What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread - Page 292 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

Default What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

June 24th, 2021, 20:50
Midsommar would have worked better if, like in Hereditary by the same director, the cast had been flawed but sympathetic. Toni Colette was fucking crazy as the mom in Hereditary, but it still broke my heart to see her family torn apart.

The victims in Midsommar were like the cast of a conventional slasher flick -- annoying kids designed to be disposable. I didn't give a damn when the three guys were killed off (I actually cared more about the British couple's deaths than about the main cast), so the heroine's big heel turn at the end didn't really have any impact for me.

The visual design was great, and the trick of a relentlessly sunlit horror flick worked well -- but for slow-burn horror like this, there needs to be emotion behind the scares, and for me there just wasn't.
--
"But if it's a battle," he said, "which side is which?"
"If it's a battle," said Lilac.

Hexprone

Thou hast lost an eighth!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

June 24th, 2021, 21:56
Moved that Bellingcat part, for obvious reasons (at least for me they were).
--
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. Douglas Adams
There are no facts, only interpretations. Nietzsche
Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go. Oscar Wilde

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 157 Post(s)

June 24th, 2021, 22:33
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
Watched the director's cut of Watchmen again last night. It's so much better than the rest of Zack Snyder's films that it's almost hard to believe it came from him.
It's the script taken from the brilliant comic that did the trick. It's just not possible to ruin it. Unlerss perhaps one is Uwe Boll…

Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
Also rewatched A Quiet Place since I plan on seeing the sequel very soon. I think I enjoyed it a little more this time around. It's actually pretty solid for a modern horror film.
That one was fun quite a bit when you pretend you didn't see the most silent baby that ever was.
Also, the shotgun solution, okay combo method it is, but cmon.
I'll watch the sequel too for some laughs.

Originally Posted by danutz_plusplus View Post
Midsommar.
Style over substance garbage I always recommend skipping unless one is florist and needs some ideas for arrangements.
Inexperienced viewer might find some stuff disturbing though, especially if skipped worldwide cinema masterpieces like brazilian Elite Squad with necklacing scene, otherwise everything feels meh.

Originally Posted by kazga View Post
His other movie was full of subtle references, I expect Midsommar is no different.
His other movie was full of nothing (not to say bs), but absolutely amazing performance by Toni Collette saved it from being unwatchable.
Still, I recommend it only to her fans, noone else.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 208 Post(s)

June 24th, 2021, 23:47
Originally Posted by joxer View Post
Style over substance garbage I always recommend skipping unless one is florist and needs some ideas for arrangements.
Inexperienced viewer might find some stuff disturbing though, especially if skipped worldwide cinema masterpieces like brazilian Elite Squad with necklacing scene, otherwise everything feels meh.
Anybody tell you this “matter-of-fact” and blunt try-hard way of speaking leaves an impression of either immaturity and/or arrogance?

Anyways, I’ve enjoyed Midsommar overall. Not garbage, not one bit. I also liked that it had a distinct visual style.

danutz_plusplus

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)

June 24th, 2021, 23:52
Rewatched Relatos Salvajes (Wild Tales) - six tales of revenge. Lol - forgot how much I liked that crazy movie.
--
"I cannot define the real problem, therefore I suspect there's no real problem, but I'm not sure there's no real problem."
Richard Feynman

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)

June 25th, 2021, 20:56
Anybody tell you this ₓmatter-of-fact₝ and blunt try-hard way of speaking leaves an impression of either immaturity and/or arrogance?
Everyone did.
That won't change.
I found the movie pathetically bad, a waste of time and money, potentially scary only to children and still can't believe people are more disturbed by death from fast suffocation than 20 minutes of agony while trapped in tires.
On top of that the visitors meeting their demise idea was covered numerous times in far better movies like all time classic And Soon The Darkness without extreme xenophobic subtext.
Or vice versa where those (ignorant, naive, stupid, name it) visitors cause tragedies in the not so old The Night of Sunflowers.
Just an opinion.

But don't forget what I wrote in my first post.
It's style over substance movie (at least is not without any substance) which can be enough for audiences who enjoy style only.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

June 26th, 2021, 09:12
Seems I'm just picking off random movies that have been on my watchlist for a long time. Last night I saw Chinatown, featuring a very young Jack Nicholson. Pretty solid overall. I love a good noir-detective story.

danutz_plusplus

SasqWatch

June 26th, 2021, 14:50
Wonder Woman 1984: Not bad for what it is - a biff, pop, pow superhero movie for little girls… or at least what 50 year old guys like Geoff Johns (writer) and Zack Snyder (producer) and me think appeals to little girls. Unfortunately that's a narrow demographic, and at odds with the tone of the DC movies before Shazam. Gal Gadot looks the best she ever has as WW in part due to the more classic looking costume. Not enough full furry Cheetah by a long shot, and there is a LOT of very wonky CGI. I'd describe it as a well intentioned missfire.
--
If you have no other choice but to kill, you have failed.
Ntwa kgolo ke ya molomo

Philistine

Keeper of the Watch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

June 26th, 2021, 15:23
loading…
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

June 26th, 2021, 15:38
Also saw the sequel to Chinatown, A Tale of Two Jakes. It wasn’t as good as Chinatown. And the mystery and resolution was convoluted and rang hollow.

danutz_plusplus

SasqWatch

June 27th, 2021, 00:12
Watched Raya And The Last Dragon … Nice movie, teaching us that dragons do not need to look dark and grim and dangerous …

Although it is a family movie, it looks and feels very much female oriented … I still have yet to see a movie which has a balance betwen both …

Female oriented Disney movies have strong characters and a deeper psychologically oriented plot (Frozen 1 & 2, Tangled, Raya), meanwhile male oriented Disney mocvies have weak characters and a flat forgettable plot (Ralph, Onward).

I fear that we won't see a movie which has all of them together within the next decades.

I see no balance.
--
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)

July 3rd, 2021, 20:26
A Quiet Place Part II

Decent enough if you liked the first one. I enjoyed it for the most part but found the ending somewhat abrupt and unsatisfying.

I like how it picks up from exactly where the first movie ends. You can watch them back to back and it's literally one movie.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 110 Post(s)

July 3rd, 2021, 22:23
I rewatched, since my SO hadn't, Django Unchained. I remember being somewhat underwhelmed by it the first time, and I think I had a similar experience this time. It's good. Definitely not bad. But not great. Nothing compared to Inglorious Basterds which I find similar. Also, Hateful Eight is a way better western. Django might be, without thinking too much, one of his worst, for me at least. Having just looked over all his movies, yeah I think it might be my least favorite.

danutz_plusplus

SasqWatch

July 4th, 2021, 00:12
Also, Hateful Eight is a way better western. Django might be, without thinking too much, one of his worst, for me at least. Having just looked over all his movies, yeah I think it might be my least favorite.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 110 Post(s)

July 4th, 2021, 00:23
I watched the Christmas horror movie Better Watch Out last night. Some good Australian actors (especially Levi Miller and Olivia DeJonge) and a good ending made it an overall plus for me despite some tonal shift weirdness and PG-13 feel (despite being rated R)

JFarrell71

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)

July 4th, 2021, 00:57
I liked Django. It was slightly screwed up by the self-indulgent third-and-a-half act, but Christoph Waltz's line made it, for me: "I'm sorry - I just couldn't resist."

Yeah - I'll lose all my chips to take you down, you total @+#& !
--
"I cannot define the real problem, therefore I suspect there's no real problem, but I'm not sure there's no real problem."
Richard Feynman

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)

July 4th, 2021, 01:37
I also liked Django, but it was my least favorite. Not sure why. It’s decent overall but somehow I wasn’t left with much. I actually had almost completely forgotten the plot, aside from the mission to get Django’s wife back. It’s been 8 years, but I’m not sure I so easily forgot his other movies.

danutz_plusplus

SasqWatch

July 4th, 2021, 03:31
Put me in the same category, I enjoyed Django for what it was, yet certainly preferred the Hateful Eight, and agree it's the superior western. I wouldn't be against QT doing more of that genre, for sure.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)

July 4th, 2021, 18:26
Saw Bad Education. Pretty good movie about some public school teachers embezzling school funds.

What I’d really like to see is a similar movie on how the US military lost 21 trillion, or other mismanagement with some seriously large funds. Funny how these sorts of movies are always on the public school teacher stealing, and never on the true fat cats, with very few exceptions. It’s almost as if there’s no issue in destroying trust in the public school system, but god forbid other institutions be dragged through the mud.

Anyway, I’d still recommend the movie.

danutz_plusplus

SasqWatch

July 4th, 2021, 22:04
"Help!" by The Beatles ! - A pretty crazy movie, almost unthinkable by todays's standards …

It has things that remind one of Monty Python, and in general, the movie was made in an sense of innocence that is unthinkable to day. It's a *very* childish movie, in fact !

Watching that movie is like … looking back into time - into a time that will never ever come back again. It's a bit like … looking back into paradise … of the Beatles era.
--
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread