System Shock - Dissecting the Cancellation Apology

He left out

"the further we got from the original concepts that made System Shock so great, the closer we felt we were to a game that would sell well to a modern audience"

Then you don't believe Stephen Kick, CEO of Nightdive Studios?
"We moved from a Remaster to a completely new game."
"The more that we worked on the game … the further we got from the original concepts that made System Shock so great."

"Completely new game" meaning it was more than just a remaster. He didn't mean it was literally a different game.

Can "no game at all" really be considered a different game though?

Well, the entire "no game at all" aspect of this would just leave people wondering as to where the funds went. Maybe up in a cloud of McQuaid smoke, who knows? Perhaps we'll get a tell-all story after the dust has settled.

For me, this was the first of a new wave of Kickstarters: projects I loved to see, but declined to support due to feeling burned by other high-profile projects that 1) didn't pan out, or 2) I never got around to playing until they were cheaper via sales than via Kickstarter, anyway.

This is a great reminder to continue being stingy with my Kickstarter dollars. Thank goodness and good riddance.

put on hiatus ... I wonder if this project will ever be revisited or whether this is now goodbye System Shock, forever.

I get the impression that they've pissed away all the funds trying to make something that the initial bid was never intended to do. What a travesty, and I was really looking forward to an updated version of this.

Its called MONEY BURNING in expert gamedev circles. This under 2 mil was coffee money, big studios burn much more and produce JUNK that is thrown out. :D So during years of these projects the developers are being paid to produce content that will end up in the dust bin and never sees the light of the world.

Wait, in the end it said that they are still making the game? or did I misunderstand something ?

Wait, in the end it said that they are still making the game? or did I misunderstand something ?

I think people are reading between the lines. It may not be officially declared dead, but it looks pretty terminal.

Honestly, I'd say its pure guess work at this point if there will ever actually be a game from this or not. All that money should have at least produced something other than angst.

Back
Top Bottom