Deus Ex - Does it still hold up?

I re-played this a couple of years ago. It still held up remarkably well and I managed to really enjoy it; however, the level design did feel clunky, and the script was laughably dire in places.

Actually, imho the level design was the part that stood out the most. Of course, today you have a lot of better examples. But back in the days there haven't been that many games that really supported multiple solutions by level design. IMHO not even DX:HR achieved that level of freedom, although it did quite well.

Tried to play it a few years ago, but unfortunately, it didn't hold up for me. Without the Nostalgia factor, it's simply to clunky. With games where this factor is present, like Dark Project, it's much more enjoyable to replay it.

Hell yeah it holds. I recommand downloading the Revision mod and to play it with biomod setting. Great fun! It gives a whole new spin to an old classic.

https://www.dx-revision.com/

Reminds me of an old internet meme: "DEUS EX: Every time you mention it, SOMEONE will reinstall it." :D

Yes it does. It was from a time where levels were designed to look like real places. The Looking Glass school of design.

Hell yeah it holds. I recommand downloading the Revision mod and to play it with biomod setting. Great fun! It gives a whole new spin to an old classic.

https://www.dx-revision.com/

Reminds me of an old internet meme: "DEUS EX: Every time you mention it, SOMEONE will reinstall it." :D

I was actually a little disappointed with Revision. Considering how long it was in development (7 years), it doesn't improve DX as much as I thought it would.

There's a similar mod that I suspect might be superior to Revision, but I haven't tried it yet. It's called GMDX.

http://genericname112.wix.com/gmdx#!home/mainPage

Since I have a rather interesting love/hate relationship with DX:HR (I have bought that damn thing three times for three different platforms - yet I still unsure if I like it or not), so to get my conspiracy fix (X-files reboot, hell yeaaaah!), I gave the original DX a whirl a few weeks before.

I regret to say, it has aged badly.

The level design is bland, the presentation is laughable, the non-linearity pretty much feels like the dreaded "designer says..."-chore.

I guess it has nothing to do with the game though.
Times they are-a-changin', and the game has been overshadowed by newer and better ones, most notably FO:New Vegas (Non-linear! C&C! Classless! Non-fantasy! Action! Drama! Humor!)

I guess this is the same situation as with Ultima 7.
A historical masterpiece, but do I recommend to any newbie RPGer?
No. Let them play Div:OS instead.

I tried to play the original after playing HR (which was freakin awesome) and just couldn't get into it. I loaded up one of the mega mods, not sure which one now but it didn't help. I can totally see where it would have been a masterpiece when it came out but in todays market it didn't age very well for me.

I tried to play the original after playing HR

... mind you, I have played the original when it came out.
I was totally on the hype train (play the way you want!), so I started building a sniper assassin / tranquilizer infiltrator character.

I was deadly from a distance, I was silent in melee, which was fine until...
... Hell's Kitchen. Lots of close quarters combat, lots of mechs, so my build sucked big time.

Cheat time, saw the ending, meh.

Yes, it does, I am doing a play-through for the first time right now! It is going slow with many distractions, but I am sure I'll finish!

Back
Top Bottom