System Shock 2 - EE: Focus on Mods and Multiplayer

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
PC Gamer reports that the System Shock 2 devs focus on mods and multiplayer features right now:

System Shock 2 Enhanced Edition devs are focused on multiplayer and mods

Nightdive CEO Stephen Kick said he wants to deliver a 'more modern' multiplayer experience.

Nightdive Studios announced last week that it's working on an enhanced version of System Shock 2, which came as a shock to me because I thought it had been announced months ago. Apparently I confused it with one of the other System Shocks currently in the works--either the remake of the original, which Nightdive is also working on, or System Shock 3, being developed by Otherside Entertainment. There's a whole lot of Shocking going on.

But System Shock 2 Enhanced Edition is something else entirely, and I'm very excited that it's happening because the original is a spectacularly good game but also very dated: The character models were pretty ugly when it was new and 20 years under the bridge hasn't made it any prettier. Hopefully Nightdive will be able to give it an appropriate facelift, but studio CEO Stephen Kick told GamesRadar today that it's actually putting its focus on the game's multiplayer.

[...]
Thanks henriquejr!

More information.

Why on Earth MP? - You are alone on a spaceship...

Honestly I didn't expect much from this project, thought it'll be the old game remade into a bit friendly to eyes looks and that's it, nothing to criticize there as it might get some younger audiences into trying it.
Deep down however I hoped to be surprised with a game (re)designed so perfect that'd be an unquestionable GOTY so no remake is needed ever again, not even the one in works.

They blew it.

I tried to play the co-op with my wife many years ago. we stopped after just a few minutes with it working, and that was after wrestling with it for a while trying to get it to work. I agree with earlier thoughts that it's supposed to be a one-person claustrophobic RPG, and it excels at that.

This just lowers my anticipation. While I do like the idea of making mods more integral to the overall gaming experience, but have no interest in multi-player features.

The main reason I would buy this enhanced edition is this is a perfect classic type game to be brought up to date with modern graphics and interface and so on. If they are going to go cheapie on visuals and just do a minor upgrade on graphics and/or make the focus on new multi-player mode, then forget about it, I would pass on the game in that case.

So, don't dare disappoint me, Nightdive studios! :p :cool:

I played through the game in coop twice and it was great experience. One of the fest FPS coop games, even if it's just patched in.

I played through the game in coop twice and it was great experience. One of the fest FPS coop games, even if it's just patched in.

I really hope they will not lower the budget on the SP experience for some Co-op anyone can found in hundreds of game easily.
While that SP experience is still quite unique even 20 years later.

I don't see this as being much more than a quick cash-grab. If they're going to do something with SS2, I'd rather see a full remaster than just an EE.

Hopefully the money goes to good use. Perhaps to make the SS1 remake better.

Back
Top Bottom