Age of Decadence (modded) : Thief run

Pladio

Guardian of Nonsense
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Well, this thread might contain some spoilers, so if you've not played the Thief background before, you may want to not read once I talk about gameplay… (not in the first post of the thread)

First of all, I want to note that I have played through AoD as a mercenary, assassin, merchant and loremaster before already (which are the main paths through the game) and I have dabbled with a few other backgrounds too. The only one remaining is the thief which I waited for because ITS were going to release a massive update to the Thief questlines, which they have.

Second, this run through the game is modded using Sunfire's unofficial fix, Community Mod and Double SP mod.
The unofficial patch contains a wide array of bugfixes throughout the game, which is really nice as the devs have essentially stopped supporting the game. I recommend it for sure.
The Community Mod is also by Sunfire and he has put together several mods which includes cut content, quality of life additions and some additional quests/fights.
The Double SP Mod is a standalone mod which allows you to modify the amount of skillpoints you earn. It defaults at 2x, but I changed it to 1.2x. The main reason being that I know how the game works and I'm playing to get through the Thief's storyline mostly, whilst still being able to enjoy combat. I think the extra SP allows me to spread my points a bit thinner, whilst not compromising too much on the game's difficulty. I may redo it slightly differently without this mod some point into the future, but since I do enjoy the combat, I didn't want my thief to solely be a thief.

I will be posting my Thief's stats and skills in the next post probably, but if I don't get any interest about it here, that may be the last post.

EDIT: Mod page on official forums :
http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php/topic,7451.0.html

Cool, look forward to seeing your base stats and how you build them during the run. Daggers, dodge, alchemy... and, er, streetwise and merchant to get the most out of all the stolen goods maybe? Will be interesting to see!
I quite like the fact that the merchants in the game are generally devious, deadly bastards rather than easy pickings. I imagine a thief run will be pretty challenging.

So I started the game with the following stats:
Strength 7
Dexterity 9
Constitution 5
Perception 8
Intelligence 7
Charisma 4

I put my skill points into:
Dagger 3
Block 3
CS 2

Lockpick 3
Sneak 2
Steal 3

My goal was to build a good hybrid that could run through the Abyss and most of the hidden content.
I think I have succeeded in doing although not in an easy way.

The trick for Teron was to avoid combat as much as possible for the main quests except for Feng's assassination request. This allows me to do all of the following, Thieves' first quest, help Feng, get into Feng's and the Smith's houses to steal and learn skills. It then allowed me to infiltrate the palace to steal a good dagger and also the mantra for the
skyship

I then finished Teron as a full thief until after the warehouse sequence and I managed to beat the guards to get out of town using sneak too, which was cool.

Once in Maadoran, I followed the thugs to get one of the best mid-game daggers, which I am still using. I then proceeded to fight in as many arena fights I could to increase my combat skills. I then started working through several Maadoran questlines until I got to the first Thieves' guild quest in Maadoran, which netted my a special jar. There are only two of those in the game, and being a thief allows you to get both.

This is what then allowed me to get to the facility to increase my main attributes a bit more and made the difference for the arena fights. I was then able to beat Kadmos, whose armour is Blue Steel and really good for most of Maadoran.

I am now arena champion, got to the Abyss and did almost all of the sidequests except the Monastery.

My first character in that game was a thief and I'll tell you, that should simply be called the sadist class for this game. It certainly made it memorable, and playing a more combat focused player on the second run through seemed like child's play by comparison.

My first character in that game was a thief and I'll tell you, that should simply be called the sadist class for this game. It certainly made it memorable, and playing a more combat focused player on the second run through seemed like child's play by comparison.

Did you play a pure thief or a hybrid ?

I think playing as a pure thief seems quite ok. It's the combat elements that make it much harder in my opinion. Note that the thief questline has changed quite a bit since the game came out. They also added a lot of ways for thieves to get more Skill Points.

I'm glad to hear that it's easier now to play as a pure thief, but it was brutal when I first did it, or at least it seemed pretty difficult to me. That's pretty much my go-to class for any game if it is available, that or some melee type, I avoid finger wigglers as much as possible.

How are you getting on? If you've finished, I'd be interested in seeing your final build.

Yeah, I ended up finishing the game faster than I expected. I went through it all loyal to the Thieves' Guild and Levir in particular. It was an interesting choice and I may play again.

Since I got both jars, my attributes are much better than only having one jar, which actually makes a massive difference to the game.

I ended up trying out a few endings as ITS have changed them up a bit.
I also defeated the end boss, but my fighting stats weren't good enough for that.

I had to use alchemy (not my own) to defeat him.
I am thinking of doing a merc run next with full crafting and alchemy to see if I can defeat the boss using only fighting skills really, but that's not for now.

I have attached a couple of screenshots.

Attachments

• 20180310111815_1.jpg
    20180310111815_1.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 14
  • 20180310111825_1.jpg
    20180310111825_1.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 14
Back
Top Bottom