I want a new monitor

Nyx

Goddess of the Night
So far while buying monitors I've been looking at user reviews and bought as good and cheap as I can find. No more. The ones I've bought have been good enough yet somewhat disappointing based on what user reviews have been saying. My main screen atm is a Philips 273ELH 27" with a BenQ GL2450H as my second monitor.

Problem I have is just that I cannot for the life of me get a decent color scheme on any of them. The Philips have great colors but so much backlight that cannot be turned off that every black and generally dark color gets an annoying tint. Also on sites like here if I stare too long while reading a post I get some strange lines stuck in my eyes for a while similar to starting at a light for too long. Can't possibly be good for my eyes.
The BenQ has great black colors but is poor on every other color.
I've worked for hours on hours to try and get them to look as good as possible but I just cannot find anything that makes me happy.

I'll try here, see if I can get any suggestions for what I can buy. I'm not rich so I can't pay an arm for a new monitor but I've had enough issues in my life with my eyes so I'll be damn sure to spend enough to not buy anything that can possibly harm my eyes. I obviously want good strong colors, including blacks. No forced backlight bullshit. I don't want reflections, no mirror screens. Just a solid, good, gaming monitor..why is this so hard to find? Any suggestions is very welcome.

So far while buying monitors I've been looking at user reviews and bought as good and cheap as I can find. No more. The ones I've bought have been good enough yet somewhat disappointing based on what user reviews have been saying. My main screen atm is a Philips 273ELH 27" with a BenQ GL2450H as my second monitor.

Problem I have is just that I cannot for the life of me get a decent color scheme on any of them. The Philips have great colors but so much backlight that cannot be turned off that every black and generally dark color gets an annoying tint. Also on sites like here if I stare too long while reading a post I get some strange lines stuck in my eyes for a while similar to starting at a light for too long. Can't possibly be good for my eyes.
The BenQ has great black colors but is poor on every other color.
I've worked for hours on hours to try and get them to look as good as possible but I just cannot find anything that makes me happy.

I'll try here, see if I can get any suggestions for what I can buy. I'm not rich so I can't pay an arm for a new monitor but I've had enough issues in my life with my eyes so I'll be damn sure to spend enough to not buy anything that can possibly harm my eyes. I obviously want good strong colors, including blacks. No forced backlight bullshit. I don't want reflections, no mirror screens. Just a solid, good, gaming monitor..why is this so hard to find? Any suggestions is very welcome.

That monitor is good but it's still a TN panel LCD. For better blacks, look for a VA panel LCD, and for color accuracy, you'll want an IPS.

Take a look at this year and last year models LGs if your looking at a good mix between price and quality.

I'm a fan of the LG monitors myself. I have horrible eyesight and these give me the best compromise on price and clarity of picture. Top end NEC's are the best for a work environment and are nice for gaming, but very expensive.

Are you open to the idea of secondhand monitors? I find this is good to way buy certain PC parts. My monitor is second hand and I paid £200 for it but at that time brand new would have cost £400. You don't always have to buy from dodgy sources, I find amazon warehouse to be good source and it comes with 12 month warranty etc.

I am now thinking of moving to 34 inch ultra wide ones but the brand news ones cost well over £500 and from what I have seen I can get good secondhand ones for £300.

Monitor is one of those parts that rarely breaks and doesn't have much moving parts inside so its very good candidate on the secondhand market.

How does ultra wide fare for general RPG gaming? I can see it being useful in FPS gaming, but I don't care one bit about that.

How does ultra wide fare for general RPG gaming? I can see it being useful in FPS gaming, but I don't care one bit about that.

IMHO, Ultrawide's are the ultimate gaming experience, regardless of the genre. But they are also significantly more expensive and will require more GPU horsepower to run. Especially if you go with the 34" 3440x1440. I currently I have my eye on this baby:

http://www.lg.com/hk_en/monitor/lg-29UC88

But also keep in mind, that coming from a 27" 1080p, a 29" ultrawide will be wider, but not as tall.

24inch - there is no better monitor than ASUS VG248QE.

Other sizes if 1080p is not enough for you, I think you'll find something here:
https://www.monitornerds.com/best-gaming-monitor-for-you-144hz-1440p-gsync-freesync-4k/

Whichever monitor you get, try not to pay the highest price posible. If you're in US, check at newegg, if in EU, check alzashop.

One more thing. Apparently Qnix 2710 is a superb monitor, but it's unbelievably cheap and you won't ever see it on tests or in online shops for whatever reason.
That one you'll probably have to search at ebay.

24inch - there is no better monitor than ASUS VG248QE.

Except it's still a TN panel. Excellent speed but probably not the color accuracy that's requested.

Actually having fantastic colors is what people say about it. ;)

I don't play FPS at all but looking into ultra wide mainly for Skyrim, Witcher 3, any open world RPGs. You simply get to see LOT more details and gaming world on the screen hence immersion.

Think of it like watching movie on cinema you get to see lot more since cinema uses 2.33:1 (ultra wide) versus standard HD at home which is 1.77:1.

Look at this video for comparison https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWBGbh3XiAg

Actually having fantastic colors is what people say about it. ;)

And Asus monitors in general have great colors. So i'm sure it looks great!.... for a TN panel... :p

But the nature of a TN panel in general is you're always going to have to look at it from 1 optimum location to get the best viewing experience, where as an IPS doesn't suffer the same fate, and is much better suited to those experiencing eye issues. And if deep blacks are the issues, it's a VA panel (or a plasma, if you can find such a thing).

Why? It seems just to be a slightly older version?

All the LG models ending in 8 are this years model, last years model end in 7 (someone correct me if i'm wrong). This year's models are supposed to have much better control over backlight bleed, it supports freesync, and it's cheaper for a better panel.

All the LG models ending in 8 are this years model, last years model end in 7 (someone correct me if i'm wrong). This year's models are supposed to have much better control over backlight bleed, it supports freesync, and it's cheaper for a better panel.

I don't have AMD, I use Nvidia..would freesync still apply?

Back
Top Bottom