Arcanum - Retrospective Part 1

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Indigo Gaming looks back at Arcanum and its historical importance, calling it a broken masterpiece. This is part 1 of a 3 part segment.

In the first of a 3-part Troika Games retrospective, I will take a look at Leonard Boyarsky, Jason Anderson and Tim Cain's RPG classic: Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura. This series will cover all three games they developed, how they innovated, what didn't succeed and and attempt at the age-old question: "What happened to Troika Games?"

Episode one is an Arcanum review, where I cover the historical importance of the game, how it borrowed and innovated from its Fallout and Baldur's Gate roots, the planned but shelved sequel, and the many inspirational (and disappointing) elements of this beloved fantasy steampunk role-playing game.
More information.

IMO Arcanum is not a masterpiece.
It's an awsome game, was at least, but a masterpiece it couldn't be.

What I believe is that it's creators were aware of all the reasons it's not a masterpiece and they wanted to make a masterpiece with Arcanum2. Sadly, it never happened.
Why, we'll never learn the whole truth.

Here's hope instead of remaking old trash that should remain burried and forgotten, someone gives some love to Arcanum. If KS project ever happens on this, I'm an instabacker.

Same here joxer, and you never know if there will be an Arcanum 2 / remake... Certainly hope so. It happend to fallout and Outcast..

Can you imagine Arcanum 2 with proper combat and polish? I can. It would be as good, if not better, than D:OS 2.

Arcanum remaster in Larian engine...has to happen! Hell, I'd be more excited than for PoE II.
Terrific leveling system, amount of player builds, roleplaying options, main story/sidequests: poor world design, unbalanced and then some, some of weakest combat in an rpg( and that's saying something).
The game effortlessly managed to transport DnD fantasy into steampunk/more modern setting, without feeling out of place. Love how it played you for a fool with a chosen one thrope.

Can you imagine Arcanum 2 with proper combat and polish? I can. It would be as good, if not better, than D:OS 2.

Who do you think of the current RPG studios could do Arcanum 2 justice? I would say Larian but they are not likely to be interested. Obsidian would probably be the best bet considering the original creators are on board, if only IP rights weren't a factor. Then again maybe Obsidian needs to chase those rights harder if it truly matters to them.

Wouldn't work. I'd shill for mandatory deadly mistress of doom protagonist as evil as possible while you wouldn't accept a game without goody two shoes damsel in distress sidekick that for no reason falls in love with the protagonist.

Who do you think of the current RPG studios could do Arcanum 2 justice? I would say Larian but they are not likely to be interested. Obsidian would probably be the best bet considering the original creators are on board, if only IP rights weren't a factor. Then again maybe Obsidian needs to chase those rights harder if it truly matters to them.

I wouldn't mind someone like Beamdog, etc. doing a remaster of the original first. I think that would be a good way to gauge if there's enough interest in the IP to warrant developing a sequel.

I wouldn't mind someone like Beamdog, etc. doing a remaster of the original first. I think that would be a good way to gauge if there's enough interest in the IP to warrant developing a sequel.

Uh-hu, no. There is already Arcanum Multiverse edition ( Russian made with stamp of approval by Putin) that does this already.
Arcanum needs a remake with Cain on board.

If it's Russian, I probably could have done a better job myself. ;)

Eh? Not the most tech savvy, but never underestimate Russian resourcefulness...you guys have it easy, only surfing, worrying about getting a better tan all day long.
Having trouble even trying to build a simple border wall. :biggrin:

Arcanum is definitely one of my all-time favorites, flawed but with so much wonderful stuff that I always enjoy replaying it. Sad thing is it gets harder and harder to get it to work with each passing year :(. Which is why I haven't done a replay in 2017 so far.

Never played it before, although I'm very tempted because of the classic Fallout 1/2 isometric look & atmosphere.

Is the combat system really as bad as it is portrayed in the video?

Never played it before, although I'm very tempted because of the classic Fallout 1/2 isometric look & atmosphere.

Is the combat system really as bad as it is portrayed in the video?

I thought it was okay but it can get frustrating fast as the builds are not balanced and the combat feedback is just not there. I would recommend a magic build because that would be the least painful. If you can get past that there is a good game with lots of reactivity to discover. I'm more into combat myself which is why I've never finished it.

Arcanum is an example of a game I consider to be good, but I didn't like it. I can appreciate it's qualities, but it did nothing for me, wasn't my cup of tea. Why? Good question.

I don't remember how long I played it, but definitely long enough to get into it (and out of it).

pibbur who doubts a remake would make him want to (re)play it.

Last edited:
Say what you want about Arcanum but it was the steampunk cousin to Fallout.

Authentic style, great writing, great story and some of the best crafting ever. The pros absolutely outweighed the cons. Definitely one of the RPG greats.

Back
Top Bottom