Retro gaming maybe RPGMaker?

crpgnut

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor
http://ellisstudios.org/index.html

They have several games, kinda look like Vogel's stuff, with much lesser writing. I got a virus warning on the patch, but it worked just fine. I'm beginning to think McAfee flags anything that is .exe as a virus. The lady dev should have packaged it in a .rar, but I get the feeling she isn't a programmer. She just uses something like RPGMaker and makes games with her son.

The controls are really basic, but the games are like $5, so I'm trying one of them. Didn't search for these here:

Humans and Monsters (newest)
Savage Bliss
Realm of Darkness
Dragon Clan

Can we please fast forward to 20+ years in the future where 4K games are called retro?

AV software bacame highly paranoic and I've experienced false alarms too, but better yelling "wolf" than not detecting malware.
About RPGmaker games, I've played so many of those I just can't do it any more. So I'll have to skip these.

I've never played an RPGMaker game, so I'm guessing. This is a lady that makes games with her son, so they're very simple. I'm getting crashes in the one I'm playing so they may be broken, I'm going to play a little longer before giving up though.

Aldorlea makes interesting RPGMaker games. I believe it's one guy making them but they are not too simple. Laxius Force, for example, has some complex secrets, exploration and some really cool features. It was partly inspired by Baldur's Gate, too.

Well, the lady making these is Dawn Kiefer of Ellis Studios. I can't recommend them because of the lack of a camp mechanic and way, way, way too many random battles. In Monsters and Humans, you cannot save on a dangerous map and it breaks the game. Maybe she'll patch it. No camping and no saving are both extreme no-nos in this day and age, RPGMaker or not. Too bad, I want to like these as they are simple and could be fun, but goodness the number of battles is insane. I think my warrior leveled from 2-7 on one map.

I hope she patches in save anywhere and/or some way of sleeping. Camping materials or some other supply that you use up each time you sleep. I've talked to her and she is looking into adding something. Perhaps a camp stone that you buy or something along those lines.

Last edited:
I just came across these games today. You can currently get Realm of Darkness off of itch.io for $2.49

Unfortunately I have a very low tolerance for random battles / trash encounters so even at that price I'm better off avoiding it.

Back
Top Bottom