Legend of Grimrock 2 - Review Roundup #3

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
I have a few more reviews to share for Legend of Grimrock 2 that I found today.

Leviathyn - 9/10

As a fan of the original game the sequel was on my radar but Grimrock 2 quickly became one of my favorite games of the year. If you’ve ever been a fan of classic first-person puzzle-RPGs you owe it to yourself to play this game. For fans of of the first game, Legend of Grimrock 2 is everything you could’ve wanted.
Softpedia - 5/5

Legend of Grimrock 2 is a great improvement over the original, a fantastic journey with a distinct old-school vibe, with a lot of heart and with a glossy modern veneer. Even if you haven’t played the first one, it’s a proper standalone, self-contained experience.
IGN - 8.6/10

The Legend of Grimrock 2 marks a significant improvement over its predecessor, which was already a formidable RPG in its own right. Its stylings and conventions might spring from a simpler time, but its presentation and the panache with which Almost Human delivers it as allows it to stand toe-to-toe with some of its big-budget contemporary cousins.
More information.

I played for a couple of hours this weekend:
If you like LoG 1 you'll love LoG 2.

(only my gfx-card is cooling like hell :( )

The game starts very well indeed, but after six or seven hours of playing the puzzles get a little annoying. However I never liked too many puzzles or real time combat in these kind of games, but despite all of this LoG 2 is definitely worth a buy.

I love the puzzles actually, the combat as well. It's a nice break-up from my turn-based heavy diet. :)

One minor quibble I do have however is with the lack of (at least so far…) joinable NPCs or indeed NPCs who have interactions. These would certainly add narrative flavor and depth should they be possible to implement. Eye of the Beholder's unique treatment of NPCs was very interesting in this regard. (Anyone remember that pesky thief who steals from your party in EotB2 for example?)

The Leviathyn review mentions having a preference for casting the spells using the newly implemented one click method. I've found the default method surprisingly pleasant to use with the additional quasi-Arx-ish ability to "click and glide" over your rune selections. The alchemy system is also very user-friendly and quick to use. Naturally, such pleasantry is subject to change and further stress yet!

Last edited:
If I had to complain about something, it would be how dark the dungeons are. They should have included a way to relight torches. I'm assuming there's a light spell somewhere in the game, and I can't wait to find it. :-/

Aye there is… plenty of torches too though!

I'm currently trying to muster up some excitement to delve back in; I got a bit discouraged after getting relentlessly beaten into a bloody pulp by a boss a couple nights back.

stupid artillery cannon-wielding ratlings...

If I had to complain about something, it would be how dark the dungeons are. They should have included a way to relight torches. I'm assuming there's a light spell somewhere in the game, and I can't wait to find it. :-/

minor
Light and Dark spells are same like in previous game.

Back
Top Bottom