The Last Remnant - Discontinued on Steam

Yep, PS4 release is good news. Sales stopping for Steam is bad news but hardly terrible. Just the possibility of a re-release cancels the closing of sales of a game that has been available since 2009.

If it comes to PC, which I'll guess it will, it's an insta-buy for me. I enjoyed the original on PC and a remaster could only make it better (if the port is good, which FFXV's was. Excellent, even.)

I'll save my $ and invest in modern save anywhere openworlds with no grind instead of that checkpointscum respawner.

Played this for about 10 minutes, up until reaching the chicken paradise city or something. Classic Japanese what-the-hell-is-going-on-here? introduction.
Seemed very FF inspired, with even more quirkiness, but this kind of cinematic weeboo based combat is way too time consuming for my taste.
Other than VIII, of course, that's something we all agree with. :)

Chicken paradise city? In the first 10 minutes!? Are you sure you've got the right game, Bobo?

Chicken paradise city? In the first 10 minutes!? Are you sure you've got the right game, Bobo?

W-ell, it looked like one. Seemed interesting though, and from what I've heard of the plot. Something something sister some ancient battle something other dimension or something. Is there any mods that speeds up combat? ( at least 10 times or so, or lets you instakill everything?).

Is there any mods that speeds up combat? ( at least 10 times or so, or lets you instakill everything?).
There's a turbo mode built right into the game. (Dang thing shows on the GUI at all times, in fact.) You've still got to enter in what you want everyone to do, though, and that's the bulk of the time. There's no difficulty setting, either, and this game ain't easy even if you skip the optional bosses. I think there is some sort of trainer mod out there, though, if you want to just crank up everyone's levels as you hire them.

I'm a bit dubious that the story could stand on its own, though. It isn't a bad story but the combat is the real star, IMHO. It would be a bit like buying a hot dog just to lick off all the ketchup.

this game ain't easy
But it is. All you need is to grind like crazy in every area you visit for a couple of hours and nothing will be a problem. Don't even think about no grind playthrough. It's not possible - the game was designed in a way you can't finish it without any grinding. Just like Dark Souls. The only difference is there are no people who'll preach that TLR is a game of skill where you don't have to grind.
I'm a bit dubious that the story could stand on its own, though. It isn't a bad story
It' starts with a plot hole (although it's a possibility of bad translation), isn't bad half of the game and then gets flushed down the toilet to make space for less talking and even more grinding. Ending is still pretty good.
To sum things up, the story can't stand of it's own as it's halfarsed job. For example don't hint me a love triangle half of the game and then pretend like it never existed.

EDIT:
This is failed title (it's not about stressfree but grindfree), still worth reading:
https://www.pcgamer.com/how-modders...from-games-to-create-stress-free-experiences/

Last edited:
Again, depends on your definition of grind. I didn't grind in the game at all, but my definition of grind if fighting battles repeatedly on purpose only to gain levels so you can finish the game. I took my missions, fought my battles, and back to town. I skipped a couple of OPTIONAL bosses that were too hard for me but unnecessary to finish the game. Battles were challenging and fun from start to finish.

I only grinded in one spot, when I had a feeling I was getting near the end and had just picked up three new people, and wanted to get their respective skills up to a point that they could contribute. I only spent maybe ninety minutes extra in that one area.

Again, depends on your definition of grind.
Definition is same for everyone.
The difference is a player irritated by it, a player who got brainwashed/trained to accept it on inferior hardware and is now accepting it as normal on modern hardware and a player addicted to braindumbing repetition who can't play a game if there is no grind.

The difference is a player irritated by it, a player who got brainwashed/trained to accept it on inferior hardware and is now accepting it as normal on modern hardware and a player addicted to braindumbing repetition who can't play a game if there is no grind.

Still, this game has no obligatory grind.

No game does. This one has mandatory grind if you want to finish it. No grind = no seeing it's ending.

That may be true, but I tend to waste more time revisiting old spots to re-explore or to check npc's again for additional quest information than I spent grinding in this game. It really wasn't a big deal, but if you reformed your team several times, I could see where the time might add up to something more annoying.

whaaa_george_clooney.gif

No game does. This one has mandatory grind if you want to finish it. No grind = no seeing it's ending.
Not so. Not even close, in fact. This is one of the few games to actively punish grinding!

You managed to find a way to grind anyway by exploiting the mining in the game to generate money, if I remember right. That's you're own fault.

No. As I said, if you don't grind, you can't finish it. Please let's not go to urban legend of no grinding in Dark Souls too.

No. As I said, if you don't grind, you can finish it. I didn't grind. I finished it. Unless by 'finishing' you mean 100% completion of the game with all the optional content and trophies/achievements, which I don't care about.

Back
Top Bottom