Firaxis - Working on a Turn-Based Marvel Game - Page 2 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Firaxis - Working on a Turn-Based Marvel Game

Default Firaxis - Working on a Turn-Based Marvel Game

June 6th, 2021, 00:01
Originally Posted by Voqar View Post
The idea of Firaxis doing an XCOM superhero variant actually sounds really good to me. I think it's an ideal genre for it. Mix in some initiative like in Chimera or Solasta and it's even better.

I love XCOM and especially XCOM2, but there isn't a whole lot more they can do with that other than rehash it, which is fine - but can wait a few more years.

The superhero things seems like a great way to do more tactical TBS without running XCOM into the ground.
Yeah, my thinking exactly. I don't know how much narrative they would do, and if they do a lot and someone hates superhero type stories, I can see how that might turn them off. But X-Com games are pretty barebones narratively, and to me they would be just like soldiers except with a whole host of different kinds of abilities. Like you, I think it is THE ideal genre for a superhero game.

JFarrell71

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)

June 6th, 2021, 00:04
There is also Ghost Control Inc, which as the name suggests is a XCom like game where you are playing a ghost buster agency. Also a very nice spin to the genre.
Unfortunately not a great game. Still, I liked the idea.
--
Doing Let's Plays Reviews in English now. Latest Video: Cyberpunk 2077
Mostly playing Indie titles, including Strategy, Tactics and Roleplaying-Games.
And here is a list of all games I ever played.

Kordanor

Wastelander

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)

June 6th, 2021, 02:35
Anyone else remember Guardians : Agents of Justice? It was an "XCom with superheroes" game from Microprose, the company whose core members created Firaxis. I remember being very disappointed when it was cancelled, but now here it is a short quarter of a century later.

Zborno

Watcher

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

June 6th, 2021, 03:27
While not turn-based, I'll always have a soft spot for the Freedom Force games. Any time I have the urge to play a superhero game, that's where I go to smite some villains! I'd love to see a nice turn-based superhero game, yet I think anything done today would be replete with agendas that would seriously irk me.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)

June 6th, 2021, 05:12
@Kordanor

If I forgot to ever say it thanks for bringing my attention to UFO2: Extraterrestrials in another forum thread. I played the first game when I imported it years ago.

If I mixed you up with another poster you have apologies.
--
"Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something." & "What is the secret to eternal happiness? To not argue with fools."

Couchpotato

Armchair Contrarian

Mentioned: 126 Post(s)
+1:

June 6th, 2021, 15:50
IF they manage "another XCOM:EU" gameplay-wise. We need a good superhero game!! There aren't any..
--
SSI Gold Box-style game, we are working on.

mercy

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)

June 6th, 2021, 17:33
I'm kind of surprised that there aren't more superhero games, frankly. In my mind what would work these days is completely avoiding DC/Marvel characters, make up your own universe of villains/heroes, and go from there, slowly and steadily, get the word out, let the hype build over time. The initial groundwork would be a little more involved, yet they'd have almost complete control over the narrative and wouldn't have to shell out funds for royalties.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)

June 7th, 2021, 18:16
Troubleshooter: Abandoned Children shows how well an X-com like tactical game can work with superheroes (or at least superhero like characters). Of course Marvel characters would be a lot different than Troubleshooter, since its got a world and characters with years of developed background and lore, and of course its western rathern than Asian, which always at least subtly influences things like story and tone.

forgottenlor

Font of Useless Knowledge
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)

June 7th, 2021, 18:17
I'm totally for this.

I'm just hoping we area ble to make our own guys with their own powers….this could be really good.
--
If you don't stand behind your troops, feel free to stand in front.

rune_74

SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Firaxis - Working on a Turn-Based Marvel Game