Bard's Tale IV - Wishlist Initiative

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
@WorthPlaying A wishlist initiative for The Bard's Tale IV looks set to reward purchasers for both GOG and Steam versions when certain goals are met.

Wishlist Initiative, an evolution in the relationship between an indie developer and its fanbase.

In a project that is the first of its kind, gamers who wishlist The Bard’s Tale IV: Barrows Deep on either the game’s Steam or GOG.com pages add to an overall counter that unlocks bonuses which reward all purchasers of the game now and in the future.

At 100k wishlisters, inXile will partner with Red Hook Studios to provide an in-game version of the iconic torch from Darkest Dungeon. According to Red Hook Studios Co-founder Tyler Sigman, “Darkest Dungeon has its roots in classics like The Bard’s Tale, so to be a small part of helping to bring the series back is a real treat for us as fellow game devs and especially as fans.”

At 300k wishlisters, the retail price will drop from $39.95/£29.99 to $34.95/£27.99.

[...]
Thanks Couchpotato!

More information.

Don't the kickstarters/backers add to the number of wishlisters?

Last edited:
Yeah, I guess it's cool they might drop the retail price by $5, but I still don't care. I'd rather give them the $5, if it's a good game.

I don't even understand what all this is even about, but hopefully giving to the kick starter was good enough.
Simple enough buyers put the game on their wishlist on Steam and GOG. After a certain amount of numbers everyone who buys it will get free bonus DLC.

If your a new buyer not kickstarter backer you can even get $5 off the price. This is not new as Versus Evil did a scavenger hunt for Pillars of Eterinity 2 before it launched.

*shrugs*

InXile seems to think it's important, and they put their money where their mouth is. Easy enough to do. Wishlisted on Steam and GOG. Blobbers aren't generally my thing, but I'm all in favor of variety. And this particular game intrigues me.

I added it to my wishlist, but I'm going to pass on release because of the skill system.

I added it to my Steam wishlist because it seems like it might be good, although there are quite a few on the Steam discussions for the game who have not at all good things to say about it. Regardless, I will wait until after release to see how well received it is.

Looks like they realized they targeted a sub genre very hard to sell. Myself I'll try it, but I don't even expect have combats as good than in M&M X. I hope it will be better on many other aspects, even if I can't say I found MMX bad, in fact had a lot of fun with it.

No. InXile means wishlist as in the wishlists on Steam and GOG. Wishlist the game even if you backed on Kickstarter because its not automatically counted.

Done. In both platforms. Because I'm really targeting the "500k wishlisters" tier.

If a ton of people wishlist it, I'm guessing that Steam's algorithms flags it as popular and puts it in other peoples' recommended games or something?

When you put the game on your wish list, it goes out to all your friends that you did so. Any friend looking at the game sees you as 'wanting' the game, too. It's not a real strong advertisement but, coming from friends, is probably a lot more effective than spending millions trying to target through traditional methods.

P.S. I put it on my wish list in late May. Bow before my insightful wish listing!!

No. InXile means wishlist as in the wishlists on Steam and GOG. Wishlist the game even if you backed on Kickstarter because its not automatically counted.

Why should I want you people that didn't risk backing it years ago to get it cheaper? :p

The whole premise seems to me to predicate on me caring about what other people are doing and playing. Let me be clear, I don't. I just find it invasive and something that I would never be comfortable with.

I suppose it has a more innocuous benefit for them too - simply to increase sales by reminding people to buy the game. Games without mega marketing budgets probably fear for the visibility of their game in the churning sea of drivel that is the Steam store.

Also the most simplest explanation - the more projected sales they have via wishlists, the less they have to worry about setting their prices high to turn back a profit.

Back
Top Bottom