Greedfall - Gameplay Overview Trailer - Page 2 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Greedfall - Gameplay Overview Trailer

Default Greedfall - Gameplay Overview Trailer

August 8th, 2019, 06:06
It is unusual for me to have so many games (Greedfall, Vampire Bloodlines 2, Realms Beyond, Solasta, and Black Geyser) to look forward to - trying to keep my hype level in check.

Likely this game will satisfy the barbie fun house + Bioware-ian RPG style itch for me. I'm loving the outfit, the ability to play as female protagonist, and the fact it is party based.

I don't mind the romance but I sure hope it's less show and more tell - not interested in too many cut scenes with two character dolls doing funny things.

Not sure if I will enjoy the faction side of things, I was never really into the politic thing. Also the combat look very action-y but as long as it's done well I wouldn't mind (currently enjoying Monster Hunter World combat mechanics).
--
Favourite RPGs: Baldur's Gate II, NWN: The Aielund Saga, Pathfinder: Kingmaker, Icewind Dale I, Stardew Valley
purpleblob is offline

purpleblob

purpleblob's Avatar
Princess

#21

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Sydney
Posts: 3,552
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)

Default 

August 8th, 2019, 06:12
Why are so many surprised about party based and romances? All of their previous games had these.
--
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
- George Bernard Shaw


Currently playing: -
Morrandir is offline

Morrandir

Morrandir's Avatar
SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor

#22

Join Date: May 2013
Location: Germany
Posts: 3,228
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)

Default 

August 8th, 2019, 06:26
Because none of their previous vidoes showed or mentioned it?

What previous games by Spiders were party-based? I don't consider having a single companion party-based.

As far as romances are concerned, that element is irrelevant to me as long as it's not forced on the player. I don't recall romance being in Mars: War Logs, so it must not have been very prominent which is how I prefer it.
JDR13 is online now

JDR13

JDR13's Avatar
SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

#23

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida, US
Posts: 26,628
Mentioned: 51 Post(s)

Default 

August 8th, 2019, 08:50
Yeah, I don't care that much about romances in games. And the cringe-worthy pixel sex that some games have What I do like is managing, to some extent, relationships so that when you balance everyone's desires you can form a stronger team. That said, I don't like having team members leave for some tiny action that they disapprove of - they can bitch about it, and maybe whatever team bonus they provided can bee removed, but don't break up my carefully crafted team, that I have spent 30 hours adventuring with!

The game looks good - I don't like the over the top combat though - leaping and cavorting about, with lots of VFX/power attacks etc. What I liked about the Gothics, Risen and Elex (the game looks a bit like Risen, as others have noted) was slower more measured combat (OK, sometime it was a bit silly, with enemies queuing up…but still, tempo was good)
booboo is offline

booboo

booboo's Avatar
SasqWatch

#24

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Cape Town, South Africa
Posts: 1,702
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)

Default 

August 8th, 2019, 09:29
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
What previous games by Spiders were party-based? I don't consider having a single companion party-based.
Their last one, Technomancer with a party size of 3.
But indeed I misremembered Mars: War Logs and Bound by Flame where in fact you could only have one companion at a time (with only quest-specific exceptions where you have 2).

That means the number of companions increased over time, so even less a surprise that we now have 3 of them at a time.

Also I think the previous trailers or gameplay footage already showed companions during combat.

Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
I don't recall romance being in Mars: War Logs, so it must not have been very prominent which is how I prefer it.
It also had romance.
--
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
- George Bernard Shaw


Currently playing: -
Morrandir is offline

Morrandir

Morrandir's Avatar
SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor

#25

Join Date: May 2013
Location: Germany
Posts: 3,228
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)

Default 

August 8th, 2019, 10:46
Just awesome.
srabuseen is offline

srabuseen

Watchdog

#26

Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 107
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Default 

August 8th, 2019, 12:45
Looks awesome. Hopefully they can deliver.
--
Exitus acta probat.
wiretripped is offline

wiretripped

wiretripped's Avatar
Machiavellian
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

#27

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Leuven, BE
Posts: 2,058
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Default 

August 8th, 2019, 12:52
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
I don't recall romance being in Mars: War Logs, so it must not have been very prominent which is how I prefer it.
There was one, but I wasn't interested and skipped it.
If the game will follow previous designs, no NPC will force themselves on you like in Bioware's games. Which is a pity if you ask me. I'd make it mandatory. Of course, since all party members can turn on you if unhappy and are apparently killable including your "love interest"… Imagine the drama.
I mean, how many years have to pass till we see shotgun wedding (FO2) in a game again? Videogames need humor. No humor = rubbish game.
--
Toka Koka
joxer is offline

joxer

joxer's Avatar
The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

#28

Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 20,944
Mentioned: 133 Post(s)

Default 

August 8th, 2019, 13:56
Definitely looks my kind of game. Uses manual saves too which is a big plus. Not open world though and have been burned by difficulty spikes in Spiders games before so might need to wait until the game has been out for a while before committing to a purchase
Holmarion is offline

Holmarion

Traveler

#29

Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Default 

August 8th, 2019, 13:59
Originally Posted by Morrandir View Post
Also I think the previous trailers or gameplay footage already showed companions during combat.
I don't recall any previous trailers showing companions, If they did, they didn't specifically mention that they were active companions.

I just hope the AI is good. I'm not sure how companions are going to work when using stealth. Hopefully there's an option to tell them to wait. I'll be disappointed if it's one of those things where the companions sneak with you and the enemy AI pretends not to see them when they're in plain sight.

Originally Posted by Morrandir View Post
It also had romance.
I know. Like I said, it wasn't very prominent. The fact that I couldn't even remember it is a good thing in my book.
JDR13 is online now

JDR13

JDR13's Avatar
SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

#30

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida, US
Posts: 26,628
Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

August 8th, 2019, 14:34
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
I don't recall any previous trailers showing companions, If they did, they didn't specifically mention that they were active companions.
I guess you're right. There was combat and I just assumed that the allies were companions (because the previos games had companion/s also).
--
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
- George Bernard Shaw


Currently playing: -
Morrandir is offline

Morrandir

Morrandir's Avatar
SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor

#31

Join Date: May 2013
Location: Germany
Posts: 3,228
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)

Default 

August 8th, 2019, 14:36
I picked up Technomancer last night. After reading that they did a lot of patches I felt the negative reviews might not be as accurate. So far I am enjoying it. Combat is fun for me and I like the story and characters. I don't think the VA is bad. I admit I also like doing the relationships and romances and finding out it had one also motivated me.

So if Greedfall is an improved fantasy version then I am in.
--
Character is centrality, the impossibility of being displaced or overset. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
wolfgrimdark is offline

wolfgrimdark

wolfgrimdark's Avatar
SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

#32

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: NH
Posts: 2,249
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)

Default 

August 8th, 2019, 14:45
I actually liked Technomancer quite a lot. It's a bit quirky and lacks polish, but it's very original in many ways, which means I can cut it some slack. It's the main reason why I'm quite pumped for Greedfall - I don't mind a few issues here and there if they can make up for it in other ways.
Maylander is offline

Maylander

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

#33

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Bergen
Posts: 7,271
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Maylander

Default 

August 8th, 2019, 14:47
Originally Posted by joxer View Post
If the game will follow previous designs, no NPC will force themselves on you like in Bioware's games. Which is a pity if you ask me. I'd make it mandatory.
While I pursue romances in almost every game where it's offered I wouldn't want it to be mandatory or forced.
What I'd wish for is some more realism in the way that feelings and relationships often are complicated. In most games you just can decide whom to romance and it will just work out as you desire.
The only two games I remember where not everything works as you want is BG2, where iirc Aerie leaves when you sleep with her too early, and your romantic partner being kidnapped, and Whitcher 3 where thing go bad if you try to get Triss and Yennerfer in bed together.

For example I'd like to have that when you're committed to a romantic partnership, another companion/npc falls in live for you as well and gets really jealous with serious consequences (especially if you hinted interest or even acted accordingly before). This could lead to the second companion just leaving the party or outright trying to kill you and your partner. Unrequited love is a strong motivation for extreme behaviour, especially with the "right" kind of person.
Imagine Jack from ME2 going really nuts with her biotic powers inside the Normandy. Could be a great side quest resulting in Shepard being forced to kill her.

Or on a lighter note if the protagonist sleeps around you're blocked from side-quests because the quest giver was your one-night-stand's husband/wife and found out.

So yes, more drama.
--
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
- George Bernard Shaw


Currently playing: -
Morrandir is offline

Morrandir

Morrandir's Avatar
SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor

#34

Join Date: May 2013
Location: Germany
Posts: 3,228
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)

Default 

August 8th, 2019, 19:03
So they say that you can approach Quest Solutions in different ways like sneaking stealth or even disguise let's see how much that is actually implemented cuz this is spiders, and Mars war logs and technomancer were big disappointments that have tons of grinding.
I actually was not able to finish Mars War logs because I had to keep backtracking and it was spam spawning enemies non-stop turned into a grind Fest.
I think spiders always had bigger Ambitions than they had enough employees to accomplish it.
they're trying to make Gothic, Elex, Deus Ex type games with only like a few people.
This seems like it might be the same because it looks even more ambitious and the question is has their Studio grown enough to be able to handle it?
It would be nice but we'll have to see
I never finished technomancer, did it have grindy spam mobfights as well?
anybody who played it was it much less grinding and backtracking can you say?
Last edited by Tactician; August 8th, 2019 at 20:18.
Tactician is offline

Tactician

Watcher

#35

Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Default 

August 8th, 2019, 19:27
I have to admit, it doesnt look bad. Till now I was avoiding their games. This one shows potential to change that.
Andrew23 is offline

Andrew23

Andrew23's Avatar
Sentinel

#36

Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 315
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

Default 

August 8th, 2019, 19:36
Originally Posted by Tactician View Post
I never finished technomancer but it did have grinds as well as anybody who played it was it much less grinding and backtracking can you say?
Hard to deduce what's the question here.
The game has a few spots you'll pass through often and it respawns trashmobs endlessly. Backtracking is never a problem, it's the damned respawns that ruin the game.
And when I say I'm sick of grinding everyone laughs at me.

It's not that I can't "win" the grind, my problem is I see it as a second job, annoying, boring and not fun a single bit. In case of Technomancer the reason I've accepted to be tortured was the story I was interested in (and the ending twist was worth it!).

I'm saying I finished the game. And it's one of good games in my book, would be 10x better if instarespawns weren't happening and I would be advertising it for centuries to everyone. Sadly, I can't.
Before you ask, no, back then there wasn't "no respawn" mod for it. Maybe one got made later.
--
Toka Koka
joxer is offline

joxer

joxer's Avatar
The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

#37

Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 20,944
Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

August 8th, 2019, 20:17
Originally Posted by joxer View Post
Hard to deduce what's the question here.
The game has a few spots you'll pass through often and it respawns trashmobs endlessly. Backtracking is never a problem, it's the damned respawns that ruin the game.
And when I say I'm sick of grinding everyone laughs at me.

It's not that I can't "win" the grind, my problem is I see it as a second job, annoying, boring and not fun a single bit. In case of Technomancer the reason I've accepted to be tortured was the story I was interested in (and the ending twist was worth it!).

I'm saying I finished the game. And it's one of good games in my book, would be 10x better if instarespawns weren't happening and I would be advertising it for centuries to everyone. Sadly, I can't.
Before you ask, no, back then there wasn't "no respawn" mod for it. Maybe one got made later.
Totally agree with your viewpoint about grinding and respawns and I only started technomancer, but now I've started just to watch play through videos on YouTube of it instead of actually playing it.
So can skip through boring parts and just look at the interesting parts, I don't actually want to play through the grinding that they do like in Mars War logs- was unbelievable I also found Dragon Age pointless spam mob fights Became Non-Stop incredibly tedious and it was the only way to deal with Quests and became the only way to deal with Quests, one spam mob after another.
It made me quit the game after finishing like three of the area's, I could not finish it, just so repetitive and boring, same type of fights -tedium!
Tactician is offline

Tactician

Watcher

#38

Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Default 

August 8th, 2019, 20:41
I didn't think the grinding in War Logs was that bad to be honest. Maybe I just didn't notice it because I was enjoying the setting so much. It was also a pretty short game by RPG standards.

Which Dragon Age are you referring to?
JDR13 is online now

JDR13

JDR13's Avatar
SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

#39

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida, US
Posts: 26,628
Mentioned: 51 Post(s)

Default 

August 8th, 2019, 21:58
I can basically say ditto to almost everything @JDR13 said in his posts. I was surprised with the companions and romances too. It doesn't make me stop wanting the game, but it does make me slightly more wary. Romances are hardly ever done well, imo. I'm also not a big fan of pirates or ships in general.

Still, enough good stuff to at least buy the game. I'm probably not a day one purchaser, unless I'm really bored, but I'll definitely pick it up after some patches.
--
c-computer, r-role, p-playing, g-game, nut-extreme fan
=crpgnut or just
'nut @crpgnut
crpgnut is offline

crpgnut

crpgnut's Avatar
Grumpy Role Player
Original Sin Donor

#40

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: St. Louis, Mo USA
Posts: 7,594
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Greedfall - Gameplay Overview Trailer
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 06:37.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by DragonByte Security (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright by RPGWatch