Gothic First time playing Gothic

I envy you for all the awesome moments you're going to have in G1. All this talk about the Gothics made me start a G3 attempt once more. This is going to be my second try to finish it. It's just really hard to put up with all the bad in G3, after the absolute brilliant jewels that G1 and G2 have been. And whenever I talk with any of the characters from the previous Gothics, and they have different voice actors than before, I just die a little inside. All the attachment made with those characters is just thrown under the bus in this one. :(

I'll see if I can finish it.

I've already had some great moments, like...

Getting mauled by a lizard.

Being pounced on and eaten by a wolf.

Killing my first bloodfly.

Getting the gurus to talk to you in the Sect Camp was hilarious! "I HAVE RENOUNCED THE OLD GODS! I HAVE SEEN A VISION OF THE SLEEPER!" That had me dying.

Looting every hut in the Old Camp.

Stealing the recipe from Cor Kalom.

And on and on.

The game is great fun. I can see why people consider it a masterpiece.

Watch for details the NPC's do or say as well. Some of their comments and actions will crack you up but you can miss them. Enjoy, this series is still the standard to measure up to IMHO.

Question:

What do books like "Word of the Gods" Vol.1, 2, 3, etc., do?

And can you use magic scrolls more than once? I have a few different ones. One of them is an "investment spell" or something. There's a few different types. Any help without spoiling much?

Magic scrolls are one-time use items.

So what does the special stat that comes up on some of them mean? I don't have the game open right now but it's something like "Investment Points" - 10 or something. It only appears for one scroll that I have so far.

I've already had some great moments, like…

Getting mauled by a lizard.

Being pounced on and eaten by a wolf.

Killing my first bloodfly.

Getting the gurus to talk to you in the Sect Camp was hilarious! "I HAVE RENOUNCED THE OLD GODS! I HAVE SEEN A VISION OF THE SLEEPER!" That had me dying.

Looting every hut in the Old Camp.

Stealing the recipe from Cor Kalom.

And on and on.

The game is great fun. I can see why people consider it a masterpiece.

What do you think of the Old Mine, and the mine-crawlers. Some of the most spine-chilling creatures. Their constant hissing just creeps the hell out of me.

What do you think of the Old Mine, and the mine-crawlers. Some of the most spine-chilling creatures. Their constant hissing just creeps the hell out of me.

The Old Mine was pretty awesome. Very atmospheric and I enjoyed the descent. It was also very profitable :).

I stayed away from the mine-crawlers. After one ripped my face off in about one shot, I figured I would head somewhere else first and come back later :D.

Question:

How many rings can you equip at the same time? And the spell scroll I have for Telekinesis says "Investment Spell" - 10.

Iirc, you can equip two rings.

I think the reason Telekinesis says "investment" is because it requires additional mana to maintain the spell effect after the initial casting. It costs 10 mana to cast and then 1 mana per second while you use it. Length of spell = mana invested.

Last edited:
Iirc, you can equip two rings.

I think the reason Telekinesis says "investment" is because it requires additional mana to maintain the spell effect after the initial casting. It costs 10 mana to cast and then 1 mana per second while you use it. Length of spell = mana invested.

Got it, thanks.

Well, after exploring the entire colony (I think), it's time to join a camp. Here's my choice:

I'm going to join the Sect weirdos. I want to possibly learn alchemy as well as magic, and while the Water Mages also seemed like an interesting group to join, I think I like the Sect Camp better and want to explore more of this Sleeper business.

It's funny, when you meet the monks in the Old Camp, they seem like very important holy people. Then you go to the camp and find out how wacky the cult really is. It's a bit like a hippie retreat, which is pretty funny. So, I'm going to join them and see what happens.

That's the thing about Gothic. You can join another sect on another play through. The game play with be different between the sects.

Dude...this game just freaked me the heck out for about the past half hour.

Had to kill all the bloodflies in the swamp for the swampweed quest. I was doing it at night, no less, with no torch. Killing the buggers was tricky because they'd go too high and I couldn't hit them, or they'd get stuck in a tree or something. All the while those slimy, disgusting swampsharks are slithering around. You can hear them coming with that moan they make and the slithering in the water. And then at the end I had 3 of them following me, they got on land and start flopping around. Gross. I couldn't wait to be done with that quest, haha. Yikes.

I do love the sense of danger with that quest. You weren't safe the whole time.

Oh yeah, I actually tried killing them when I first bumped into them. Bad idea. Met a Shadow Beast yet? That'll be fun.

Oh yeah, I actually tried killing them when I first bumped into them. Bad idea. Met a Shadow Beast yet? That'll be fun.

Hah. I tried killing them as well, foolishly.

I think I met a shadowbeast but I'm not sure. I was heading into the forest and it looked like a darker colored wolf. It quickly killed me. :)

It's refreshing and great to hear that you decided to go all the way back to the beginning. :) Enjoy!
It really is a masterpiece which bears replaying just to see how the other faction stories play out and the various choices and consequences. Behold also, the dry wit of the Nameless Hero.

In celebration of this moment (and of the game generally) this calls for some
In Extremo. "Herr Mannelig". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6X6R2SWtVU

I believe this particular scene is only contained within the German release of the game (I could be wrong) but certainly, I only discovered the fact that the song even existed after coming to RPGWatch, which arguably does hold the series close to its collective heart (if it could be said to have one…)

It's refreshing and great to hear that you decided to go all the way back to the beginning. :) Enjoy!
It really is a masterpiece which bears replaying just to see how the other faction stories play out and the various choices and consequences. Behold also, the dry wit of the Nameless Hero.

In celebration of this moment (and of the game generally) this calls for some
In Extremo. "Herr Mannelig". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6X6R2SWtVU

I believe this particular scene is only contained within the German release of the game (I could be wrong) but certainly, I only discovered the fact that the song even existed after coming to RPGWatch, which arguably does hold the series close to its collective heart (if it could be said to have one…)

Cool song and scene. Funny thing, I only discovered Gothic by coming to RPGWatch. Back when I first joined, I was playing RPGs on consoles my whole life. I kept seeing the name Gothic come up in various threads, people talking about how great a game and series it was, etc. It piqued my interest then and years later I finally get to experience it. It's an awesome game thus far and Piranha Bytes are probably my new favorite RPG developers now.

The Nameless Hero is also awesome. I love the voice acting in the game. A lot of it is quite funny.

Question about magic:

I learned the first circle of magic, but what exactly does that mean? Does it mean I can cast all spells in Circle I as long as I find the runes for them? I don't have any runes and I can't seem to find any from the traders (I joined the Swamp camp). Does someone here sell runes now that I'm a Novice?

Edit - I found the runes. Had to talk to the leader of the camp first and then the magic trader had new items for me.

Last edited:
Hah. I tried killing them as well, foolishly.

I think I met a shadowbeast but I'm not sure. I was heading into the forest and it looked like a darker colored wolf. It quickly killed me. :)

Those are wargs, angry cousins of wolves....

Shadowbeasts are different... :p

There's a water Mage circling the new camps ore mound at the top and I think he sells runes for the first circle or two...

You buy a few level one runes in the old camp after entering the castle ...

I'm hoping that most of my runes come from the camp I joined, but I did see that different mages offer different runes, at least the Fire Mage in the castle offered a few different ones.

Man, getting your lock-picking skill to master level shouldn't be legal :D. I just looted the entire castle and came away with about a gazillion in ore and expensive items. Those guys really don't guard their treasures too well! :)

OH! Very funny thing. I actually just went to the Old Camp at the start of chapter 2 to sell some swampweed to Gomez, and that scene happened there. Very cool to see!

Back
Top Bottom