The TV Series discussion thread

Maybe the writers initially assumed there would be another season.

As Redglyph said, they knew it was the last season greenlit by Amazon, but they have expressed hope that the series might continue in the future. There are, after all, several more books already published in the series. There was no way they were going to get to any kind of overall ending with an order of 6 episodes.

And as decent as the telly show of the Expanse is, the books are so much better. If you've not checked them out, you really should. Heck, you won't even have to wonder if you'll enjoy them or not, if the show was watchable I guarantee the novels will more than satisfy. Even after all the novels are done I suspect we'll see more entrants into this universe soon, it's simply too rich to ignore.

And as decent as the telly show of the Expanse is, the books are so much better. If you've not checked them out, you really should. Heck, you won't even have to wonder if you'll enjoy them or not, if the show was watchable I guarantee the novels will more than satisfy. Even after all the novels are done I suspect we'll see more entrants into this universe soon, it's simply too rich to ignore.

I made a pause after Cibola Burn, but I'll continue the series at some point. I'm curious to see how this compares (or not) regarding the story for this last episode, but mostly what happens next. :) Have you read them all? I mean the main books, not the novellas.

I'll probably read them given that the series goes beyond the show and the show may never resume. I'm pretty invested in this story.

I don't know, trying to focus on the other rings of power might be a smart move, and delving deep into Numenor could pay huge dividends, if done correctly. Of course Sauron was involved with all those parts as well, the first episode will tell a lot about the direction of this one.

I really liked season 1 of the Expanse. The theme was quite original. The rest was great aswell - detailed scifi with outcasts and different factions is always good if someone manage to create that. But I wish games would be detailed like that and interactive.

Yellowstone with Kevin Costner is interesting aswell - after the few first very emotive epizodes it started to make sense. I have feeling I know more about Montana and cowboys like I would live there for some time.

I liked the first two series of Yellowstone, yet now that you have to pay to watch it, I've let it go. I always did enjoy Costner, and the pilot for Yellowstone was really good, one of the better kick-off episodes that I've ever witnessed for a telly show.

I don't know, trying to focus on the other rings of power might be a smart move, and delving deep into Numenor could pay huge dividends, if done correctly. Of course Sauron was involved with all those parts as well, the first episode will tell a lot about the direction of this one.

I don’t have an issue with that, just the title. Seems very goofy to me. :D
Personally I’d just not even have a subtitle. I guess they’re hoping people will refer to it that way, and not by the Lotr tv series.

I just finished the Expanse.
I agree with most people here. It looks like a cheapened shortened version.

Anyone know why? Why wasn't it 10 episodes?

They had a reduced budget. Amazon and Alcon Television asked if it was possible to limit it to 6 episodes, because the initial plan was too expensive (for what they thought it was worth for).

For the "cheapened" part, it eludes me as I wrote earlier above. They spent part of the time airing an early story for an hypothetic next season when they knew it wouldn't happen. They had some hope but they could have just not spent money and air time for that, it made no sense. And they left many pending threads because of this, it could definitely have been more properly tied up.

They had a reduced budget. Amazon and Alcon Television asked if it was possible to limit it to 6 episodes, because the initial plan was too expensive (for what they thought it was worth for).

For the "cheapened" part, it eludes me as I wrote earlier above. They spent part of the time airing an early story for an hypothetic next season when they knew it wouldn't happen. They had some hope but they could have just not spent money and air time for that, it made no sense. And they left many pending threads because of this, it could definitely have been more properly tied up.

Yeah, all the things happening on that planet just added to nothing at all.
New characters, new storyline, but nothing else. It's like a pilot for The Expanse: Resurrection.

I finished Arcane, which I thought was actually quite good. I know nothing about League of Legends, for which this apparently is a prequel, but my eldest daughter plays that and she felt it was a good prequel to the events in LoL.
Anyway, you don't need to know League of Legends to enjoy Arcane.

Is it me or is that really stupid? Besides the repetition of the word 'rings' and the lame 'power', it feels really uninspired and corny.

I agree. I rolled my eyes when I saw the announcement.

Hopefully it's not just all about the rings. I'd like to see it start earlier than that. Like the rise of Númenor and how Sauron came to be there.

I've said this before yet I'll say it again: if you enjoy the Expanse show, you must read the books. If anything, instead of cutting down on substance, each books only gets bigger and bolder! Right now I've just started book seven myself, and it's off to a glorious start. I've not watched the sixth series on telly yet, I expect I'll watch that as soon as I get through this book or another.

I've not watched the sixth series on telly yet, I expect I'll watch that as soon as I get through this book or another.
With the speed you are moving through books that shouldn't take long ;)

Finished the Stay Close miniseries on Netflix.

It wasn't bad. Worth seeing if you like mystery/drama. It keeps you guessing and ended up having a decent twist at the end.

Haha nope not done book seven yet, though I did chug through over forty percent of it today. The Expanse books and, to a smaller extent, the show are just so compelling to me, the universe so rich and this current book takes full advantage of that, in a way that I think would be hard to reproduce on film. Though I'd certainly like to see someone make the attempt!

Back
Top Bottom