|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » The New World - Design Topic: Dialogue Checks

Default The New World - Design Topic: Dialogue Checks

June 25th, 2018, 19:53
In the latest design topic for The New World, more information is provided on how dialogue checks will be handled in the game and enabling you to vote for this new system or retaining the system that was in place for AoD.

When designing AoD dialogue system, our goal was simple: your characterís skills must determine conversations' outcomes (i.e. success or failure). The dialogue checks were equally simple: if your skill is high enough, you pass the check, otherwise you fail. It created 3 problems:

1. You never had to consider what the NPC would respond best to. Any tagged line would result in instant success if you have the skill, meaning that your dialogue option was not an attempt (as it should be) but guaranteed success, which made considering the options redundant.

2. Since all dialogues had multiple checks to simulate realistic conversations, it didnít matter how many checks you passed and how well you were doing until that last check that resulted in failure (i.e. early success didnít contribute to anything and thus didnít matter).

3. The rigid nature of the system forced us to lower the checks to make the hybrids (i.e. jacks of all trades with lower skills) viable, which in turn made playing talkers an easy mode.

We did have a couple of interesting dialogues. When you talk to Lorenza, she asks you some questions to understand your motivations better (before she makes her decision), and your answers modify the checks later on, making them easier or harder.

In The New World weíd like to engage the player, make him/her consider the options instead of clicking on the line with the tag matching your highest skill, yet still keep the system skill-driven. Itís not an easy task as this problem doesnít have a perfect solution, so Iím asking you to consider both systems (see below) and vote for the one where the pros outweigh the cons.

Thanks Pladio.

More information.

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)

June 25th, 2018, 19:53
This game looks better and better with every new info

CRD

Watcher

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

June 25th, 2018, 20:04
Yes, I would like to see more "fuzzy" outcomes where the result isn't just a success or failure, but more of a sliding scale of success that may require further negotiation. I know that means more work for the developers, but it also gives the NPC a persona rather than making them automatons that produce a robotic response. Not every NPC requires that of course; just the notable ones.

rjshae

Periapt vs Paronomasia
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
+1:

June 27th, 2018, 12:55
I think I like that these ideas are being discussed. I think it rarely happens in games where you have sliding scales in successes.

Pladio

Guardian of Nonsense
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Pladio
+1:
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » The New World - Design Topic: Dialogue Checks