|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » Misophonia

Default Misophonia

July 9th, 2018, 12:53
Anyone here with experience?
Darth Tagnan is offline

Darth Tagnan

Darth Tagnan's Avatar
SasqWatch

#1

Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 1,815
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)

Default 

July 9th, 2018, 13:05
What with it, it's pretty much normal effect that somehow made it's way to list of diseases while IMO it's not.

I want to jump out of my skin after hearing certain pop mainstream "songs". I don't think it's me who needs treatment.
--
Toka Koka
joxer is online now

joxer

joxer's Avatar
The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

#2

Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 19,222
Mentioned: 93 Post(s)

Default 

July 9th, 2018, 21:28
Yep. Haven’t been tested yet by a doc though and only ran several online tests which were all pretty clear.

I actually bought headphones for loud environments to be able to completely shut me off as soon as someone is eating for example. Worst experience was when one colleague sitting 10 meters away was cracking nuts day after day and wouldn’t stop. Basically triggers a fight or flight response and it can really make me quite aggressive if just for 1-2 seconds each time after the noise. So the moment when I am considering to stand up and punch him it's already gone.
These days I am fine with just putting the headphones on as soon as someone starts eating. Though it depends on who is eating and if the person is chewing with an open mouth (worst case). If I wouldn’t have this option though, for example in a classroom where people are allowed to chew bubblegum then I wouldn’t know how I should survive that.

While it’s mostly chewing or other human generated noises it can also be machines. Years ago I was also constantly complaining about an air conditioner which was doing some rattling and squeaky noises…
Me keeping my PC as quite as possible and often sleeping with earplungs might also be related though it doesn't trigger a fight or flight response.
--
Doing >Let's Plays< and >Reviews< in German. Latest Review: Bard's Tale 4
Mostly playing Indie titles, including Strategy, Tactics and Roleplaying-Games.
And here is a list of all games I ever played.
Kordanor is offline

Kordanor

Kordanor's Avatar
Wastelander

#3

Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,265
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

Default 

July 10th, 2018, 08:12
Originally Posted by Kordanor View Post
Yep. Haven’t been tested yet by a doc though and only ran several online tests which were all pretty clear.

I actually bought headphones for loud environments to be able to completely shut me off as soon as someone is eating for example. Worst experience was when one colleague sitting 10 meters away was cracking nuts day after day and wouldn’t stop. Basically triggers a fight or flight response and it can really make me quite aggressive if just for 1-2 seconds each time after the noise. So the moment when I am considering to stand up and punch him it's already gone.
These days I am fine with just putting the headphones on as soon as someone starts eating. Though it depends on who is eating and if the person is chewing with an open mouth (worst case). If I wouldn’t have this option though, for example in a classroom where people are allowed to chew bubblegum then I wouldn’t know how I should survive that.

While it’s mostly chewing or other human generated noises it can also be machines. Years ago I was also constantly complaining about an air conditioner which was doing some rattling and squeaky noises…
Me keeping my PC as quite as possible and often sleeping with earplungs might also be related though it doesn't trigger a fight or flight response.
Yeah, that's definitely misophonia.

I have it with what I call "unnecessary noise" - which is not dissimilar from what you're talking about.

People who whistle, have little private drumming sessions with pencils - or neighbors that let their dogs bark for extended periods of time.

Stuff like that.

I have the same irrational and extreme physical response - which is incredibly uncomfortable and can ruin most of my day, unless I get it under control.

Another problem is that I'm the sort of person who will talk to people and get them to stop, which usually works - but not always.

I spend an inordinate amount of time deciding whether it's "fair" of me or not - because I don't enjoy being a pest about such things.

That kind of rumination is always super annoying for me - and makes no difference, because my reaction to something that doesn't stop is always the same - I go confront the source.

That's why I want to live out in the middle of nowhere

Anyway, I also use noise-cancelling headphones and earplugs.

Thanks for sharing.
Darth Tagnan is offline

Darth Tagnan

Darth Tagnan's Avatar
SasqWatch

#4

Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 1,815
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

July 10th, 2018, 09:01
Originally Posted by Darth Tagnan View Post
I have it with what I call "unnecessary noise" - which is not dissimilar from what you're talking about.
Yeah, that describes it well for most cases. I guess you could also call it "inconsiderate" noise. Noise people make where you think like "if everyone would do it…"
--
Doing >Let's Plays< and >Reviews< in German. Latest Review: Bard's Tale 4
Mostly playing Indie titles, including Strategy, Tactics and Roleplaying-Games.
And here is a list of all games I ever played.
Kordanor is offline

Kordanor

Kordanor's Avatar
Wastelander

#5

Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,265
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

Default 

July 10th, 2018, 09:06
Originally Posted by Kordanor View Post
Yeah, that describes it well for most cases. I guess you could also call it "inconsiderate" noise. Noise people make where you think like "if everyone would do it…"
Yeah, that's what it feels like - but it's my experience that most people aren't aware of what it's like to suffer from this condition.

In a way, it's inconsiderate of US to expect others to understand.

I mean, we're in a tiny minority when it comes to how it affects us.

That said, I find it a very common issue for people - only to a much less severe degree.

Thankfully for me, I've been free of triggers for a long time. But I'm looking after my parents house these days - and I had a trigger moment with a dog that kept barking the other day.

I get this feeling of people trying to control me - or having power over me. Which makes me feel very uncomfortable - as my nature is one of extreme independence.

The noise in itself is usually not that bad, it's my reaction to it that's way out of proportion.

But I've had other issues in the past, and I've had great success at getting them under control to the point where they're pretty much gone.

I want this thing under control as well - even if it's not a big problem for me, most days
Darth Tagnan is offline

Darth Tagnan

Darth Tagnan's Avatar
SasqWatch

#6

Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 1,815
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)

Default 

July 10th, 2018, 14:38
First time I heard of it and as I am most of the time quite capable of blocking other sounds, I probably am one of those persons who is unaware of other people having issues with it, unless I am told.
--
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. Douglas Adams
There are no facts, only interpretations. Nietzsche
Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go. Oscar Wilde
Myrthos is online now

Myrthos

Myrthos's Avatar
Cave Canem
Administrator
RPGWatch Team

#7

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 8,649
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » Misophonia
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 14:05.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright by RPGWatch