ATOM RPG - Interview with AtentGames

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Hardcoredroid interviewed the devs of ATOM RPG about its creation.

Kickstarting ATOM RPG was clearly a good move that helped you turn your ideas into reality. How did the process go for you guys?

It was a very humbling experience. Starting out with zero advert budget, it was a great surprise when people learned of our project and backed it so frugally. It was nerve racking to follow the campaign, guessing whether we'd get enough to finish development. But it was so very joyful to see it come to pass!

Do you plan on Kickstarting future projects, or has the success of ATOM RPG made you financially able to proceed without Kickstarter?

Even if we'd be lucky enough to have enough funds to start our next project without Kickstarter, which isn't very likely, we'd still go on Kickstarter with some small end goal just to see how people react to our idea, what they think about it, etc. We also love it when the player base interacts with our projects on the earliest possible stages, supplying ideas, critiques and themes. And Kickstarter is perfect for this.

The game was first released on Steam, then ported to mobile and now Switch. What difficulties in particular did you encounter when creating the Android version of the game?

Thankfully, Unity has a very wide array of tools to make the transfer process as easy as it can be. But we still had to spend a lot of time and resources to accomplish such tasks as making a new mobile-friendly UI\UX, a cloud saving system, and many other mobile-exclusive features.

android-AtomRPG-03.jpg

Was the decision to create ports to different platforms a logistical one, or was it based on player demand? Will ATOM RPG make its way onto Xbox and PlayStation in the future?

We constantly interact with our players, and the first request to port to mobile and Switch was sent to us when our game was still in Kickstarter. So, yeah, basically first and foremost the ports are a promise we made to players long ago and really wanted to keep. We're working on doing the Xbox and PlayStation ports at the moment (closer and closer to the finish line) for the same reason.

[...]
Thanks Farflame!

More information.

I hope this developer continues to release more games. As the ATOM RPG's are my most favorite played RPG games. I believe they have a new project coming soon?:thinking:
There is another big project planned for 2021, but it’s too early to share any details about it. As soon as design documents and first batches of concept art are ready, however, we will show and tell of everything we have conceived in this regard, and we really hope that you are going to like it!

It's strange we have nostalgia for events that were not fun at all to live, like WWII or the cold war. The Chernobyl event was a very uneasy period in Europe back then, yet I was delighted by the TV series when it was released in 2019.

Humans really have a problem with closure, I guess ;)
Or like agent Smith put it, "human beings define their reality through misery and suffering"

And it happened for me last evening! I was playing another game yet not feeling up to it, flailing around and looking for something that would scratch that itch, when my eye fell upon Atom RPG. Had it been long enough? Would a silly new patch come along and revoke my enjoyment??! Worries be damned, I installed and started off with one of the pre-rolled characters, got through the tutorial, and about ten minutes into the village when I stopped, deleted that character, and rolled up one of my own.

Ok, so in total I've really only played maybe two hours so far, yet this is a marvelous game. Only one compliment comes to mind, that if I knew the Russian language well, I would simply call this Van Buren, for I think this game may be the closest we'll ever get to what that may have looked like.

I wouldn't call this Van Buren as that game would be ten times better with a bigger budget. Anyway both the game & expansion are good but way to short & simplistic.

I'm crawling through some bunker now, finding some decent treasure and nasty critters along the way. I went with a character with very little melee skill, focusing more on pistols/rifles. Took me quite some time to even get a firearm, yet the payoff has been massive so far, yet for critters I find myself using a knife for the most part, simply to save my ammo.

I'm crawling through some bunker now, finding some decent treasure and nasty critters along the way. I went with a character with very little melee skill, focusing more on pistols/rifles. Took me quite some time to even get a firearm, yet the payoff has been massive so far, yet for critters I find myself using a knife for the most part, simply to save my ammo.
Save your game before getting out of the bunker! :)

Uhm yeah, that was a warm reception when I emerged, I'm glad I wasn't injured or anything at that time, because I sure was afterwards! I lived, but wow, that was an intense battle, I used all my pistol ammo and had to kite the last guy, finally finishing him off with my trusty Soviet blade. Side note: that knife is my best weapon to date, I swear it seems to critically hit half the time, lol!

Uhm yeah, that was a warm reception when I emerged, I'm glad I wasn't injured or anything at that time, because I sure was afterwards! I lived, but wow, that was an intense battle, I used all my pistol ammo and had to kite the last guy, finally finishing him off with my trusty Soviet blade. Side note: that knife is my best weapon to date, I swear it seems to critically hit half the time, lol!
Well done :D

It was a very bad surprise for me because my character was low level and really not built for combat. I tried a few things like placing mines inside then letting them strip me, or talking my way out, but no success. I finally took a lot of buffs to increase my stats enough for the combat. I won but IIRC I had to find a cure for the addiction those drugs gave me, it was fun. :) At least I didn't have to start from scratch once more.

Well done on you pulling it off as well, mate! I simply adore things like that, parts of the game that you will well remember long after you've finished, and for me personally, I know I'll look forward to that particular point again when I replay this, some years down the road.

Yesterday I wrapped up a bunch of quests, Fidel is starting to pull his weight as a pistolero, at first I thought I might abandon him yet he's really improved with a few more levels under the belt. Today I'm planning to see if I've any more city quests to do, and if not, I just might roam the wastelands as some of the best treasure I've seen to date has come off roamers and not from homes/bunkers.

Back
Top Bottom