Fallout 76 - Wastelanders Update - Page 2 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Fallout 76 - Wastelanders Update

Default Fallout 76 - Wastelanders Update

February 6th, 2020, 01:31
I got my money’s worth out of FO76, anything extra in my camp didn’t cost actual money just using up the microthingys earnt from dailies and other quests. I didn’t miss human NPCs at all, the messages, robots and bits of information I came across gave an eery, desolate feeling. Initially, I ran away from other players but when I did play alongside with others it was brief, polite and silent. The players who build the most spectacular camps really don’t mind you having a look round. Very few things I couldn’t solo or just tag along with a silent group. Initially the lack of communication (no one has their mic on) seemed problematic but I wonder now if even adding in a text communication might bring with it the toxicity I associate with MMO. I’m looking forward to wastelanders and its not going to cost a penny.

Qayto

Watcher
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

February 6th, 2020, 03:45
"Level 157" and "farmed the hell out of" are two phrases that fuel my continued idea that I will most likely never play this.

JFarrell71

Sentinel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

February 6th, 2020, 05:10
Originally Posted by JFarrell71 View Post
"Level 157" and "farmed the hell out of" are two phrases that fuel my continued idea that I will most likely never play this.
Why? No one is forcing you to play that way.

As for myself, I haven't played FO76 yet, but this expansion has piqued my interest. There's a good chance I'll give it a try when it hits Steam.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)

February 6th, 2020, 05:47
I didn't mind the launch version. I would have played more had I been able to convince someone to play it with me. Round 2, I guess.

SirJames

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)

February 6th, 2020, 08:16
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
Why? No one is forcing you to play that way.

As for myself, I haven't played FO76 yet, but this expansion has piqued my interest. There's a good chance I'll give it a try when it hits Steam.
That's like saying nobody is forcing me to king my checkers. It's the way the game is designed to be played. You farm for shit and gain dozens of levels in some games, and in others, you don't.

JFarrell71

Sentinel

February 6th, 2020, 08:28
That's like saying nobody is forcing me to king my checkers. It's the way the game is designed to be played. You farm for shit and gain dozens of levels in some games, and in others, you don't.
Er..no, it's not. It's designed for that to be an option. If it was necessary, it would be common knowledge by now.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)

February 6th, 2020, 08:51
Can't agree with that. There are different ways to play crpgs (not necessarily all of them). I often play several alts in parallall, and I often play them differently, including how much I farm, create gear and so on.

A pibbur who when it comes to playing games no doubt can't make up his mind.
--
Over the mountain watching the watcher

a pibbur

Feeling … lonely?

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

February 6th, 2020, 08:56
Originally Posted by a pibbur View Post
Can't agree with that. There are different ways to play crpgs (not necessarily all of them). I often play several alts in parallall, and I often play them differently, including how much I farm, create gear and so on.

A pibbur who when it comes to playing games no doubt can't make up his mind.
Sure. What I mean but didn't express well is that there are elements in games that speak to what they're about and I'm not about those things I quoted. In other words, there are RPGs where you won't and can't gain 157 levels (or even a third that number), and there are RPGs where there's really no such thing as farming (or any need or use for such). It makes me think of MMOs and grinding and power gaming, and I'm not into any of those things.

JFarrell71

Sentinel

+1:

February 6th, 2020, 09:11
Thanks. Now I understand.

A pibbur who at the moment can't come up with anything to write as a pibbur who phrase.
--

a pibbur

Feeling … lonely?

February 6th, 2020, 20:13
I played 300hrs + last Christmas, Never had a problem playing it single and never once got harassed, in-fact it kinda makes the game come alive as you see other players in all sorts of guises going about their business. One of my most defining moments in gaming was when I finally managed to infiltrate a Nuke silo and insert the launch codes and fire the Nuke any where on the map that I desired, very satisfying listening to the announcement to everyone in game: Looking forward to NPC'S.

skally_wag

Sentinel

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
+1:

February 6th, 2020, 22:00
Originally Posted by a pibbur View Post
I am a little embarassed to tell you this, but contrary to most (all?) watchers, I have played and enjoyed FO76. And I'm therefore looking forward to this.

a pibbur who will accept being called a moron, or (with a few exceptions) other derogatory terms.

PS. I see the need for a dislike button now. DS.
for shame

booboo

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)

February 7th, 2020, 13:57
Originally Posted by booboo View Post
for shame
Indeed. :evenbiggergrin

a pibbur
--

a pibbur

Feeling … lonely?

February 7th, 2020, 21:39
Well, the reason we played Fallout 76 like an MMO rather than RPG was because it's Endgame had not many other options for group activities rather than farming Gear, or doing pvp.
We tried to get Junk to build up Camps, to build Weapons and Armor and also farmed Legendaries to get the best possible Weapon suffixes.
We didn't see Fallout 76 as a classical RPG but as a Action RPG with a splash of FPS.

I don't know why, but after a couple of hours into the game, i felt like playing a MMO rather than a RPG, even Fallout 4 and Skyrim felt more like a RPG than Fallout 76.

Mordegar

Watcher

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

February 7th, 2020, 22:57
While I find FO76 to be a lesser game than anything else from Bethesda, it isn't horrible. It just wasn't what anyone was craving. Bethesda seemed to just throw crap together and toss it out to the public. It still makes money though, which is mildly surprising. I'm mildly hopeful for the new mode of play.
--
c-computer, r-role, p-playing, g-game, nut-extreme fan
=crpgnut or just
'nut @crpgnut

crpgnut

Skyrim Worshipper
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)

February 7th, 2020, 23:12
Originally Posted by crpgnut View Post
It still makes money though, which is mildly surprising.
Why is it surprising? Bethesda have been making the same game for the past 20+ years and people lap it up.

Drithius

Laughing Gnome

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)

February 8th, 2020, 01:14
Originally Posted by Mordegar View Post
… and also farmed Legendaries to get the best possible Weapon suffixes.
See, that sounds about as fun to me as cleaning toilets.

JFarrell71

Sentinel

February 8th, 2020, 07:41
Agreed. To me it sounds like a survival looter shooter and the market is literally flooded with games of this ilk. They appeal to a certain demographic who likes to play the same game every day and watch the numbers on their character get slowly bigger - this process is normally accelerated by paying $$$. The only skill involved is the amount of time you spend or a size of your wallet.
--
Favourite RPGs of all time: Wizardry 6, Ultima 7/7.2, Fallout2, Planescape Torment, Baldurs Gate 2+TOB, Jagged Alliance 2, Ravenloft: The stone prophet, Gothic 2, Realms of Arkania:Blade of destiny (not the HD version!!) and Secret of the Silver Blades.

bjon045

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

February 8th, 2020, 13:53
Originally Posted by bjon045 View Post
The only skill involved is the amount of time you spend or a size of your wallet.
Hence the angry reception by this site, reads like a tailor made vid product.
--
Backlog:0

ChienAboyeur

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)

February 8th, 2020, 14:23
Ahh. Cleaning toilets. The memories!

Ooops!
--

a pibbur

Feeling … lonely?

February 8th, 2020, 15:41
Waiting for 7 April

evguenil

Traveler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)