Suggestions please

I really need to replay it as a totally evil party. Apparently the questing gets a LOT more interesting than the "kill everything" required by a good party.

I need to play it - period. I got it on GoG ages ago.

Wow, that whole "within the past 4 years" thing sure seems to have fallen away fast. As long as we're pushing boundaries…

I'll second Joxer's Valkyria Chronicles recommendation - which I seem to do a lot with this game. I wasn't a big fan of the story but the gameplay more than makes up for it. (It's also really pushing it to call it a JRPG. It's more of a squad strategy game, IMHO.)

The Last Remnant has sorta-turn-based gameplay. You give your orders turn by turn and the turns then plays out. While everybody is doing their animations, you can sometimes press a key to get extra damage. (Though sometimes you'll want to miss that. It's a learn-skills-by-using-them game so you might want to let an enemy live a bit longer to let another character use a skill that needs some practice.)

One that's sitting on my wish list is another JRPG called Legrand Legacy. Reviews are somewhat good. And it came out this year. ;)

Another game that's been sitting on my wish list for too long (but isn't an RPG at all) is Battlestar Galactica Deadlock. I wasn't a fan of the TV series but this looks pretty fun, has great reviews, and the developers are still working on the game.

The Shadowrun games fit nicely. I would suggest getting the second game in the series first.

Legrand Legacy? Wasn't it kickstarter project I didn't back due to lack of answers?
https://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34869

Then the alpha shown QTEfest:
https://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38744

Hmmm… Noticed a detailed user review on Steam where developer didn't lost nerves in comments, in fact he thanked for constructive criticism:
https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198131201833/recommended/556740/
I will skip quoting negatives, what impressed me is the last positive:
Developers listen to community's feedbacks
Players complained about auto-save? Developers implemented it a few days later.
Players wanted to be able to craft directly from storage items? Dev implemented it as well.
Now this is what we need more from this industry. This is a sign the developers love both their game and community. I am personally going to keep an eye out for this SEMISOFT team and support their future endeavors.
Remember me being sick of Bioware killing the community and moving to twitter egotrips? I'm definetly buying this game even if it's just a bit above average product. This kind of developer I'm gonna support.

Last edited:
Tyranny could also be worth checking out. I really like the magic system + original setting.

Shadowrun: Dragonfall, Age of Decadence, Blackguards, Legends of Eisenwald

Here are some I think haven't been mentioned yet:

Arcanum
Dungeon Rats
StarCrawlers (non-isometric)
UnderRail !!!!!
Balrum
Dungeons of Chaos
Dungeons of Hell (haven't played that one myself yet / rogue-like)
Earthlock: Festival of Magic
Expeditions: Viking !!!!!
Expeditions: Conquistador
Fall of Light
Serpent in the Staglands
Stellar Tactics (still EA)
Sword Coast Legends (out of sale, but suprisingly entertaining)
Willy-Nilly Knight
Anachronox (3D)
Realms of Arkania (new editions)
Avadon
Avernum
Drakensang !!!!
Eschalon
Geneforge
Antharion !!!
Bastard Bonds
Chroma Squad
Freedom Force
Hard West
Omerta
Voidspire: Tactics (and Alvora: Tactics)

Back
Top Bottom