Skyrim - What's New Interview @ IGN

Consider the source: IGN. They're all about consoles, multiplayer, and graphics. It's not really surprising that their questions focused on these issues.

Out of the ~18 serious questions, 4 were about "these issues", and about 12 were directly gameplay related.

So were exactly did you pull your statement out of?

Seriously...

Seriously…

No need to get indignant...

The interview seemed to ask many questions that have already been asked and answered.

What's left that I would consider 'new' focused largely on graphics, consoles, and multiplayer.

Of course, if this interview is your first exposure to sky rim info, then the review does provide some good q & a.

They axed the spell making system and all you have is what they have talked about with duel wielding spells and different mouse button presses doing different things with spells. That pretty much means they dumbed down the spell system severely and it is now very limited. Since I was planning to go exclusively mage from now on in TES games I will not be buying Skyrim. If I can't do the kinds of spells I was using in the previous games (which were mostly mixed spells) then I won't be using magic and since I started to hate melee (have always hated archery) in these games I won't be playing.

PS. Even though Enchanting is a magic based skill how does it really belong to magic users when you barely get any benefit out of it and the character type that gets the most benefit out of it is the melee archetype. You can enchant your clothes, jewelry, and staff but that barely does anything compared to a properly created spell.

I find it ludicrous that you have decided not to buy based on what you surmised from this short interview about a game that's eight months out from release...
I haven't read anything yet that would be a game breaker for me. This is going to be one hell of a great game!

I'm curious about that. I mean they're big enough that they would have had access to the DX11 stuff pre-release. I know that they've been working on Skyrim for 3-4 years, but you think they would have had enough time to fit it in. I guess this IS an indicator of the influence of console editions. If Skyrim was pc-only, it'd have DX11, you can bet. I really don't mind, because it could have Oblivion graphics and I'd be a day one buyer. Anyone remember if FNV had DX11?

Bethesda always says all versions will look the same and then the PC versions blows the console versions out of the water. They just say that for PR reasons, they don't want console gamers thinking they are getting inferior versions.

I would bet DX11 adds some nice effects and such, nothing essential but nice to have. Dragon Age 2 looks significantly better in DX11.

People usually buy according to the platform they own.

Console only can only buy on consoles. Same for PCs. When both are owned, the performance is taken into account. Players want to play games and if their version is slightly inferior to one on another platform, do they cancel their purchase? I dont think so.

Relevant question is whether or not they expect the sales on PC to be good enough to involve a rather extensive use of DX11 features. Or if a portage from consoles to PC is enough. Lets the modding communauty do the rest.

Bethesda always says all versions will look the same and then the PC versions blows the console versions out of the water. They just say that for PR reasons, they don't want console gamers thinking they are getting inferior versions.

Somewhat true, but the tradeoff is that only PC gamers with high-end systems have been able to run a new Elder Scrolls game at release with all the bells and whistles.

Big thing with TES are mods , when you own both pc and console there is no reason to buy the console version.
There are some official statements that spellmaking is out ?

I saw one guy in the official TES forum who said he preferred playing the game on his console, despite also owning the game for PC and having modding it. He love to relax in his couch while playing...

As for spellmaking, we know 2 things:
A) The old system won't be coming back, because it doesn't work with how the new spell works (part of the old spellmaking system is now done "on-the-fly")

B) Bethesda want some form of Spellmaking to be in the game and are working on it (that's why they aren't talking about it, same thing for mounts actually).

Big thing with TES are mods , when you own both pc and console there is no reason to buy the console version.

There IS one reason: one owns a PC that can not handle the game well.

Modding will very likely go to the cosmetic side first (with unsatisfaction mods as players will not agree with the developpers'choices, call them bugs and will want choices fitting their tastes)
This will increase the load on PC requirements to get the most out of Skyrim. You'll need a PC both to play the game and the mods smoothly.

If it were for modding, as substantial mods will take time, it would be a good reason to put off Skyrim's purchase to get it at a discount and buy a new rig with it, say six, eight months after the game release.

But if you do so, you'll miss the Internet fever of the first three months after release, the hot pseudo-debates on what the game should have been, the flame wars, the fanboys figthing for their game to the last, the long time veterans sinking into nostalgia and so on... A big, big part of what makes gaming today. Gaming is such a social event...

If it were for modding, as substantial mods will take time, it would be a good reason to put off Skyrim's purchase to get it at a discount and buy a new rig with it, say six, eight months after the game release.

But if you do so, you'll miss the Internet fever of the first three months after release, the hot pseudo-debates on what the game should have been, the flame wars, the fanboys figthing for their game to the last, the long time veterans sinking into nostalgia and so on… A big, big part of what makes gaming today. Gaming is such a social event…

That's the best reasons I have heard that describes why it's advantageous to buy at release…

Oh, but you can enjoy all the drama even without ever owning the game!

LOL! So true, but why be a spectator when you can contribute your own experiences to the drama - from the highs of excited expectations, to the lows of disgusted disappointment. ;)

LOL! So true, but why be a spectator when you can contribute your own experiences to the drama - from the highs of excited expectations, to the lows of disgusted disappointment. ;)

I thought half the fun was uninformed discussions? Why play the game when you can rant ill-informedly anyway?! :p

But if you do so, you'll miss the Internet fever of the first three months after release, the hot pseudo-debates on what the game should have been, the flame wars, the fanboys figthing for their game to the last, the long time veterans sinking into nostalgia and so on… A big, big part of what makes gaming today. Gaming is such a social event…

I fail to see how any of those things make the actual game more enjoyable.

Somewhat true, but the tradeoff is that only PC gamers with high-end systems have been able to run a new Elder Scrolls game at release with all the bells and whistles.

Wing Commander was similar in that respect.

One sentence response to boost post count. I'm gonna catch Alrik and JDR before the end of the year :D

I've really got to stop swigging this diet Mtn. Dew.

People usually buy according to the platform they own.

Console only can only buy on consoles. Same for PCs. When both are owned, the performance is taken into account. Players want to play games and if their version is slightly inferior to one on another platform, do they cancel their purchase? I dont think so.

Some people are pretty anal about such things. When the Mafia 2 demo made it clear that both console versions looked like crap compared to the PC version there was a near-revolt on the 2K boards. People were claiming they were canceling their pre-orders because they didn't want an "inferior version for the same price" and things like that. I've seen the same sorts of comments for other games as well.

How honest those people were being I couldn't say, but in the end I am sure it is good PR to make everyone think the version they are stuck with is just as good as the other two.

Back
Top Bottom