Quantcast
Tyranny - Didn't sell well - Page 4 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Tyranny - Didn't sell well

Default Tyranny - Didn't sell well

May 19th, 2017, 21:07
Originally Posted by Lynchden View Post
Better than Morrigan?!? How is that even possible?
Because it's not. But even if there are good companions, compare to Bioware will be a disaster.

Now there's a "woman" companion a bit special, that really worth the try, Kill In Shadow. :-P

Originally Posted by luj1 View Post
In fact its the worst RPG I have ever played (except maybe Dungeon Lords)
Lol you should play more RPG and I won't forget always ignore any of your advices.

Originally Posted by GabrielMP_19 View Post
It didn't sell well cause it wasn't very good. That combat was pretty boring and the advertised replayability was a lie. In my second playthrough I helped the rebels and the game felt the same.
The same? Lol. Go argue that on a forum where players know the game like Steam forum of the game, and it will be quickly obvious you never played the game or at least not Rebels path and another, nor even different choices at strategic prelude.
Dasale is offline

Dasale

SasqWatch

#61

Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,469

Default 

May 19th, 2017, 21:43
Originally Posted by crpgnut View Post
I didn't like the premise. I prefer playing good-aligned mages and a single controlled characters, so it failed for me in multiple ways.
If you can play more good paths, overall the good-aligned aspect is a real problem. You'll have to manage it, and I'd say the game sort of learned me stop plain endlessly the good guy trying helping all. For the RPG I played after I surprised myself by trying some choices a bit nasty. Gee Tyranny the game that makes you become evil, sigh.

Firstly they did a lot of com around that thinking many players would be grabbed but the obvious truth is most players just hate play evil.

Secondly if your main character can roleplay a less evil aligned character, it's still an aspect you'll have to struggle with particularly if you want discover the full game and try the 4 main paths.

I'll try be very very general in explaining but this explain the spirit of the 4 main paths of the game, so it's in spoiler:

Spoiler


Originally Posted by crpgnut View Post
I bought Pillars of Eternity and spent a pretty penny on the KS. I won't back another Obsidian game ever, but will buy them after release if the reviews are good. In the case of Tyranny, I think I won a copy in a giveaway here, but haven't played it yet.
PoE definitely was overall a disappointment for me:
- In my opinion with only few exceptions it's the worst writing achievement for a dev usually good for that.
- There's something wrong in combats and too many points don't work well, from feeling of repetitions because of long range attacks and waiting at shock point, too many movements troubles, auto pause at skill finished too much harassing, more.
- It's the worst difficulty management I ever seen, no scaling and very open ended in a disaster.
- Almost all companions was tedious.

Still it's a solid significant RPG I advise anyway to fan of RPG and RtwP combats. There are quite good writing in some parts, both DLC rise the overall quality. A few companions are still noteworthy. There's many good combats. There's a lot of content with a very fair diversity. More positive aspects.

Overall I consider PoE project was a bit difficult to manage for the team. And it's more an accident that a game showing a dev that lost track of quality in RPG. Too much lore to create and not much clue on how make it interesting to read, too much obsession to attempt create "old school" gameplay elements with not much clues on their real fun. Their main source of clues on "old school" was coming too much from feeedback of some players, too much blind experiments in design, more.

So I pledged PoE2 and played Tyranny before that. Ironically I always been a bit skeptical about the dev I always felt overrated. But at end they made two RPG among my all time favorite, Mask of the Betrayer, and Tyranny.
Dasale is offline

Dasale

SasqWatch

#62

Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,469

Default 

May 20th, 2017, 09:24
Originally Posted by Dasale View Post
Just information from liars or ignorant. You can't imagine how different can be 3 plays if you choose well to organize them. That means easy 90H play duration (3*30H, for me one play could even be about 50H but ok slow play).
It is not surprising it did not sell well as they've made a product with no audience in two ways.
There is no audience for RTwP as the pool of players with the required skillset or ready to acquire it is too small.
There is also no audience for the type of storytelling they aimed for, that is a storytelling that requires several playthroughs to get the differences.

All of that is very relative, you can humiliate her with some talk or even you can sacrifice her if you want punish her for her SJW.
Which dismisses the agenda side.
--
Backlog:0
ChienAboyeur is offline

ChienAboyeur

SasqWatch

#63

Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 3,997

Default 

May 20th, 2017, 13:14
Originally Posted by ChienAboyeur View Post
It is not surprising it did not sell well as they've made a product with no audience in two ways.

There is no audience for RTwP as the pool of players with the required skillset or ready to acquire it is too small.

There is also no audience for the type of storytelling they aimed for, that is a storytelling that requires several playthroughs to get the differences.





Which dismisses the agenda side.


I am one of the few who enjoy the multiple stories in a game. But I dislike rtwp. So the game is not for me.

I would have loved the game otherwise I think.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pladio is offline

Pladio

Pladio's Avatar
Guardian of Nonsense
Original Sin Donor

#64

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 5,000
Send a message via MSN to Pladio

Default 

May 20th, 2017, 16:01
Originally Posted by Pladio View Post
I am one of the few who enjoy the multiple stories in a game. But I dislike rtwp. So the game is not for me.

I would have loved the game otherwise I think.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm with you. I love games that tell multiple stories taking different playthroughs.
Pongo is offline

Pongo

Pongo's Avatar
Sentinel
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

#65

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Brussels
Posts: 567

Default 

May 21st, 2017, 03:32
Originally Posted by ChienAboyeur View Post
There is no audience for RTwP as the pool of players with the required skillset or ready to acquire it is too small.
So RTwP games don't sell well because they're too difficult? That's what you're trying to say when you say people don't have the "required skillset", right? Let's get real, that's laughable. Most all of them have a bottom difficulty setting that a literal retard could play through with ease. The only recent exception to that I can even think of is Serpent in the Staglands, which is a very minor title. (And the SitS guys have already switched to turn-based for their next title)

No, the real reason RTwP games don't have a large builtin "audience" is just because not many people inherently like RTwP - it's a compromise that only truly satisfies a relatively small number of people. ADHD console kids would rather just have some true real-time, action combat like Mass Effect or Skyrim, and a very large chunk of the "old school" or "tactical" RPG crowd demands proper turn-based combat. So for a RTwP game to sell well it has to really excel in the other areas outside of combat, the bar is higher than for an action game or a turn-based game, since they can't fall back on "great combat".
Last edited by Stingray; May 21st, 2017 at 04:39.
Stingray is offline

Stingray

Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

#66

Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,107
+1:

Default 

May 21st, 2017, 14:40
Originally Posted by Stingray View Post
So RTwP games don't sell well because they're too difficult? That's what you're trying to say when you say people don't have the "required skillset", right? Let's get real, that's laughable.
+1
I thought it's people who buy games, not lobotomized monkeys. But then again, maybe I thought wrong.
--
Toka Koka
joxer is offline

joxer

joxer's Avatar
The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

#67

Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 14,293
+1:

Default 

Yesterday, 12:51
Originally Posted by Stingray View Post
Let's get real, that's laughable. Most all of them have a bottom difficulty setting that a literal retard could play through with ease.
That ease is hard to find. Through videos, players have kept showing they spam the pause function in order to be able to go through them.
Making them pause with some real time instead real time with pause.

Should be easy to point to a vid showing that ease.
--
Backlog:0
ChienAboyeur is offline

ChienAboyeur

SasqWatch

#68

Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 3,997

Default 

Yesterday, 12:59
Originally Posted by ChienAboyeur View Post
That ease is hard to find. Through videos, players have kept showing they spam the pause function in order to be able to go through them.
Making them pause with some real time instead real time with pause.

Should be easy to point to a vid showing that ease.
Actually, that only means that your definition of what RTwP should mean isn't the same as mine. To me it's quite the opposite, if a RTwP game can be played with little to no pausing, it's too easy or watered down regarding skills and abilities.

The pause function is there to be used, but I concur that it shouldn't be "spammed". But once say per round in a game like Baldurs gate in the harder fights seems about right to me.
Last edited by tomasp3n; Yesterday at 15:29.
tomasp3n is offline

tomasp3n

tomasp3n's Avatar
Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin Donor

#69

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Sweden
Posts: 1,409
+1:

Default 

Yesterday, 13:02
Originally Posted by tomasp3n View Post
Actually, that only means that your definition of what RTwP should mean is different to what others think. To me it's quite the opposite, if a RTwP game can be played with little to l no pausing, it's to easy or watered down regarding skills and abilities.

The pause function is there to be used.
Nah, I can't agree.

If the scripting is powerful, then your job - as a player - is to develop a sound strategy, by preparing the tactical responses for your characters. Essentially, you're fighting the fight before it happens.

That doesn't mean it's too easy - because if you develop a bad set of responses, you will invariably fail.

Dragon Age Origins is an excellent example of this, because the battles were quite challenging - but they were challenging in terms of developing the appropriate strategy against a variety of enemies. You did that through scripting - which happens BEFORE the actual battle.

That meant the battles would largely "play themselves" - but absolutely not without player input.

Same thing was true for Baldur's Gate, only to a lesser extent - because the tools were less sophisticated.
NewDArt is offline

NewDArt

Keeper of the Watch

#70

Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 702

Default 

Yesterday, 15:36
Huh, I guess that's why I didn't like DA:O then, I was probably only really bad at it. I did enjoy the system in FFXII though, where I used the scripting to a much higher degree.
tomasp3n is offline

tomasp3n

tomasp3n's Avatar
Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin Donor

#71

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Sweden
Posts: 1,409

Default 

Yesterday, 15:54
Originally Posted by tomasp3n View Post
Huh, I guess that's why I didn't like DA:O then, I was probably only really bad at it. I did enjoy the system in FFXII though, where I used the scripting to a much higher degree.
DA:O wasn't perfect, but it was more functional than most RTwP systems I've experienced.

I seem to recall X-Com Apocalypse being pretty good, too, but it's been so long I can't really remember the details.
NewDArt is offline

NewDArt

Keeper of the Watch

#72

Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 702

Default 

Yesterday, 20:18
Originally Posted by tomasp3n View Post
Actually, that only means that your definition of what RTwP should mean isn't the same as mine. To me it's quite the opposite, if a RTwP game can be played with little to no pausing, it's too easy or watered down regarding skills and abilities.

The pause function is there to be used, but I concur that it shouldn't be "spammed". But once say per round in a game like Baldurs gate in the harder fights seems about right to me.
Been here, been there already.

The pause function is meant to be used, not spammed. Players spam the pause function as a prop as they cant key the inputs in real time. They need a separate period to do that, they can not do it in the flow.

A product that limits the use of pause to 3 per battle would still fit the bill to allow the use of pause.
It would expose the issue since players who spam the pause function will be unable of keeping their circus on.

Satellite reign in its own time exposed that. It substituted the pause function with a slow mo function that serves the same purpose: it gives time to assess an unexpected situation and to key complicated sequences.
Players did not like because it could not be used as their usual prop.

Players do not play real time with pause. They play pause with real time. They pause, place inputs, unpause, rinse, repeat. A slide show.
--
Backlog:0
ChienAboyeur is offline

ChienAboyeur

SasqWatch

#73

Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 3,997

Default 

Yesterday, 20:30
Originally Posted by ChienAboyeur View Post
Players do not play real time with pause. They play pause with real time. They pause, place inputs, unpause, rinse, repeat. A slide show.
You are absolutely right. But if one does not want to use AI scripts but actually control everything themselves, is that wrong? I'm not saying it's the only way, but its the fact you think there's a "right" way you have to play that I don't agree with. In BG, were scripts were no good, did you still not pause the game frequently?

I really liked Satellite Reign, wouldn't have wanted a pause function in that one.
tomasp3n is offline

tomasp3n

tomasp3n's Avatar
Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin Donor

#74

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Sweden
Posts: 1,409
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Tyranny - Didn't sell well
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 01:43.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright by RPGWatch