Skyrim - What's New @ GameSpy

Yes, as always, if you have the right spells you can do all sorts of things - but backpedalling made combat while fleeing possible, which had a huge impact. It will be interesting to see if combat is now appreciably harder, and if certain "classes" are disadvantaged.

For what its worth, I think back-pedalling is effectively an exploit, but that didn't stop me from using it as a tactical option.

My mage in Oblivion exclusively used "touch" offensive spells (meaning you have to be in melee range) and used light armour.

I sucked at targeting moving targets in Oblivion and one out of every three target spells tended to miss the target! Hence I went the "touch" spell route. It wasn't too bad at all. Touch spells were cheaper to cast and with a pet and all the protection buffs active, I did pretty well. If you added block to your mage its even easier. So my point is back peddling wasn't necessary even in Oblivion.

The thing I hated most about in Oblivion as mage was, you have to select the spell first then hit the cast key. Why won't they let me select and cast in one go?

Handmade arrows take a lot of time and skill to make well.

Yes. I suppose so.

Action-RPGs treat these things like ... BEEEP. Therefore, everyone forgetws how much work they need.

It's like our waste-economy : Is it broken ? Throw it away ! And buy a new one ! No need for fixing it anymore !

Smaug certainly didn't advertise Dragonbone armor very efficiently, what with that kink and all.

Obviously, monster gear didn't scale in The Hobbit ;)

While I can appreciate how difficult arrows must have been to make, I don't see why it should somehow be more scarce than other items in the game world so as to merit being pointedly referred to as such. Besides, I've played Beth games since MW and if a wasteland setting such as in FO3 never made me feel anything was scarce, I doubt Skyrim will be any different.

Cast chameleon or invisibility, turn around and run. Or summon a critter behind your foe and run when he's distracted. Or create a shield to absorb/reflect damage for you. Or paralyse/burden your foe and run away.

I wonder if in Skyrim enemies will stop chasing you at some point. In Oblivion they chased you forever.

Classes were totally meaningless in every TES game so it makes sense to remove them.

Actually, classes were very important to gameplay. They determine which skills contribute to level ups.

Deciding what perks you are going to choose probably takes more thinking then picking your attributes at level up.

We'll see, but if the perks are anything like FO3, their benefit is extremely obvious, while determining what intelligence is needed to successfully enchant, create a potion or spellmake was tricky in Morrowind. Oblivion removed a lot of that complexity.

We'll see, but if the perks are anything like FO3, their benefit is extremely obvious, while determining what intelligence is needed to successfully enchant, create a potion or spellmake was tricky in Morrowind. Oblivion removed a lot of that complexity.

That aspect of Morrowind wasn't complex it was just obtuse.

I like that they added a completed tag to dungeons, caves, etc that you explore. I always had a hard time figuring out if I had done something or not - esppecially after a stretch of not playing. Bit easier to rememember a place you visit in real life so in the virtual world I don't mind a little help.

Bows? Here's my limited history of bow use in RPGs.

Faery tale adventure. I used bow early on when I couldn't kill stuff on the other side of the screen from waving a dirk in the air. It only lasted until I found the wand anyway.

ADND gold box games. Don't want to waste your spells? Not enough HP to risk a melee? Bring on the bows, darts, slings! 1d6 of "hey, its better than Guard."

Baldurs Gate 1. Everyone gets a ranged weapon to start! Small group of 6-12 hp level 1s will wreck xvarts and stuff with their bows. The goblin commandos with fire arrows were perfect for a salvo of giant toothpicks.

Will I use a bow in skyrim? What for? Skill based system should see me perfectly strong in close quarters combat. If I snipe them all from the shadows who is left to fight?

Actually classes didn't determine what contributed to your level up. It was what you picked for your major skills that determined what contributes to your level up. (which is still in Skyrim but now dynamic) A game where classes are important would be where they are unique and the class you pick determines what you can do and you can't just go create a character with a mix of anything you want. (like in TES games)

PS. Determining what stats to put points into in Morrowind was far easier then picking your perks in Fallout and figuring out whether or not the perk would actually stay useful or even help at all.

PPS. The best game series for bow usage was the Might & Magic series.

Wrong. The classes in Skyrim and Morrowind are defined by their major skills (and minor skills for Morrowind). Or, you can create a custom class where you picked the major and minor skills. Skyrim has gotten rid of the whole idea of a major skills with the removal of classes. Not that I will miss the concept, since it was a crappy system. But removing classes entirely rather than fixing them is just plain lazy.

Actually it was very clear in Fallout that some perks are pretty worthless and are there for flavor only, and which ones helped with combat or other skills. Pretty obvious stuff, for me, at least.

... Skyrim has gotten rid of the whole idea of a major skills with the removal of classes. Not that I will miss the concept, since it was a crappy system. But removing classes entirely rather than fixing them is just plain lazy.

Normally I would agree with the sentiment that completely scraping a feature instead of fixing it is lazy design, but I think this could be a case where they removed a mediocre aspect of the game and added in something that is better. I have no problem with a developer taking out a feature that is underwhelming, so long as they replace it with something else that works better and adds in more depth than the feature that is replaced. This will all depend on how the perks function of course, but I imagine that they will be far more useful and relevant to specific character building than the Fallout system. I think using the term "perks" was a mistake, as it conjures up the specific image of Fallout's system, which aside from not being very good (imo), doesn't fit in a fantasy RPG very well if implemented in the same exact way as Fallout.

I like that they added a completed tag to dungeons, caves, etc that you explore.

I haven't read anything about this. Can you please elaborate? Do you have links where this is discussed? I like the idea because like you, I can have long pauses between gaming sessions (sometimes as long as half a year) and anything that can help me remember what I've done I'm interested in.

Back
Top Bottom