PC. The game supports dx12 and you can change API through graphics settings ingame (game restart required after that). If reshade supports dx12 there you go.
I only experienced one crash to desktop so far.
I didn't have a single crash so far. Some people reported frequent CTDs, but setups I saw in those reports are so different I can't pinpoint the possible cause nor even speculate about it. Rockstar should.
Btw, do you also have the issue that when you attempt to start the game from the desktop shortcut that the Rockstar Launcher created, it's telling you to start it from the Launcher. It's ridiculous, and it's been there since launch. And they're not fixing it. Hilarious. :lol:
Yes, but it's a minor annoyance that doesn't have to be fixed ever. ;)
This is, again, one of the best looking games out there (actually, it's THE best looking game in the world right now)
Eye of beholder.

Games that per my taste look better than Rockstar's praise the mundanity product are:
The Witcher 3
Tomb Raider reboot (all three games)
Assassins Creed Odyssey
Final Fantasy 15

Also, to me, it's not just looks, all 4 are more fun that this horseriding simulator.

Reshade has no place on my PC. The game supports dx12 and you can change API through graphics settings ingame (game restart required after that). If reshade supports dx12 there you go.

Vulkan has superior performance, which is what I prefer.

Games that per my taste look better than Rockstar's praise the mundanity product are:
The Witcher 3
Tomb Raider reboot (all three games)
Assassins Creed Odyssey
Final Fantasy 15

Eye of the Beholder :)

Just spotted an article on PCG about another workaround with RDR2's CPU mismanagement problem (if your PC suffers from it).
Instead of Lasso which I suggested in one of previous posts, they used BES:
https://www.pcgamer.com/red-dead-redemption-2-stuttering-fix/
I've been chatting with our benchmarking expert Jarred Walton throughout RDR2's rough release week, and he says the root cause appears to be RDR2.exe juggling too many threads, or the simultaneous processes a given application kicks off to do its thing.

The solution for most cases of stuttering, suggested in multiple Reddit threads, is to limit how much of the CPU RDR2.exe can utilize. There are various ways of doing that—Task Manager can maybe work, but you're better off with a utility like Battle Encoder Shirasé (BES).
In case someone needs it, check it out.
Note that this is not a solution for frequent crashes to desktop some people report. It's aimed to minimize or completely remove micro freezes or micro stutters in the game if one is experiencing such game behavior during the playthrough.

At least you're not taking this to heart :)

No one directed this at you, specifically. I don't know about you - but your experience means something to me - as does my own. All we have is our experience - and that's what we're exchanging here.

It's not about putting you down.

So…. I'm not talking about statistics, I'm talking about my experience. In my experience, people really don't have much knowledge when it comes to tweaking games and making them run optimally.

I know, because I've worked with IT people for most of my life - and I'm always finding myself in the situation where I have to explain how games respond to a huge variety of setups and driver settings, etc., and what they should be doing to get them to run right.

If I had to take a wild guess, I'd say maybe 1 in 50 of the IT people/gamers I've personally interacted with - actually knows enough about tweaking and optimizing to make me trust their opinion.

That's a pretty significant statistic, based on my experience. It could be 1 in 45 - or maybe 1 in 70, I don't know. All I know is that it's EXTREMELY rare that I encounter someone that actually knows what the hell he or she is talking about, when it comes to game optimization.

A lot of people THINK they know more though - which is not quite the same.

Maybe you're the exception? Could be.

Forgive my scepticism, though. I have no idea what you're like in that way - or if you actually understand how these things work.

Great, so you can get it to run smoothly? I guess that sort of supports my point.

But, as I said, the game has a ridiculous amount of settings to tweak - and you're not telling us much in the way of how you set it up? Maybe somewhere else in the thread?

Im not IT guy, but I have few years of user history in gaming department.

I went through shitty release with this game and it took few days to solve it. I solved it by upgrading processor. Which was just half blind solution (rather then completely blind as someone suggested) because internet exists and with enough exploration and correctly asked questions its possible to find almost any info, including people who encounter same problems like me but know more about problematic. I found also same info as Joxer already posted at least twice about processor problems. So I was pretty sure processor is problem, I just wasnt so much sure the one Im switching to will not have same problem.

So happy I found this solution, which confirmed there are problems with processor optimalisation to me, I came to share info. Who knows, maybe someone finds it useful. But later I found out I made blind upgrade and that whole thing is probably exaggerated by people who just cannot tweak or maintain their computers. I know this wasnt directed at me, but yes, I took it personally at that point. Sorry about that.

Eye of the Beholder :)

Well yeah, an example of modern graphics you can't see in RDR2 and to doubt statements RDR2 is *the* best looking game:
Shadow-of-the-Tomb-Raider-new-672x372.jpg

I don't know if RDR2 has panthers, but the lion looked horrible in my game. Sadly didn't take a screenshot, it wasn't as bad as on this random internet uploaded ones, but close:
Red-Dead-Redemption-2-Lion-768x432.jpg

Maxresdefault_%281%29.jpg

What, is Lara not in RDR2? :)

Again, Eye of the Beholder. In this case, you really need to open yours. Perhaps you can try after opening your mind first?

So happy I found this solution, which confirmed there are problems with processor optimalisation to me, I came to share info. Who knows, maybe someone finds it useful. But later I found out I made blind upgrade and that whole thing is probably exaggerated by people who just cannot tweak or maintain their computers. I know this wasnt directed at me, but yes, I took it personally at that point. Sorry about that.

You don't really sound like you're over it just yet :)

Jesus, this is one amazing looking game. Just when I thought it looked good in the wilderness, I strolled through Valentine and it was the perfect moment of the day. The lighting was just gorgeous. It frikkin looked realistic af.

And, when I was done with the town, I rode back to camp, heard some wild cat growls, and went exploring. And got killed by a puma. It wanted to hug me. And she succeeded. Hilarious. :D

Yea, the western town of Valentine is remarkable…it's literally like stepping into an old west movie, they set it up perfectly with that wagon ride through the center of town - the extraordinary atmosphere and the old wooden buildings and various people like shopkeepers tending their shops, and shady looking guys hanging out near the saloon, and women sweeping and cleaning up around the shops and "women of the night" looking bored on the second level of the saloon patio, waiting for their next potential dusty, dirty grubby male customer, lol, and the various animals running around everywhere…its really something.

Most immersive town I have ever seen in a pc game, easily. With tons of people actually in the city doing their daily business instead of the ghost towns usually seen in most games.

Unfortunately all this atmosphere and immersion comes at a cost, and my old used to be top end gaming laptop is unable to handle it. My fps dropped drastically in the town and freezing was horrible.

I can see my machine simply won't cut it playing this game unless I go off to the desolate wilderness somewhere and spend all my time there…oh well. I need to buy a new gaming computer anyway - its about time - and am planning to do so next year sometime. Then I will be able to play this game (hopefully) in all its glory.

I need to buy a new gaming computer anyway - its about time - and am planning to do so next year sometime. Then I will be able to play Cyberpunk 2077 (hopefully) in all its glory.

I fixed that for you. ;)

Seriously though, I think I might have to get this game just to see these visuals you guys won't stop raving about. YouTube doesn't do them justice. It's a shame I have so little interest in the setting. I tried getting into RDR 1 several times, and it just didn't do much for me.

Imagine what a PC version of Horizon Zero Dawn could look like. :)

I fixed that for you. ;)

Seriously though, I think I might have to get this game just to see these visuals you guys won't stop raving about. It's a shame I have so little interest in the setting. I tried getting into RDR 1 several times, and it just didn't do much for me.

:biggrin: You have a point, I was negligent in forgetting I will need that shiny new powerful computer to also run 2077!

About RDR2, if you don't like westerns, then probably it won't be "all that" to you. So people who are raving are also probably like me and are already entranced by the western setting. My friend said he does think the graphics are awesome but he also doesn't find westerns appealing so he said he would only buy a game with these graphics if it was a fantasy rpg, otherwise he is skipping this game.

I fixed that for you. ;)

Seriously though, I think I might have to get this game just to see these visuals you guys won't stop raving about. YouTube doesn't do them justice. It's a shame I have so little interest in the setting. I tried getting into RDR 1 several times, and it just didn't do much for me.

Initially I had no interesting in getting this game but now I am thinking of getting it to see what these visuals are all about :)

However, I refuse to pay £55 for it so might wait for price drop a bit.

I can't wait for the inevitable posts from lost and JDR - telling us how the visuals aren't THAT good ;)

Please, don't. I have no idea what are they talking about. The game is pretty, but spectacular as some suggest? No, it isn't. And I know you played at least two of four games I mentioned visually outclassing the Rockstar's overrated title.

As about loving westerns, if you didn't watch Corbucci's Django but Tarantino's, we have nothing to talk about. I didn't watch Tarantino's - maybe I will eventually. But the old one is a masterpiece. Did my love for (okay, not for every piece of) western setting made me adore the game?

The setting is also misused. I said you're playing an arsehole. Who doesn't know what does he want except being an arsehole in every way possible. The problem? The arsehole is SJW. So you'll be helping women rights and offing KKK (for sakes of kill 7 hostiles while riding a horse because they come in groups as random encounter).
Wanna play SJW, regardless? Buy RDR2.
Thus I'm saying, your feeling towards the setting has nothing with what you can feel while playing this game.
The moment it appears on PC, I'm buying.
I can't wait for the inevitable posts from lost and JDR - telling us how the visuals aren't THAT good ;)
Just played it. The visuals aren't THAT good. I'm pretty disappointed actually. ;)
Not sure if it's just a joke, but you got +1.
As it's true.

Back
Top Bottom