Tyranny - Dev Diary #2

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
The second development blog for Tyranny talks about, skills, attributes and progression, by Game Director Brian Heines.

One of the first decisions I made when I started designing systems for Tyranny was to make it a skill-based game. These are my favorite RPG systems to play, as they give players a lot of freedom and flexibility to make their own character. A lot of my favorite games – both pen and paper RPGs and computer games – are skill-based, and the first game I ever worked on was a skill-based RPG. Making this change felt a bit like coming home.

Skills in Tyranny are grouped into three broad categories: Weapons, Support, and Magic. Weapon skills determine how accurate your character is when wielding weapons of that type. Support skills determine how good you are at avoiding being hit in combat, as well as how nimble, sneaky, or knowledgeable your character is. Magic skills determine how precisely your character can draw various magical sigils and control the forces they evoke.

Skills increase as you use them, but there must be some challenge involved. You can’t fight characters who are far below your level to gain experience, or climb up and down the same wall over and over.
More information.

Hopefully they don't prune the skill set down to a Bonsai tree like they did in PoE. I'd like to have enough differentiation to be able to create very distinctive characters.

Hopefully they don't prune the skill set down to a Bonsai tree like they did in PoE. I'd like to have enough differentiation to be able to create very distinctive characters.

indeed, though they call Tyranny a "skill-based system" in contrast to PoE. So I hope we'll have a good number of useful skills (I especially hope for about 6 non-combat skills).

You can see their skills in this picture:

14779.png

They have less than POE: Subterfuge, Athletics and Lore.

You can see their skills in this picture:

14779.png

They have less than POE: Subterfuge, Athletics and Lore.

I have seen the screenshot… but I refused to believe that those are all the skills in the final product. After all, you're supposed to be a mediator of sorts… but those are almost exclusively combat skills. Of course it would fit with Sawyer's professed hate of conversation skills… I don't like the new Obsidian, I'm afraid. :(

edit: also note how she has only one Magic skill, "Control frost". There are probably more skills in the game.

I also don't believe that all skills are represented in that screenshot. It's possible that you choose skills when you create a character that you wish to use or it's a something you learn as you go.

I also don't believe that all skills are represented in that screenshot. It's possible that you choose skills when you create a character that you wish to use or it's a something you learn as you go.

I don't think you do. They said you will level up skills as you use them so no reason to not start with all non-combat ones

I don't think you do. They said you will level up skills as you use them so no reason to not start with all non-combat ones

We shall see, because it's really strange to have just one skill in Magic category if every skill is available to you from that start :D

I have seen the screenshot… but I refused to believe that those are all the skills in the final product. After all, you're supposed to be a mediator of sorts… but those are almost exclusively combat skills. Of course it would fit with Sawyer's professed hate of conversation skills… I don't like the new Obsidian, I'm afraid. :(

edit: also note how she has only one Magic skill, "Control frost". There are probably more skills in the game.

Seems like they are using any of the skills in conversation, instead of having specific skills just for that. From the blog:

A benefit of this is that it makes even optional combat encounters rewarding for the player. This change could have made conversations less rewarding, as players would need to fight in order to level up their characters. To resolve this, we added functionality to allow players to level up their skills in conversations. Player choices that are gated by skill requirements will add experience to those skills when they are used. Additionally, if you use a skill to intimidate an encounter into fleeing, we grant skill experience to the party equivalent to what you would gain if you fought them.

As for one magical skill, when they announced the game they talked about players making their own spells. Seems like there is no "school" to improve, you improve the individual spells instead.

Saying that, the screen is clearly a placeholder. No game release with thrown weapons, unarmed combat, dodge and parry skills these days.

That doesn't tell us much though, I can't imagine many conversations that could check my weapons skills without being silly. But Sawyerism pervades this aspect, because it makes the skill gain easier to balance. And we know how Sawyerism likes/ enforces silly things from PoE.

We shall see, because it's really strange to have just one skill in Magic category if every skill is available to you from that start :D
I was talking about non combat skills. I doubt all magic skills are going to available to everyone.

Do you think they'd use a different skill for every single spell? I hope not.

I was talking about non combat skills. I doubt all magic skills are going to available to everyone.

Honest question:
If non combat skills are available to everyone, then why shouldn't magic skills be available to everyone?

What is your reasoning behind this?

Do you think they'd use a different skill for every single spell? I hope not.

Well the one we seen said Control Frost so we can make an educated guess that magic skills are going to affect groups of spells.
Honest question:
If non combat skills are available to everyone, then why shouldn't magic skills be available to everyone?

What is your reasoning behind this?
Because normally in RPGs standard skills are usually widely available while magical ones are not. This is also based on PoE engine where non-combat skills are available to everyone while magic only to some.

Well the one we seen said Control Frost so we can make an educated guess that magic skills are going to affect groups of spells.

Because normally in RPGs standard skills are usually widely available while magical ones are not. This is also based on PoE engine where non-combat skills are available to everyone while magic only to some.

Yea I get that in most RPG non combat skills are considered "common" skills and are available to everyone, but I thought that they were trying something different here with Tyranny. Guess I read it/figured it as I wanted it to be :D

Yea I get that in most RPG non combat skills are considered "common" skills and are available to everyone, but I thought that they were trying something different here with Tyranny. Guess I read it/figured it as I wanted it to be :D
We will find it out for sure once more info comes out. I would also like more non combat skills.

in that case, why shouldn't all magic skills be available to everyone? That makes no sense.

It could well be that in place of speech skills, attributes will be checked in conversation, like in Pillars.
As far as the screen goes, it could also be that it is intended to be a companion, and perhaps companions are limited in what skills are available to them. For example, a companion probably won't need speech skills, since your character will do most of the talking.

I would expect subterfuge to be at least in part a conversational skill.

But whatevs, all of that is speculation. It's just that I had a lot of interest in this project but I have trouble trusting Obsidian post-PoE.

Back
Top Bottom