Bevontule - Farewell... for now!

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
The Bevontule Kickstarter was not successful, but the devs have promised to come back:

Farewell... for now!

Hi everyone! Let me start off by saying how incredibly grateful we are to have had such a warm response to our Kickstarter--as two indie developers who don't necessarily have the 'star power' associated with other campaigns, we've been absolutely humbled and amazed by the positive response and feedback we've received. Even though we didn't make it, we still went 60% of the way! No small feat! From the bottom of our hearts, thank you all very much--it's meant a lot to us.

While it definitely sucks to throw in the towel, and unless someone wants to make a $20k pledge (any takers??! :p), with only four hours left, this seems to be the end of the road--for now. But please know that we've fought every step of the way to make this Kickstarter a reality, and by extension, the idea of Bevontule, which is something we've both wanted to do for practically our entire lives. The unfortunate truth is that we simply underestimated what would be required to raise the necessary funds to take the game to completion.

Where there have been mistakes, there have also been amazing teaching moments and lessons learned. Even with all the preparation, second-guessing, analyzing and sleepless nights, you simply cannot know how it will pan out without taking the plunge. And having taken the plunge, we know way more about the process than we did starting out, which makes us all the better-equipped if we decide to re-launch.

There are still many paths forward for Bevontule--there's nothing stopping us from coming back to Kickstarter later in the year. We've received a lot of interest from publishers from this campaign--we've received a lot of public interest in general. We could always set up a Patreon page or similar. This particular campaign isn't seen by us as a failure, but simply another rung in the latter.

Rest assured, no matter what, that Bevontule will continue on. Simply put, we've invested far too much of our lives in this game to completely give up--sure, development might slow down somewhat, but regardless of what happens, we'll finish the game, one way or another. The interest is most certainly there, we just need to refine our presentation.

Once again, to all of our nearly 650 backers and supporters--thanks again for believing in our vision and trusting in us to execute on that vision! We'd love for you to continue following our progress as we very much value your feedback, input and suggestions! There are plenty of ways to stay up to date!

[...]
More information.

Dunno. It seemed very ambitious for what they were asking, and it might not be appealing to the risk adverse. But good luck to them.

If they'd tried this five-eight years ago in the hay-days of Kickstarter, I'm certain they would have achieved success. Too bad, I was and am a supporter and hope they find an avenue to game fruition at some point.

Should have started with 2D. Pitch movie was in SLO-MO??!! Why? Unity free version?
Also newbies and most idiot RPG developers think the same shitty 3D attack animations offered over and over again will somehow charm people. Like different tour guides offering an Amazing Trip around the same giant Pit of Excrement, and this vogue of everybody pitching the same conveyor belt made sewage content has been going on for two decades now.. Examples: Bevontule, horrible recent Star Trail remakes, Dungeon Rats OMG how bad, World of FecaDence, Expeditions Viking, Pillars of Shitternity I-II-III-IV, Warhammer TB junk, Divinity Original junk.. Is this taught in those famous Game Developer graphics/anim courses schools nowadays offer??

Respect to the few exceptions: Middle-Earth Shadow of Mordor and its quality kind.

Last edited:
The last sentence sold you out, you are obviously joking and we feel better for you: No one can be so butthurt for so little without needing surgery and some counseling help.

The last sentence sold him out? He started with "Should have started with 2D" and continued insulting a bunch of people in the second sentence. I think it's pretty clear from the start that the guy needs help.

Indeed. I preferred to believe than it was joking since he was praising Shadow of Mordor and being so insulting for the others.

@mercy; has been around for 5 years... you should know his particular brand of humor by now :)

And seriously how can you complain about Shadow of Mordor? Its one of the best RPGs ever made!

One of the devs here--we've learned a lot from this KS and will definitely try again at some point with a lower funding goal in mind and most likely a different title as it's been a pretty common point of criticism.

I think we need to refine our central 'message' as well, but I do think that Kickstarter is a very difficult prospect these days. Nevertheless, it's taught us a lot and has opened up a lot of different avenues for us.

To anyone who backed us, we really appreciate it! Both this site and RPGCodex brought in a considerable amount of pledges and the feedback/constructive criticism hasn't gone unnoticed! :)

Best of luck. Hope you get somewhere with it. Clearly no small amount of work has gone into it.

Great now Derek probably thinks we are serious about Shadow of Mordor being the best RPG ever.... :p

Best of luck with your next attempt. Don't give up, I think you have something there. Right now there is a bit of KS burnout due to poorly planned projects and 5 year timelines on 6month promises.

I'm hoping they can flesh out the non-combat and skill tree stuff and show more of that next time. I thought the biggest failing of the kickstarter was in not showing enough other stuff to do. Crafting, treasure finding, enchanting, spell making, alchemy/herbalism, secret doors/traps, etc.

Back
Top Bottom