Realms Beyond - World Building #3

As a comparison, ToEE is pretty extensive and uses turn-based combat, but it certainly doesn't take 500 hours to complete. (Surveys say around 65 hours for completionists.) Part of that may be due to the D&D v3 system, which provides faster leveling up. But certainly the game designers would have changed things up if BG were turn-based so that the combat wouldn't drag things along too much. Presumably that would have meant fewer but more interesting battles.

Guess I'm just agreeing with daveyd here.

BG was significantly larger than ToEE.

I like both types of combat, but I think RTwP worked great for the IE games, and I feel they made the right choice in using it. I couldn't imagine playing BG or IWD any other way.

Bioware's reason for choosing RTwP was that it was deemed more marketable than turn-based. Thanks to the baffling popularity of Diablo, ARPGs were all the rage so they were figured a turn-based party RPG would seem too dated. Maybe they were "right". Interplay almost made Fallout RT, too. I'm glad they didn't.

IMO, trying to adapt PnP game to a real time game engine is a terrible idea. You'd be better off starting from scratch and designing the rules with real-time in mind. Of course that won't solve the horrendous pathfinding issues.

I'd probably enjoy BG a lot more if it were TB, but only if it was implemented it well. I've never played BG2 all the way through because of the tedious combat. But if they threw that many hordes at me, I don't think I'd complete it even if it had ToEE's combat.

Bioware's reason for choosing RTwP was that it was deemed more marketable than turn-based. Thanks to the baffling popularity of Diablo, ARPGs were all the rage so they were figured a turn-based party RPG would seem too dated. Maybe they were "right". Interplay almost made Fallout RT, too. I'm glad they didn't.

IMO, trying to adapt PnP game to a real time game engine is a terrible idea. You'd be better off starting from scratch and designing the rules with real-time in mind. Of course that won't solve the horrendous pathfinding issues.

I'd probably enjoy BG a lot more if it were TB, but only if it was implemented it well. I've never played BG2 all the way through because of the tedious combat. But if they threw that many hordes at me, I don't think I'd complete it even if it had ToEE's combat.
That is not what I read. What I read is that Bioware was making an engine that was similar to RTS games that were popular at the time. Interplay needed an engine for a new RPG game so they worked together.

That is not what I read. What I read is that Bioware was making an engine that was similar to RTS games that were popular at the time. Interplay needed an engine for a new RPG game so they worked together.

This. Actually the "Battleground: Infinity"-Engine was more like an RTS game than a CRPG. The D&D license was fiddled into the finished game.

Phew: I agree with you AGAIN, Archangel. Time to remove you from my ignore list

You only put me on ignore because I was new and you didn't know I don't take posting online seriously so I like to troll and poke a bit, play the devil advocate and all that :D

Back
Top Bottom