Paradox Interactive - Future Games More Moddable

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Paradox have upgraded their engine to be more moddable in the future according to PC Gamer.

"Half of our team is going to be building tools, going forward.”

Starting with next year's Imperator: Rome—which impressed Tom in his hands-on this week—Paradox's grand strategy games are going to be much easier to mod thanks to an upgrade to the engine the developer uses, according to engine team lead John Wordsworth.

In an interview with Venture Beat, Wordsworth said that a major upgrade to the ten-year-old Clausewitz engine will provide far more tools to modders, allowing them to easier create custom UIs, complete overhaul mods or simply change the terrain of a map.

[...]
More information.

Sounds like a good thing as modding takes a lot of effort with the current engine.

Their games already are among the most moddable.
Good thing, anyway.
Sandbox games always benefit the most from mods.

Their games already are among the most moddable.
Good thing, anyway.
Sandbox games always benefit the most from mods.
Yes but the current engine now takes a lot text modding which is exhausting. This has always been a problem of modding Paradox games. One screw up in text ruins the mod.

I'm no modder, but from what I've seen from an outsider's perspective, the problem with the Clausewitz engine, as far as modding goes, is the checksum for the .exe file. The big updates to the game require an update to the mod, so you have to have an active mod author who actually bothers to do that every time, even years later, otherwise you lose your favorite mod. It seems to me this is more important with Paradox-developed games than others, because there are so many updates that go on for years and years.

HALF THE TEAM!? Oh wait, it's probably some variation of the tools the developers use themselves, so I expect the team that makes the tools for both is what he's talking about.

Back
Top Bottom