Knights of Light - AAA historical action RPG

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Knights of Light is on Kickstarter and is described as an indie AAA historical action RPG set in the Middle East. The goal of 100K Euro has 54 days to go.

The Game Story

Knights of Light is a new game franchise based on the history of the middle east. It covers a time period from early medieval to late medieval ages which is a fresh and original scope that is NEVER introduced before.

The first game focuses on the battle of "Al Qadissiyah" between the Sassanian empire and the Islamic Caliphate at 636 AD. It was a great decisive battle occurred at the land of Iraq.

The story will feature war and conflicts from different perspectives. The player will not find pure angels against worthless barbarians, Instead he will face moral and diverse conflicts with deep character development from both his allies and enemies through the campaign.

The main battle will not be the core event instead it will be a part of the campaign timeline. And even the side stories are based on the local communities and tribes that existed back then. Every faction had their alliances and disputes before and after the conflict.

Despite being a historical story we will introduce some fantasy elements. This will add diversity and more enjoyment for the player. But we confirm here that it will be a branched optional story to make it distinguished from the main story. The Middle Eastern fantasy & culture are RARELY introduced in games that is why the experience will be very authentic and different. However if any player loves to stick with realism in his experience he can easily choose not play these path in the story.

Our game writer is very obsessed with history to the tiniest details. His specialty is the military conflicts in the middle ages. He believes no matter the time and era is distant there is only one truth: Human nature with its beliefs, morals, motives & conflicts.

To provide more authentic references we have the consultation of an academic history professor from the university of Toronto who will cooperate with our writer to review and validate the project historical accuracy.
More information.

I remember reading about this game a few months back.

So I might as well back it but funding looks slow.

If it's going to depict islamic conquests, especially being developed in the same city as the infamous al-azhar, i don't see how it's going to be anything but a whitewash. the islamic world already as a extraordinarily skewed perspective of history and the world.

I don't like the combat animations. Too fast and unrealistic.

400km world? Half of it will be reserved for expansions? Big red flags.

18 employees is way too small for a game this ambitious. Their constant mentions of becoming a triple AAA studio sound delusional. Stay away from this.

Last edited:
I'm inclined to agree with Silver Coin. They describe themselves as an official publisher on Sony playstation platform. I'm not really sure what that means.

It means they have permission to publish games on the playstation store

Self-Publish on PlayStation™Store
Put your game in front of millions of players without any listing fees. You own the IP and pick the release date. Then use our sales reports to track your revenue.

https://partners.playstation.net/

The graphics look nice enough. Varied landscapes and pretty crisp images.

I find their pitch confusing though. A historical RPG with optional fantasy elements? I'd want to hear a bit more about these fantasy elements, which aren't otherwise explained. Also:

We have decided to start with a small initial goal that will provide the bare minimum game-play for steam early access. However several stretch goal ahead and the full game features will be funded resulting in no early access.

I'm wary that the goal is for early access rather than full release.

18 employees is way too small for a game this ambitious. Their constant mentions of becoming a triple AAA studio sound delusional. Stay away from this.
I'm not appealed by the topic of this game, but did ELEX benefit of a bigger dev team? I also wonder for Kingdom Come (not played).

Everything in ELEX (or Kingdom Come) com is saying it's an AAA game. I mean there's true AAA game, and there's games looking AAA.

Sigh, KS mentions PC, so they are such computer ignorant, to not know that Personal Computer is vague? I won't bother ask I know those ignorant will "explain" me it means Windows.

Looks fine for a pre-alpha. I would never say no to an historical hack&slash...

Historical game with Iraqi Knights in the VII Century? Wow
Hope they have some good Chinese Legionaries too or one of those nice Aztec Samurai I have heard of.

Despite being a historical story we will introduce some fantasy elements.
Indie crowdfunded or AAA.
Historical or fantasy.
Pee or poo.

Wake me up please when they move away from ideas gathering part and make decisions what game they're making. Unless it's a game about chaos with everything.

AAA games are not kickstarted.

Only Divinity:OS, but that was more of a pre-order thing for a game they were already making. What you're really paying for was the update videos with Swen. :)

Ok, so, I hear Kingdom come, but I reckon that was more double A :p

Star Citizen? Ask me again if they ever release it because having an unreleased game is their entire business model!

I'm not appealed by the topic of this game, but did ELEX benefit of a bigger dev team? I also wonder for Kingdom Come (not played).

Everything in ELEX (or Kingdom Come) com is saying it's an AAA game. I mean there's true AAA game, and there's games looking AAA.

I don't know about Elex, but Kingdom Come Deliverance cost $36m to make (including marketing of which it didn't have much), the studio had over 100 devs working on it at the end too. That game was low AAA in term of budget and team size.

In their defence, they are calling it "indie AAA" and not AAA!

It does appear to be a bit ambitious a project for the staff they have on hand, but I'm hoping they'll pull a decent game out of this. If nothing else I wish them luck, more indie games are good for all of us.

Yeah I'm putting that backer pledge on hold after taking a second look at the project.:nod:

Back
Top Bottom