Witcher 3 - Series sold over 20 Million Copies

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
WCCFTech reports that the Witcher series has sold over 20 million copies already:

CD Projekt RED is a team that requires no introduction, as it’s the studio behind one of the best role playing games released last year, The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt. The series as a whole is doing great, according to the latest financial results report, which has also revealed plenty of other interesting things on Cyberpunk 2077 and future projects.

According to the latest CDPR financial results report, The Witcher series has sold over 20 million copies worldwide, an excellent result that’s well deserved. Digital sales of the latest entry of the series have also been going great, as they currently represent the 50.2% of the revenue. [...]
More infos from NeoGAF:

CD Projekt's conference has now ended.

Some information:

• Combined sales of all Witcher games is now over 20 million copies
  • Plan for 2016: A new type of video game format previously unexplored by the Studio
  • Digital sales of the Witcher 3 - 31.6% representing 50.2% of the revenue
Plans for 2017-2021:

• Release of Cyberpunk 2077
  • "We aren't a long way away from the premiere" - Adam Badowski on the state of the development of Cyberpunk 2077
  • Release of another AAA RPG
  • Expansion of core franchises with additional media content and product lines
  • Two fold expansion of the CDPR team - creation of four individual teams, two of them tasked with the development of of games representing new segments
  • Establishment of new local branches of CDPR in key territories
GOG.com in 2016:

• Release of an AAA game unaffiliated with GOG, with full support of GOG Galaxy- concurrent with global release date.
  • More global releases of AAA titles with Galaxy support coming in 2017-2021
Misc:

• Share price increased by 353% in the last 4 years
  • CDPR to buy back shares in the future
Thanks Eye!

More information.

It baffles me that digital sales still only represent 50%. Who is buying all this physical media? I don't own a console but isn't it possible to buy games digitally for console?

I hope they invest some of that money into more cRPG style RPGs and not only AAA games.

I'm glad they are doing well. They are one of my favorite devs.

Misc:

CDPR to buy back shares in the future
Just buy shares in Bioware and Obsidian pls. Or buy them both then make games together.

It baffles me that digital sales still only represent 50%. Who is buying all this physical media? I don't own a console but isn't it possible to buy games digitally for console?

Have you seen their physical releases compared to "here's your leaflet and a DVD, be happy" most games get these days? It's not hard to imagine why some would go out of their way to get physical just for the goods.

That's one of main points on how their company started. Communism is a breeding ground for video game piracy. Marx never saw it coming. ;)

It's all about resale. I buy everything digital for pc but physical for console so I can sell it when I'm done playing it.

I'm surprised anyone buys digital for their consoles considering they have a shelf life. If you get rid of your console like I do when the new ones come out then you'd just be throwing away all those digital games.

I would hope that with the rise of console digital sales that the next iteration of consoles will have full backwards compatibility but I wouldn't bank on it.

Communism is a breeding ground for video game piracy.
I assure you there is less piracy in North Korea than total of the rest of the world.
So, no.

Oddly, none still mentioned "A new type of video game format" line.
What could it be?
Magic The Gathering ripoff like Heartstone? I don't think so, they had gwent already.
Tabletop simulator? Nah, already made.

I fear it's some grinding nostory arcadey MMO. As so far they made everything that's not that.

EDIT:
Sorry, now I see it's discussed in another thread.
http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1061390408#post1061390408
I'll continue there.

Just buy shares in Bioware and Obsidian pls. Or buy them both then make games together.

They're referring to buying BACK shares - i.e., their own shares. This is one way for public companies to reward investors by bolstering the equity price.

IIRC, they sold 30% PC vs. 70% consoles so it's probably mostly Blu-Rays for Xbone and PS4 since it isn't as easy to grab cheap keys for console as it is for PC while it can be easy to find good deals for physical console copies.

By the way it's 50% revenue but only actual 31.6% of the copies/units sold were digital so in terms of units ~70% of the copies of the TW3 out there are physical copies.
They made more money from digital sales though for obvious reasons.

Quote from the article linked above…
In fact, the console versions of The Witcher 3 comprised 70% of the game’s sales, with the PC version representing the other 30%. And despite over half a million GoG sales for The Witcher 3, 75% of its sales were for the physical retail copy, with only 25% of sales from digital storefronts.

That's a pretty good sales total; perhaps US$ 1 billion worth? I wonder what the record is for a stand-alone video RPG?

They're referring to buying BACK shares - i.e., their own shares. This is one way for public companies to reward investors by bolstering the equity price.

Any effect from it is shortterm.
Thus I still stand at my suggestion.

That's a pretty good sales total; perhaps US$ 1 billion worth? I wonder what the record is for a stand-alone video RPG?

The Elder Scrolls. Remember, the 20 million copies is all 3 games. If you just take the last 3 of TES, that's Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim. Skyrim sold nearly 13 million copies from 11-11-11 to the end of that year...

or GTA?

For a somewhat "niche" AAA game and their first one at that, this is phenomenal success. This is, essentially, their Morrowind.
And when you look at names this year...MGS, Halo, Tomb Raider, Fallout... for Witcher to come out on top ( in critical acclaim, highest percentage of GOTY awards ever) was more than they could hope for.
If they play their cards right, Cyberpunk will far surpass this. So long as it doesn't come with the price of "streamlining".

Well deserved and sounds like they are going to be the dominant force along with Beth/Bio from now on in AAA RPGs.

Beth and Bio could certainly learn some lessons from CDPR..... many lessons.

I found W3 to be very shallow compared to Skyrim; except in the area of quests and quest NPC's. Those were a million times better in every way.

YMMV

Also, couldn't they have worded this, "it sold 30% on pc, 35% on PS4 and 35% on the Xbox? The way the article was worded, it is like coding for the Xbox One and PS4 are the same thing. To be honest, the coding is very similar for the Bone and the PC, and the PS4 is the nightmare. How about wording it like this, the game sold 65% on Microsoft products and 35% on Sony.

uh, just for clarification, North Korea is a totalitarian dictatorship, or an absolute monarchy, not communism. communism doesn't have hereditary leaders.

technically, all references to communism were removed from the NK constitution in 2009... it is basically a wack job rule.

Sorry about the NK stuff... that was just in reference to piracy, communism, and NK...but my experience with Witcher is just the first two episodes...but I've been impressed with what they've been able to do with those. And here's to hoping Cyberpunk will do that much better. I have to say I am a big fan of "cyberpunk" in general.

Back
Top Bottom