Eador: Masters of the Broken World - Free Forever Until Sunday

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Eador: Masters of the Broken World is free to own forever until this Sunday.

5 Years — MotBW is free to keep forever!

20 April - Snowbird Games

Hi everyone,

It's a big day today. Our first game Eador. Masters of the Broken World, came out exactly 5 years ago. It was and it is a bit rough around the edges, but still, to this day we're proud of what we've managed to achieve with such a small team.

Naturally, this anniversary calls for proper celebration. So starting today and until Sunday, the game is completely free and yours forever, if you just click 'Install Game' on Eador's Steam page in time. Tell your friends, share the news! Nothing beats free, right? Be warned though, Eador is notorious for eating your time like no other game — in a good way!

Some info for newcoming players. When you launch the game, you can see a banner to the left of the menu, that's a newer game in the series, Eador. Imperium, which is currently on sale with a 50% discount. What are the differences between the two?

In short, Masters of the Broken World has this huge, non-linear and sandboxy single-player campaign, that will occupy you for the longest time.

We tried to experiment with this in Imperium, where we created five handcrafted story campaigns, and also added new heroes and units (keeping all the original ones), changed and introduced some new mechanics. A good chunk of the code was rewritten, and as a result, the game is much more stable. In both games you can create custom shards (maps) with different settings, where you can play however you like. So if you find yourself enjoying MotBW, we see no reason not to give Imperium a try. Just saying.

Thanks for sticking (and bearing) with us!
More information.

I also liked playing that game for a while, but the giant problem with it is that every map is more or less the same (random, yes, but it doesn't change much about the gameplay) and you always start from 0, taking nothing from the last mission to the next one. Except some more resources and maybe some spell or unit to start with as you become more powerful.

There's just a distinct lack of any feeling of progression, so I never played more than a few shards into the campaign before I stopped.

That said, you can easily play a single map for hours, so you still get a lot of fun for the price - especially if it is free now.

I like this new (new to me anyway) trend of offering not-super-old games for free, such as this and recently Crusader Kings II, both of which I have downloaded and will try at some point. It would seem to make business sense as I would probably never give either of these any sort of first look otherwise, and if I like one then I might buy a later game in the series.

I also liked playing that game for a while, but the giant problem with it is that every map is more or less the same (random, yes, but it doesn't change much about the gameplay) and you always start from 0, taking nothing from the last mission to the next one. Except some more resources and maybe some spell or unit to start with as you become more powerful.

There's just a distinct lack of any feeling of progression, so I never played more than a few shards into the campaign before I stopped.

That said, you can easily play a single map for hours, so you still get a lot of fun for the price - especially if it is free now.

Didn't you get the feeling that AI is cheating on you? When you just pick just one AI opponent he/she always seems to be WAY ahead of you in the development. And when you capture one of his towns the terrain is always explored only by about 40, 50%. Like AI knew exactly where to look and when to stop... :)

"It's a big day today. Our first game Eador. Masters of the Broken World, came out exactly 5 years ago."

I thought Eador: Genesis was the first game in the series? Did they disown it or something? It's still for sale on GOG.

"It's a big day today. Our first game Eador. Masters of the Broken World, came out exactly 5 years ago."

I thought Eador: Genesis was the first game in the series? Did they disown it or something? It's still for sale on GOG.

Genesis was released by one Russian man. Broken was released by Snow Bird games.

Eador: Genesis is one of my favorite games of all time. Masters of the Broken World was a solid and fun game. Awful buggy at first and the computer turns took forever was not optimized.

With enough energy you can take your hero and all his spells / equipment with you for the next shard. True enough, it's hard to get that amount of energy, especially in the beginning, but after a while I was always able to take my hero (no spells or items, to save energy) to the next shard. Which made quite a big difference :)

Genesis was released by one Russian man. Broken was released by Snow Bird games.

Eador: Genesis is one of my favorite games of all time. Masters of the Broken World was a solid and fun game. Awful buggy at first and the computer turns took forever was not optimized.

Broken World was ok but I think Genesis was actually the better game. Less pretty but played better.

Never played Genesis, but I tried MotBW and didn't really care for it.

It's very slow-paced even for a strategy game, and the maps felt overly long and grindy to me.

When you compare the two games, obviously the second is far superior, but the first it still worth playing, especially for free. In my opinion, of course.

Back
Top Bottom