Divinity: Original Sin II - RPG Codex Review

On that note, I also think writing an 8000 word essay on a computer game he thought was a bit crap is a rather peculiar use of energy. :p

It sure was, but it's supposed to be a review form, not betatest feedback.

I don't think it's that odd at all - if you're actually passionate about the genre, then for better or worse, one is generally open to putting into such effort.

Jesus. You guys should set aside about 10% of the mental energy you put into hating on RPGCodex and develop your own game! :D

It really doesn't take all that much energy to criticize some of the flaws of the Codex. Kind of a no-brainer, really.

I don't think it's that odd at all - if you're actually passionate about the genre, then for better or worse, one is generally open to putting into such effort.

Perhaps. Personally, I'd claim to be passionate about music, but I can't really imagine listening to an album I think is crap, and then writing a dissertation on what was wrong with it. :p

Jesus. You guys should set aside about 10% of the mental energy you put into hating on RPGCodex and develop your own game! :D

We've got ourselves a codex trojan here.

I'll spam his PM with feminism propaganda, that would drive him away. ;)

#MaylanderReviewGate2017
Never forget!

Perhaps. Personally, I'd claim to be passionate about music, but I can't really imagine listening to an album I think is crap, and then writing a dissertation on what was wrong with it. :p

How would you know its crap until you listened to it?

I think once you embraced the system for what it was, it was enjoyable enough…but I still felt compelled to tweak a few things with certain mods to fully enjoy it:

Use "Armor-based Saving Throws", "Rest restores Source", "Reduced Number Bloat", and "Crafting Overhaul" mods, the game became much more fun (for me).

There was a bit of cognitive dissonance coming into it expecting more of the attributes/abilities than what was implemented, maybe in line with D&D, or the S.P.E.C.I.A.L system as implemented in classic Fallouts.

The game got voted as GOTY on the Codex for a reason, and to much butthurt by the few haters like Roxor.

Yep, voters did not play many other vid products (despite this place lavishly supporting the crowdfunding movement)

There are reasons why award institutions request their jury members to know the nominatees.
In a movie festival, voters must see all movies before they can cast a vote.

Basic stuff.

Too basic apparently.

Beat the game on the hardest difficulty and then complain about mechanics. You will find many of the mechanics work when you do. I beat the game on the hardest difficulty on my first try,
As did streamers. Shows how generic this product is.

But seriously, I think a game is improvement over first, even with some weird choices with mechanics.
They should ditch the setting and move onto something new. less quirky and with less talking animals.

How would you know its crap until you listened to it?

Obviously you listen to it, play it, whatever. My point is that I wouldn't feel the urge to invest a significant chunk of time in a long essay about why I think it's crap.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that - it was just in response to a comment about wasting energy.

Did you listen to what Ripper posts in music section? He does it all the time. :p

Yes, I've been meaning to refine my sensibilities by delving into that fathomless artistic treasure trove that is Croatian popular music. :p

Yep, voters did not play many other vid products (despite this place lavishly supporting the crowdfunding movement)

There are reasons why award institutions request their jury members to know the nominatees.
In a movie festival, voters must see all movies before they can cast a vote.

Basic stuff.

Too basic apparently.
What kind of an absurd point is that to make?
You can't seriously expect people voting online to have played every single RPG on the list, online communities are no institutions.

Institutions was used instead of a better word.

There is no doom in holding voting contests. If a voting contest does not meet essential requirements, then it might not be held. As far as it is known, no one points a gun on the head of organizers.

When a voting contest does not meet an essential requirement like ensuring that each nominatee has access to the same voter pool, consequences apply.

A product with a three voter pool is much less likely to get elected than a product with a 80 voter pool.

Action and consequences.

Like a lot, have fun with it people...
Always dismissing other people's way to have fun.

It is possible that a player bought a product, had little fun with it and actually got fun from writing the 8000 word long essay.

This option is obvious in regard have fun, like a lot. Yet, of course, it does not sit well with people with a supremacist background, who bear no other way than their own.

People writing reviews only when they like it work toward that goal. Understandly, people who somewhat recoup their money by having fun writing a review while not having fun do not work toward that goal.

I spent a lot of time playing around with this game at launch and replayed the first act a few times. I found it very enjoyable, but then something was going on where I started playing less, and then I got busy, and I stopped play for a long time. I recently picked it back up, noting mostly positive scores and reviews. I had a hard time getting back into it. I found myself unable to play for very long at one sitting. Today I read this RPG Codex Review. Basically it sums up the key issue for me. There really is not much fun in leveling up. The item discovery is boring because they are leveled items and also the combat in general (which for me was the grand achievement in the first game), seems very repetitive and bland. I am still using the same original skills / spells for the most part. Also every character can heal themselves and hide/escape/teleport. So there's much less group / role strategy. So basically I agree with this review and think is it fair critique of the game. I find myself looking ahead to PoE 2 and Kingmaker. Too bad.

Back
Top Bottom