Sweatin Over the Oldies @ GamingwithChildren

magerette

Hedgewitch
Mike Anderson (txa1265) has an article up at GamingwithChildren called Sweatin'Over the Oldies Redux that explores the challenge of playing old games on new machines, the rewards in store for those who do, and just how to go about it:
However you got here, let’s assume that you are here in 2008, trying to run a game from 1985 - or perhaps even 1995 - and are having difficulty. The first question you may ask is probably “should I even bother”. YES! While there are many games - like the original Castle Wolfenstein for the Apple ][ + that feel merely quaint when played now, there are many that are classics, and every bit as ‘worth playing’ as when they were released. Games like the Wizardry [series], Duke Nukem 3D, Dune II, Sam & Max, and so on are excellent games that offer a gameplay experience that transcends the years.
For all the details, follow the link above.
More information.

Very interesting. I didn't know VDMSound was a part of DosBox now.

When it comes to Dos games in windows I would just use dosbox with a front end. (which I do)

I just wish Dosbox were a little easier to set up. I use it a lot, but my son had to get it working for me. All that 'mounting' drives totally confuses me, never mind all the tweaks needed to get the speed correct!!

download d-fend or another frontend and it is much easier to setup and with d-fend and maybe others you can make icons for each game on your desktop to play them.

This reminds me of Grim Fandango that I was finally able to buy last year and which I couldn't run properly on my newer machines. Solution: I went to the cellar and re-activatd one of my old PCs. I installed some older Windows Version (98? ME? not even sure) and it works just perfectly now. Does anyone know if there is some way of taking an old windows game and running it on an intel Mac?

This reminds me of Grim Fandango that I was finally able to buy last year and which I couldn't run properly on my newer machines. Solution: I went to the cellar and re-activatd one of my old PCs. I installed some older Windows Version (98? ME? not even sure) and it works just perfectly now. Does anyone know if there is some way of taking an old windows game and running it on an intel Mac?

Did you *read* the article?!?! ;)

There is Crossover Games that I mention, which is basically Wine. But the compatibility is fairly mediocre. Fortunately there is a free trial so you can test games. I have tried stuff like ToEE, Wiz 8, BG, Unreal, and some others with mixed (but usually lousy) results.

Without DOSBox I would have never been able to play my yearly round of "The Dark Eye" trilogy in the last ten or so years ; - ) ... You know, the great old games from Attic (maybe better known as Realms of Arkania).

I just wish Dosbox were a little easier to set up. I use it a lot, but my son had to get it working for me. All that 'mounting' drives totally confuses me, never mind all the tweaks needed to get the speed correct!!

The concept of "mounting" comes from Unix-derivates. It's just common there.

Someone has written a new UI for handling DOSBOX:
D-Fend Reloaded. http://dfendreloaded.sourceforge.net/
It's said to be easier than most UIs.

The concept of "mounting" comes from Unix-derivates. It's just common there.

Someone has written a new UI for handling DOSBOX:
D-Fend Reloaded. http://dfendreloaded.sourceforge.net/
It's said to be easier than most UIs.

I love D-fend for WIndows and Dapplegray for MacOS X as my GUI front ends. I guess I show my geekiness that 'mount' doesn't even register as off for me.

Mount, is what you do to a horse, or what you climb!! :) Oh, thanks for the link to D-Fend Reloaded.

Back
Top Bottom