Today is ...

… Netherlands vs Sweden, Fifa Women's World Cup 2019: Semi-final.

There is no parade nor fanzone this time, Lyon says it has not enough police to accompany the crowd the exceptionally long distance from center to stadium.

In all the other cities this was to be seen, to the delight :wideeyed: of the locals:

Some years ago they did the up and down and left and right bit at the Museumplein in Amsterdam (some club called Ajax, the men, won something important). The paintings in the Van Gogh Museum were dancing up and now as well…

Pity the English lost yesterday’s semi-final.

Edit
In case anyone likes to know more: even the New York Times wrote an article about the Orange fans.

Last edited:
I should think you dutch are getting quite excited at the prospect of winning another footballing world cup runner up trophy!

Haha, runner up, again. Yes, that might be the case. But everybody, apart from the opponent, loves ‘us’ and loves to see ‘us’ win. :)

And hey, even as runner up Dutch fans like to party and celebrate as if ‘we’ have won on returning home:

It is not just football that get many Dutch fans crazy… Do you recognize the song and the movement at the orange side?:

Speed skating, cycling, Olympics…
It is a disease. :)

Lol. What's this crab dance all about?

The ladies cup has been good. The US team do look strong - I think they've actually been serious about women's football for longer, and it shows.

I once read that Orange or Oranje indeed comes from the plant with the fruits of the same name.

In 2004, a few Orange-trees were planted to give a hint towards the Prussian connection to Oranje, and the newspaper wrote they were stolen shortly afterwards.

Lol. What's this crab dance all about?

Translation of the song (with the help of google) - brace yourself:

Sensation Waveland anthem
But just a little different!
Loosen up with the Snollebollekes!
Clap those hands!
Oh, it will be a mess again!
Pay attention now!

Welcome to the party tent
Let’s all go crazy
Its a shame of the attic
But the roof will go off
Chopping, pounding, jumping
The hut is going nuts
All from left to right
The tent will be wrecked
All from left to right
The tent, it will be wrecked
All from left to right

To the left!
To the right!
One more!
To the left!
To right!

O, such a party!
Come on, come on, come on, come on!

Another round?
Nice!

Keep filling the glasses
With even more alcohol
We can no longer be restrained
Pour the women, nicely full
Sit, hang, lie
That’s not the way we are going to do it
All from left to right
The tent will be rebuild
All from left to right
The tent will be renovated
All from left to right
The tent, it will be renovated
To the left!
O yes, to the right!
Geez, this is going good!
To the left!
And one more time to the right!

Yes!
I am completely cuckoo!
Party!
Sing!

O, that could be a little faster, or not?
Sing, jump!
Yes, there it goes!

Welcome to the party tent
Let’s all go crazy
Its a shame of the attic
But the roof will go off
Chopping, pounding, jumping
The hut is going nuts
All from left to right
The tent will be wrecked
All from left to right
The tent, it will be wrecked
All from left to right

Keep filling the glasses
With even more alcohol
We can no longer be restrained
Pour the women, nicely full
Sit, hang, lie
That’s not the way we are going to do it
All from left to right
The tent will be rebuild
All from left to right

Is there a defibrilator here, or not?
God, gee!

I should think you dutch are getting quite excited at the prospect of winning another footballing world cup runner up trophy!

O, I meant you heard the same song/tune/movement in the other two videos I mentioned earlier (in #581).

Loosen up with the Snollebollekes!
Clap those hands!
Oh, it will be a mess again!
Pay attention now!

Sounds good.

... the day Tour de France starts.

pibbur who almost is to some degree slightly excited (maybe).

… last day of the production of the Volkswagen Beetle
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/vw-bee...s-last-one-rolls-off-assembly-line-in-mexico/

1200px-VW_1302_%282013-09-15_2307_Spu%29.JPG

Aww... my girlfriend had one of those when I was a teenager. She loved that old thing.

When I was a kid, we had two of those (no, not at the same time, this was back in the 60's/70's when those who had cars usually had one).

Back then, it was a bit traumatic, because there was a lot of jokes about the beetle, and my aquaintances kindly told them to me repeatedly. The beetle was also quite cheap, so - in some peoples eyes - I belonged to a family who couldn't afford a real car. Which they also told me.

pibbur who now mostly have fond memories.

My family back in the day lived by Volkswagens and Fiats. Even when we lived on the farm in Pennsylvania, we had one of each. We all grew up learning how to work on both, being able to do most of the maintenance was a huge plus. Great memories, and I'm sad to see the Beetle come to an end.

Tuesday (July 9th) was cow appreciation day. I'll bet you had a burger, didn't you?

My parents had one beetle as well. I loved it. Those round corners ... No-one does that kind of thing anymore.

… the day Badwater 2019 starts. As always in Death Valley@us. I trust no watchers are among the 100 selected competitors.

pibbur who can't stand temperatures above 293.15, and claims that's the only reason for him not applying for the event.

... one of the very few days when I remember exactly where I was 50 years ago.

pibbur who was sick, lying on a sofa.

Back
Top Bottom