Expeditions: Viking - Release Day

Here's a pic, no I didn't cheat or something:

pic.jpg

Happened after my village wealth that went up a bit

Did the same as you but it doesn't matter - IMO both parties are evil and the poor thing is just being used as a reason to start another eye4eye clash in between.

Of course ...
That's what they do ...

There's a good miniseries about it by the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So besides of the several partially citical bugs, there are a couple of things I really dislike so far:

-Start of the combat is bad. With no initiative, no formation and no placement phase, enemies might just kill you if they get the first move. It might be necessary to try a combat multiple times just to find the right way to "enter" it.
-Crafting skills are almost pointless because you maxed out everything even before leaving for your actual journey. That's also because you have to create your own characters with your choice of stat distribution. Would have prefered it to chose from a couple of presets instead. Or at least put them in as option. This way you are basically pushed to minmax.
-I had fun with the majority of quests. But there is one in particular which I didn't like and which was imho designed badly. There is a forceful solution and a peaceful solution. And you are basically told that you can look for a peaceful one. But what do don't know: There might not be one for you as it is dependent on a previous decision. So
1. there is only a forceful and very "bad feeling" solution for you
2. without looking into the forums you'd never know it and would still look for the peaceful one

So far I like the dense quest structure, but Expeditions: Conquistador was more polished and had the better combat system and better overall balancing.

Well...there is the savegames which vanish for some people. At a certain point the game starts crashing more or less constantly and you can get stuck on a main quest if you do it in certain circumstances.

So right now they are fighting with 3 game breaking bugs.

And the hotfix patch 1.0.1h was rolled back as it broke more than it fixed.

Personally I will pause for now, continue playing Fallout 4 and continue playing with 1.0.1.5 or 1.0.2 depending on what they are fixing with each version.

-Start of the combat is bad. With no initiative, no formation and no placement phase, enemies might just kill you if they get the first move. It might be necessary to try a combat multiple times just to find the right way to "enter" it.
But as we got ourself a huge experience with blunderbus/arqebus Eternity… ;)
The strategy is to put points in shield on your squishies ASAP and use shield as the default equipment (upper pair), it'll block often. After hostiles' initial turn you may switch to bows, spears, twohanded axes, etc and pwn. Later you'll have enough skillpoints and shields to put this setup on your team of apostles (12 of them).
Yea… My protagonist is a healer with bows as a weapon of choice. But who is also skilled with shields. :D

-Crafting skills are almost pointless because you maxed out everything even before leaving for your actual journey. That's also because you have to create your own characters with your choice of stat distribution. Would have prefered it to chose from a couple of presets instead. Or at least put them in as option. This way you are basically pushed to minmax.
IMO the problem are those three additional NPCs you create. If they were kicked out of the game completely it'd be another story. Crafting is not pointless, it's just you get some "too good" weapons earlygame. You can't get everything ofc, you don't have $ nor materials to spare.
Anyway, the game has too many active NPCs in the party, those three could (and should) have been just props.

-I had fun with the majority of quests. But there is one in particular which I didn't like and which was imho designed badly. There is a forceful solution and a peaceful solution. And you are basically told that you can look for a peaceful one. But what do don't know: There might not be one for you as it is dependent on a previous decision. So
1. there is only a forceful and very "bad feeling" solution for you
2. without looking into the forums you'd never know it and would still look for the peaceful one
Actually I didn't know and did it. The "best" solution. There is my post on the Steam forum about it and I believe I was the first to answer on how to solve it. :p
And I love that quest actually. You're forgetting that you don't have to kill anyone, there is a skull icon in each fight turned on by default (glowing) and means killing, if you turn it off, noone will be killed just KOed (not only in that quest, sparing lives in unavoidable fights can net you either thralls or more $ in some quests).

So far I like the dense quest structure, but Expeditions: Conquistador was more polished and had the better combat system and better overall balancing.
I have to disagree on combat system. I like both equally.
Better polished on release, Conquistador definetly was. But it was also a smaller game, at least it feels like that to me.

So right now they are fighting with 3 game breaking bugs.

Personally I will pause for now, continue playing Fallout 4 and continue playing with 1.0.1.5 or 1.0.2 depending on what they are fixing with each version.
I won't pause anything. I'm near the game end I think so I see no point in stopping now. :)

Gamebreaking bugs do exist, but manual saving anywhere did the trick for me when I had to replay bugged areas and avoid bugged parts. Did I ever say I despise checkpoints based RPGs?

Yeah, you can use a shield, and I do, but this is really a rather bad workaround to a faulty system. Last thing I did was to fight against some wolves.
And the key to winning wasn't tactics. The key was to enter the combat from the right direction and "naturally" have good positions, so they don't get to you immediately.
An additional problem is, that there is hardly any way to run. So you might get cornered in the very first turn.

I agree with the three additional Characters. If they weren't there, it would have been a much more interesting decisionmaking.

Regarding the quest: As I mentioned on steam, I am not even that much against that you don't have a choice. But the player should be made aware of this. The way it's implemented is just bad. Also as stated there, the Jarl will still consider them as being killed.

But another example would be a guy you should capture and you get some story why to do that. When you find him he tells his story. While at first you can chose to bring him to the city, the only remaining options are to kill him or let him go. So you had basically no base for your decision and had to guess. And why wouldn't you be able to capture him? You cannot even fight him. If you chose not to let him go, the main character approaches him and rams a knife into his stomach three times. Meh…

Last thing I did was to fight against some wolves.
And the key to winning wasn't tactics. The key was to enter the combat from the right direction and "naturally" have good positions, so they don't get to you immediately.
An additional problem is, that there is hardly any way to run. So you might get cornered in the very first turn.
Wolves in Denmark? Easypeasy, two archers with quickshots (2 shots per turn) and +10% aim passive. While the rest of the party sacrifices themselves. Direction is irrelevant. ;)
Unless you're still playing on insane difficulty… :p

But another example would be a guy you should capture and you get some story why to do that. When you find him he tells his story. While at first you can chose to bring him to the city, the only remaining options are to kill him or let him go. So you had basically no base for your decision and had to guess. And why wouldn't you be able to capture him? You cannot even fight him. If you chose not to let him go, the main character approaches him and rams a knife into his stomach three times. Meh…
What guy? I missed that quest. Or not?
There is a guy accused by his wife of setting his house on fire. You can enter trapdoor to the basement of that house and will find their dead kids and something else won't spoil what. You can talk to the guy and after I heard what he says, I set him free as what I saw in the basement proves his version true. There is a story.

Ofc I am still playing on insane. ;)

Yeah, that's the guy I meant. But imho it felt quite "limiting" and especially unnecessary, that in the beginning they offer a capture option, then give some random text, and then limit it to let him go or kill him. Why even mention a capture option? I mean, it would have been fine if he started to run or fight.
But the way it was, I only had to option to basically murder him if I didn't want to let him go. But I didn't even see the connection between them and the cellar. Instead I found his story not very plausible to "flee" with a wagon full of goods.
I didn't find it very satisfactory, even though the reward was nice.

And just to name another quest, also from the city: The Quest with the pig sounded interesting at first. Until you basically spoke to everyone, still had no real valid information, just did a random choice, and they just accepted it. Your actions there couldn't have felt more pointless.

Actually I like the default insane bug and suggested them not to fix it. Expeditions2 is not a mainstream game and as such anything different is a positive thing, even the difficulty which is a bug but one that doesn't take away anything from the game.

I don't know why the capture option was mentioned, it might easily be a translation issue. I do roleplay a "greedy" character, yet not utterly evil one. In this case where children were involved I couldn't close my eyes on the "evidence" and then just grab the wagon contents for myself. Not sure what the reward would be in that case, maybe much better than from setting the guy free, but I took a choice.

The pig quest is perfect. It's not random. Both families are obviously a bunch of liars and troublemakers where the actual victim is that pig, the point in that case is you picking any of two sides. Sadly, you can't "save" the pig which would be fitting my greedy protagonist. ;)
Maybe such third option exists, but I couldn't find it. And maybe it's bugged. :evilgrin:

I for some reason had a smooth sailing.

First bug I encountered was black screen in Perth. Which I fixed by rolling back the hotifx.

2nd bug was looking for father's expedition. Could not get the final area to pop-up. Had to use console teleport command.

Also having troubles finding 7th stone to discover King Arthur's grave.

P.S. Prices on merchants in your settlement depend on prosperity. Final price on thralls, for example, is 750 per head. Started at 1500, if I remember right.

2nd bug was looking for father's expedition. Could not get the final area to pop-up. Had to use console teleport command.
Well seems that one will remain unsolved for me. I have no idea what is supposed to happen and where, but well. By the time I replay the game, it'll probably be fixed.

Also having troubles finding 7th stone to discover King Arthur's grave.
I've managed that one. :p

Well seems that one will remain unsolved for me. I have no idea what is supposed to happen and where, but well. By the time I replay the game, it'll probably be fixed.

I've managed that one. :p

1st clue is hides in Scarborough. 2nd one is body near burnt hut on one of the maps. That is supposed to give you the 3rd location. I posted console command on steam forum to teleport to it. "map BritainCoastalTown01" or something like that.

So, where is the last standing stone? 6 i found during the normal gameplay.

also there is inactive grave on Orkneys, which, I think, is the Arthur's grave. Unless that is the last tablet fragment, I cant find the standing stone on Orkneys.

No, Orkneys is not Britain so it's the wrong place to look.
1. Doncoirce Homestead
2. Yngilwood
3. Beach Village (Scarborough)
4. Swamp
5. Legacaestiri (Chester)
6. Dun Phris
7. Lindisfarne (island)

I tried E:C for a couple of hours, but it couldn't hold my attention. The setting really didn't do anything for me. Was going to pass on this one, but now you're making me reconsider. I'll definitely wait for patches though.

http://store.steampowered.com/news/externalpost/steam_community_announcements/1858142318045249874

New patch out.
I would recommend waiting for 1.0.2 though as they say some major bugs are still out there.

True, No Escape quest is still bugged for example (there is a console command workaround but I'm sick of using console to overcome bugs since Skyrim's final "completely patched" version).

Anyway, I ought to replay the game instantly with some different choices. The game is fun and I love micromanaging skills, party and combat, but the replay will wait till it's more polished.

Yup and all of thumb downs say "bugs".
I wonder where were they when Skyrim was released. Maybe weren't born yet.

The thing is, this developer is fast on bugfixes and is actively communicating with the audience on Steam. I didn't put thumb up nor down yet, too early for that and I don't want to write "bugs" too. It will probably end as thumb up for three reasons:
- the game allows saving outside of combat so power surge won't kill your progress
- trashmobs don't respawn
- UI is not adapted to mushrooms

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom