Underworld Ascendant - Coming to Kickstarter on February 4th

killias2

Disastrous Fate
Underworld Ascendant, Paul Neurath's return to the style found in the Ultima Underworld series, is coming to Kickstarter on February 4th. In addition, the game once known as Underworld Ascension has had a slight name change. The full statement can be found here, as well as some concept art, but we have a few choice excerpts below:

...Over the years I’ve tried without success to raise the Underworld series back up. Just now have the stars aligned so this can happen.

I started OtherSide Entertainment an indie studio to rekindle this classic. Joining me is an incredible team of developers, who will be introducing themselves over the coming weeks. Some worked with me on the original Underworlds, along with Looking Glass favorites like System Shock and Thief. Others contributed to more recent classics including Deus Ex and BioShock Infinite. We have deep understanding of the genre, and share a passion for bringing Underworld back.

The newest incarnation of the franchise, Underworld Ascendant, will retain the distinctive fantasy RPG gameplay of the originals. We already have an early prototype running on the PC. At that same time we will be pushing forward with new innovations --- I can’t wait to tell you more about what we have planned!...
More information.

I'm not sure what a game of this type has got to offer that hasn't already been done many times since the original was released. Nostalgia fix, I guess.

Honestly, I can't really think of that many modern takes on the UU style game. Arx Fatalis? Maybe something like.. the King's Field series?

Honestly, I can't really think of that many modern takes on the UU style game. Arx Fatalis? Maybe something like.. the King's Field series?

The Question is actually: What IS the UU style game?
What did UU offer and what didn't it?
Personally I didn't play it for a long time back then, so I am not very good in pointing these things out, but I guess it offered:

-A great new engine, which was completely new on the market, which doesn't play any role for a new game
-First person, free movement in a fantasy setting. Again there are tons of games about that nowadays.
-a dungeon game with some, but not big openness
-an extremely simplistic action combat
-a basic character system

So I guess the closest to that today would be something like Skyrim / Risen 3/Gothic 3, if you just had one big dungeon and overall more limited options?

But limitation isn't really what you could score with. So what big advantages would Underworld bring? The only thing I can think of at the moment is a good story and unique atmosphere. But I don't really see one "awesome" feature of UU1 or UU2 which would carry a game. That doesn't mean that it has to be a bad game.
But I think that the "more of the same in better graphics" formular like it's basically applied to Wasteland 1->2 or Might and Magic 3/4/5->X will hardly work here.

Edit: Maybe another game to compare it with is Deus Ex: Human revolution (which I personally didn't play as well, but I played DE1): Fake open world, action with some story. But just watching at the Trailer of Deus Ex: Human revolution makes me think "This would never work without a decent budget".

The good thing for developers about all these indie games we see for now is the mixture of:
Graphics hardly matter + turn based gameplay.

But in a first person action game, you need to spend a lot more additional money to make the game to feel even decent.

Last edited:
This is one KS project I will back almost no matter what.

Agreed. Unless some crazy bit of circumstance presents itself, this an insta-back much like D:OS.

Count me in for a boxed CE. :thumbsup:
Ultima Underworld 1&2 were fantastic!
I really hope they can recapture the magic that made the originals so memorable.
For those that missed them, think of Grimrock/Dungeon Master with a true 3D engine.
While I'm all for updating it to modern standards, I hope some things do NOT change…
  • The intuitive mouse controlled movement and combat… such as holding the mouse button to "power up" swings.
  • The in-game parchment style map that allowed for user notes.
  • Rune based magic system.
  • Physics for thrown objects/darts/arrows, inclined floors, and such.
  • Loot bags and other containers which helps to organize the inventory.
  • Swimming through underground rivers and lakes.
  • Levitation, which was useful for lava pools, pits, or to reach hidden areas high above the ground.

Last edited:
Flying, levitation, tunneling, climbing, and swimming would all be elements I'd like to see more of in CRPGs.

I like your post, rj, but I don't know about tunneling in an RPG. I think people who want to tunnel can happily play Minecraft. :)

Flying, levitating, climbing, swimming, diving...all elements I love to see in RPGs. :)

It's a game that could be worthy of a RPGWatch fundraiser, what do you guys think about it?

I have no money to pledge, :( but I'd love to agree to preview the game when it gets close to release. :)

While I'm all for updating it to modern standards, I hope some things do NOT change…
  • The intuitive mouse controlled movement and combat… such as holding the mouse button to "power up" swings.
  • The in-game parchment style map that allowed for user notes.
  • Rune based magic system.
  • Physics for thrown objects/darts/arrows, inclined floors, and such.
  • Loot bags and other containers which helps to organize the inventory.
  • Swimming through underground rivers and lakes.
  • Levitation, which was useful for lava pools, pits, or to reach hidden areas high above the ground.
Reading this brings back a lot of memories. :)
I'm sceptical though if I'll like a game like UU nowadays...

I'm backing this.

Remember the disappointments of the past. Do not give him any money until you get extremely solid proof that he isn't going to dumb down the game.

Remember the disappointments of the past. Do not give him any money until you get extremely solid proof that he isn't going to dumb down the game.

What does that even mean, like honestly...this site sometimes.

Do not give him any money until you get extremely solid proof that he isn't going to dumb down the game.

Well, we certainly don't want it dumbed down… But, I'd back it anyway just on the chance that he will succeed at producing a worthy successor to UU.
It's better to try and fail than not try at all… which won't happen without our support.

Back
Top Bottom