What's popular right now? - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General Non-RPG » What's popular right now?

Default What's popular right now?

June 22nd, 2018, 15:48
So, lately I realized that my genre preferences are so specific that I've got no idea what most people are playing now. Apparently something called Fortnite is the most popular game in the world, and I've never even heard about it until yesterday

Please throw at me a few titles of what is the most mainstream and most popular at the moment. With comments on them, if you feel especially generous. Most likely I won't ever play these games, but I want to educate myself on current trends in gaming.

Elel

Devout Priestess of RPGs

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

June 22nd, 2018, 16:28
Let's see, two of my mates are going through Battletech this week, and have been telling me I need to get on board and play it. One other is playing Nino Kuni, and I'm currently playing Phantasy Star Four, after recently replaying the second and third games in the series.

I've never even heard of Fortnite. Well, until now.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)

June 22nd, 2018, 16:37
Player Unknown Battlegrounds seems to be pretty massive. Its a battle royale FPS thing I think, I've never played it but it was all the rage recently.

(Although, a bit like teenage slang, if I've heard of it then it's probably already old news! )

Pongo

SasqWatch
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
+1:

June 22nd, 2018, 18:21
Everyone and his mother will be making Battle Royale for the next two or three years, min.

Aside from that, MOBA's, Overwatch, etc.
--
Rush in and die, dogs…I was a man before I was a king.

BoboTheMighty

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)

June 22nd, 2018, 19:17
that might be true but i nor will my mother be playing Battle Royale today/tomorrow or for the next 3 years. Therefore I'm not sure that it is true even if it might be true.

Originally Posted by BoboTheMighty View Post
Everyone and his mother will be making Battle Royale for the next two or three years, min.

Aside from that, MOBA's, Overwatch, etc.

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)

June 23rd, 2018, 13:21
I haven't played any of them, but you can educate yourself by going to twitch.tv and check the front page, you'll probably see there:
DOTA 2: A F2P multiplayer arena (they're called MOBA for Multiplayer Online Battle Arena)
where basically you pick a character, each character having different abilities, and the game puts you in a team that plays against another team in different maps.
League of Legends: Another MOBA.
Fortnite: This is the newcomer that's taking the world currently. It's a Battle Royale game where a bunch of players go into a big map, there is a bit of resource gathering/building, and as time passes the map shrinks until last person standing wins.
Hearthstone: A F2P card collection game.
Overwatch: A team based multiplayer FPS.

wolfing

Dalek SasqWatch

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
+1:

June 23rd, 2018, 16:56
Popular and earning crapload of $ are first three @wolfing mentioned. Besides those three, enormous popularity and enormous amount of $ earners are also Maple Story and PUBG. Do I have to mention World of Warcraft? Yea, after all these years, no WoW killer appeared. CS and CoD are still alive, still popular and still and kicking.

After initial ovehype of the garbage, Hearthstone and Overwatch are clinically dead. Add Destiny 2 to the same pile of misery. There are no newcommers nor will ever be, old players are leaving.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
+1:

June 23rd, 2018, 17:50
Battle royale, I'm assuming that's some kind of action genre? Maybe with player versus player elements?

Carnifex

SasqWatch

June 23rd, 2018, 19:43
Originally Posted by Carnifex View Post
Battle royale, I'm assuming that's some kind of action genre? Maybe with player versus player elements?
Online multiplayer, where everyone kills each other until the last man standing.
--
"Where can the horizon lie, when a nation hides its organic minds in a cellar, dark and grim? They must be very dim." David Bowie, All the Madmen (1970)

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)

June 23rd, 2018, 20:19
Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
Online multiplayer, where everyone kills each other until the last man standing.
And at least recently with a decreasing combat area in order to limit the timeframe and keeping the density of players.
--
Doing >Let's Plays< and >Reviews< in German. Latest Review: Pathway
Mostly playing Indie titles, including Strategy, Tactics and Roleplaying-Games.
And here is a list of all games I ever played.

Kordanor

Wastelander

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)

June 23rd, 2018, 21:19
Man, I'd find Pong about ten times more attractive than that premise, and I kind of loathe Pong.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

June 24th, 2018, 15:50
Originally Posted by Elel View Post
So, lately I realized that my genre preferences are so specific that I've got no idea what most people are playing now. Apparently something called Fortnite is the most popular game in the world, and I've never even heard about it until yesterday

Please throw at me a few titles of what is the most mainstream and most popular at the moment. With comments on them, if you feel especially generous. Most likely I won't ever play these games, but I want to educate myself on current trends in gaming.
I had a very similar feeling with music until a few years ago.

All I wanted was Progressive Rock, and I realized that I'm the only one there. Because Prog had died out.
Then, 2 years ago, I found the British Prog Magazine in a shop in the main railway station …

Now I'm educating in that field again. And I do learn that I was *not* the only one left - and tht Prog had *not* died out …

Maybe you just need to find a similar thing ?
--
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
+1:

June 24th, 2018, 16:29
Please throw at me a few titles of what is the most mainstream and most popular at the moment.
You're asking us??

Best place to find out is here: https://store.steampowered.com/stats

PUBG is way ahead of everyone - and that's after dropping off a bit. The game went over very well in China and, well, China is huge.

GTA5 is pretty high up… ah, I see, they're having a big sale on that. I played GTA3 and didn't really like it so I haven't paid much attention. (Guess I'm more of a Saints Row guy.)
--
The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views….
-- Doctor Who in "Face of Evil"

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?

+1:

June 25th, 2018, 00:12
Awesome. Now I know what to watch on stream to see what people like. And those links are great, both to Steam and to Twitch. Never heard of PUBG. Or rather I had, but I always assumed that it's an acronym for something, haha, like "Public Game", i.e. a game on public servers… Oh well.

Elel

Devout Priestess of RPGs

June 25th, 2018, 00:47
Awesome. Now I know what to watch on stream to see what people like. And those links are great, both to Steam and to Twitch. Never heard of PUBG. Or rather I had, but I always assumed that it's an acronym for something, haha, like "Public Game", i.e. a game on public servers… Oh well.
When I first heard PUBG I thought it was some new slang word. Like lets go to the Pub G! I couldn't work out why people were using it in the context of gaming and assumed they were trying to be ironic.

Silver

Spaceman
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)

June 25th, 2018, 02:24
Battle Royales are the hot new thing.

Behind that I'd say survival servers remain popular, such as RUST, Conan, upcoming Fallout 76, etc.

MOBAs are getting a little long in the tooth by now, aren't they?

I have played none of the above, just what my impression is.

Mosaic

Watchdog

June 25th, 2018, 08:08
I'm still not used to all these terms (like Battle Royale) and abbreviations (PUBG)!!!
--
Favourite RPGs: Baldur's Gate II, NWN: The Aielund Saga, Pathfinder: Kingmaker, Icewind Dale I, Stardew Valley

purpleblob

Princess

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)

June 25th, 2018, 08:43
Originally Posted by purpleblob View Post
I'm still not used to all these terms (like Battle Royale) and abbreviations (PUBG)!!!
Or "lol"…hey man, that's still standing for Lands of Lore!
--
Doing >Let's Plays< and >Reviews< in German. Latest Review: Pathway
Mostly playing Indie titles, including Strategy, Tactics and Roleplaying-Games.
And here is a list of all games I ever played.

Kordanor

Wastelander

June 25th, 2018, 18:11
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
When I first heard PUBG I thought it was some new slang word. Like lets go to the Pub G! I couldn't work out why people were using it in the context of gaming and assumed they were trying to be ironic.
I had a similar problem with "the kingly battle".

And yes, survival games are an additional new fashion now.
--
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
+1:

June 25th, 2018, 19:27
Word usage these days is super strange. Tweet is a bird sound, a stream is a smaller version of a river, and trolls are seriously physically augmented specimens that tend to reside under bridges or in caves, with regenerative capabilities. These people that try to change the meanings though do amuse me.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

RPGWatch Forums » Games » General Non-RPG » What's popular right now?