XCom2 opinions

ABA stands for "A Better Advent", and it is a mod which brings new aliens variants to the game as well as some new tactics user by them. It seems this mod ramps up the game's difficult.

Also: Pladio, have you finished the game already?

Without ABA2 yes. Not with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quite probably I'll be using ABA2 on my next XCOM 2 playthru. However, this playthru won't happen any time soon, since I finished XCOM 2 for the 2nd time few weeks ago, and I still have lotsa games sitting quietly on my libraries (Steam, Gog, Origin, etc etc…).
Or maybe I just finish Legend of Grimrock and start to play XCOM 2 again, who knows… :p

ABA 2, because it does contain a handful of complimentary mods (made by thes same author) that were to be installed alongside the first ABA. Meaning: you need only to install ABA 2 instead of ABA + mod 1 + mod 2 etc
You can check Steam workshop page for these mods.

I can't check it out now, but I don't think ABA 2 and LW2 are compatible each other. But no harm done, since you weren't using them together anyway….

Last edited:
Long War 2 version 1.3 is out. It's got some serious patch notes, too! They've made quite a few changes to several classes so I had to spend over an hour re-doing all my soldiers to make their builds make sense again.

So I grabbed this game the other day from the Humble Store, and am contemplating firing it up. I'm considering a few of the standalone mods from the LW2 team, but which one would you recommend (without diluting the vanilla experience too much)?
I have my eyes on the LW Toolbox mod, since it sounds like "Not Created Equally" and "Hidden Potential" might give more personality to my characters, but what about like the other ones like the Perk Pack? And how bug free and stable are these mods?

So I grabbed this game the other day from the Humble Store, and am contemplating firing it up. I'm considering a few of the standalone mods from the LW2 team, but which one would you recommend (without diluting the vanilla experience too much)?
I have my eyes on the LW Toolbox mod, since it sounds like "Not Created Equally" and "Hidden Potential" might give more personality to my characters, but what about like the other ones like the Perk Pack? And how bug free and stable are these mods?

Game runs fine with all of the standard lw2 mods for me. It's when adding others to it that things break and reason for that is that the team created them knowing that those would be used that way.

I personally think vanilla is fun enough on a first playthrough with nothing more than some gui mods.

Adding new classes to the game won't add too much enjoyment if you haven't played with the standard ones in my opinion.

But if you are keen to play with them I would go for the perk pack and the toolbox which you need to run the perk pack anyway.

I do not remember all the others but I would not recommend the officer one since it is not balanced for the standard game unless you play on higher difficulties ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree - vanilla with a few little mods (don't forget Minsc!) to liven things up. I wouldn't even do GUI mods until you've played a few days so you know what you want.

"Soldiers will be able to form bonds and pair off. " Wooo, I like that :)

I caved and got WotC. I like it a lot. After two failed starts, I am now doing ok on my Commander Ironman campaign.
I do have the avatar clock ticking away, so it is now time to do a facility mission, whether I like it or not.

This may become an issue if I can't contact more regions soon as the only two ways to reduce avatar progress at the moment for me is through the blacksite and this one facility.

All in all, I really enjoy the Chosen and faction mechanics. I think it adds a bit more variety to the game, and the faction soldiers are actually pretty fun to play.

At the moment, this is making the game more fun and I already had tons of fun from it.

I think there are some things they could have done better, but the additions are really good already.

I also enjoy the breakthroughs/inspired research models. I tend to have a lot more choices to make outside of battle, which is cool.

Anyone else playing ?

I caved and got WotC. I like it a lot. After two failed starts, I am now doing ok on my Commander Ironman campaign.
I do have the avatar clock ticking away, so it is now time to do a facility mission, whether I like it or not.

This may become an issue if I can't contact more regions soon as the only two ways to reduce avatar progress at the moment for me is through the blacksite and this one facility.

All in all, I really enjoy the Chosen and faction mechanics. I think it adds a bit more variety to the game, and the faction soldiers are actually pretty fun to play.

At the moment, this is making the game more fun and I already had tons of fun from it.

I think there are some things they could have done better, but the additions are really good already.

I also enjoy the breakthroughs/inspired research models. I tend to have a lot more choices to make outside of battle, which is cool.

Anyone else playing ?

Yeah, I'm playing it - but I'm not as impressed.

Essentially, I'm already starting to tire of it - and I don't know if I'll finish this playthrough.

It's combat fatigue - which is not uncommon for me.

I've taken down two of the Chosen so far. I'm playing on the next hardest difficulty - but with the longer Avatar project option - as I absolutely hate having to rush when I'm playing turn-based games.

As for the Chosen themselves, I think they're more annoying than interesting. The battle you have to go through to kill them is pretty ridiculous - and has required quite some save scumming on my part.

I enjoy the core gameplay a lot - but I feel like I'm constantly in a situation where I can't play with my favorite soldiers - and the game throws endless fights at you, including those awful 3 soldier rescue missions.

I completed the vanilla version upon release - and I have to say I don't think the expansion has changed the game enough for me to make it feel fresh.

In fact, I find myself having Deja Vu with this playthrough more often than not.

I still think the campaign layer is the weakest aspect of these games - and I very much miss the strategic aspect of designing my own bases from the original X-Com. I think they went in the wrong direction by making it into a streamlined boardgame with little mini-events - rather than a proper strategy game.

Also, every time I have a plan for doing something - I get interrupted by another fight I can't really say no to.

That would be ok if I enjoyed fighting constantly - which I don't. I mean, I enjoy the fights with a good squad when I'm fighting for something I want - or a goal I can look forward to completing.

But too many fights are really just about fighting for the sake of fighting - and they take too long for me to enjoy them, even if I do like the combat system.

Which is making me feel like I'm not really playing according to my own design - but rather just responding to what the game asks me to do.

I guess I'm just not THAT big a fan of the new X-Coms - though I did complete them both.

Anyone else playing ?

@Pladio;,

I am not playing it yet, but I will very soon. Are you playing with the default soldier classes? Do you know if the classes from Perk Pack were updated for this expansion (tough I don't think so)?

See ya!

@Pladio;,

I am not playing it yet, but I will very soon. Are you playing with the default soldier classes? Do you know if the classes from Perk Pack were updated for this expansion (tough I don't think so)?

See ya!

I have been using the standard classes. There are enough class options now when including the hero classes.

I do not know if the mod has been updated, but most mods which have say so in the description.

I recommend searching for WOTC in the search box and only using the ones that say they work on WOTC.

Played a *LOT* of Long War so it may be some time before I get this. But I will get it!

And so they appear again :)

The Best XCOM 2: War of the Chosen Mods

Not a big list, but the mods are starting to show up…

I'm using all the following on my playthrough (Commander/Ironman):

- Mod Config Menu
- Stop wasting my time - WOTC
- [WOTC] Hours instead of days
- Upcoming events [WOTC]
- [WOTC] Quick Soldier Info
- [WOTC] Detailed Soldier Lists
- [WOTC] Gotcha Again
- Evac all - WOTC
- [WOTC] Additional Icons
- Cost Based Ability Colors

From all of these I think Hours instead of days, Additional Icons, Gotcha, Detailed Soldier Lists and Cost Based Ability Colors are musts!

Back
Top Bottom