Fallout 4 - Where's Mod Support?

Aubrielle

Noveliste
Why is there no official mod support for Fallout 4 yet? Cheat Code Central examines the issue.

It's been about two months since Fallout 4 was released. We can safely and comfortably say it was a hit. People are even going crazy over related merchandise, like the tie-in Nuka Cola Quantum and clothing. There's even an active modding scene. It's just a shame that there's no official mod support.

Bethesda games are known for their longevity. This is due to their support of fan-made creations. Thanks to mods, the Steam Workshop and Nexus Mods keeps the titles fresh for years after their release. Even Fallout: New Vegas just received an amazing and comprehensive Autumn Leaves fan expansion. Yet, with Fallout 4, we have no official mod tools or support. The horizon is barren. People are forced to resort to ingenuity to make things happen.

Part of this is due to the complications that are bound to come from Fallout 4 mods. Bethesda is going to make this the first entry where fan creations for the Windows PC version will eventually be playable on the Xbox One, then the PlayStation 4. Compatibility takes time. But surely, something could have been released before 2015 ended. Mod tools can be based upon the programs the developers themselves use with the game. Getting consumer-friendly tools out should have been a priority.

Especially since other Bethesda games set a certain standard. Fallout: New Vegas was released on October 19, 2010. Its Garden of Eden Creation Kit was released two days later, on October 21. Yes, the Skyrim Creation Kit took about two months to arrive after its November 11, 2011 release, but at least we heard something. Aside from saying Fallout 4 mod support is coming, even to consoles, we haven't had any updates on when or how.
More information.

More information.

I have been eagerly awaiting the FO4 version of the Creation Kit ever since it came out. I know there's DLCs on the horizon, based on some of the areas people have discovered while exploring. As the article says, usually Bethesda gets their mod support out before their DLCs. But I wonder if the same will be true this time around. I hope its not another 4-5 months out, but I do hope they release it with as little bugs as possible (though we all know it won't be bug free).

I wouldn't be surprised if Beth was busily working behind the scene on payed mods scheme and will not release modkit until it's done...

I wouldn't be surprised if Beth was busily working behind the scene on payed mods scheme and will not release modkit until it's done…
Based on past interviews they want every player to use their own one service called Bethesda.net. So I have a feeling when they announce the final plans I will not like it.

Based on past interviews they want every player to use their own one service called Bethesda.net. So I have a feeling when they announce the final plans I will not like it.

My rage is already starting to simmer...

Did not Bethesda announce the release of the mod kit to be around January?
It seems they did that before FO4 release.

The mod support is where it is supposed to be.

They better hurry coz any post-Oblivion Bethesda game without mods is weak as shit

Did not Bethesda announce the release of the mod kit to be around January?
It seems they did that before FO4 release.

The mod support is where it is supposed to be.
No they did not just gave a vague sometime in 2016 answer. Fans have asked multiple times on Twitter to only be told they had no desire to talk about it yet.

Link - https://twitter.com/DCDeacon/status/657910391507415040

Seems fans have already found a limited way to do so.

Link - http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/?

It's not perfect though as you can only edit certain files without the modkit.

It's not just a lack of support, its pretty clear they want to keep a lid on modding for the present. There used to be secret menu on the launcher that allowed you to activate mods, but they removed it in the last patch so now you have to rely on third party tools. However, I suspect they just want to finish patching the game before they officially start supporting them. It makes sense for them to wait until the platform is stable before they open it up. Pissing people off by releasing patches that break all their favourite mods would just make Bethesda look even more like the bad guy. Plus I guess it stop people reporting bugs that are actually caused by poorly written mods.

I also doubt they would state a release date for the GECK until they were pretty sure they could meet it. With a bit of hope it shouldn't be that long now. I think it actually took nearer three months for the Skyrim Creation Kit to come out (from the 11th of November to the 7th of February), so hopefully it shouldn't be long now.

However, I certainly share the hope that Bethesda drop this silly idea of paid mods. Modders are already adding value to their products which costs Bethesda nothing, I can't see why they might want to endanger that.

However, I suspect they just want to finish patching the game before they officially start supporting them. It makes sense for them to wait until the platform is stable before they open it up. Pissing people off by releasing patches that break all their favourite mods would just make Bethesda look even more like the bad guy. Plus I guess it stop people reporting bugs that are actually caused by poorly written mods.

You are being too kind. Beth never cared about things like that in the past, why would they start now? Unless we are talking about paid for mods.

You are being too kind. Beth never cared about things like that in the past, why would they start now?
I believe it's kind of what they did with Skyrim; they didn't release the date of the creation kit until a few days before they actually did. I'm a software engineer and its exactly what I would have done, so it makes perfect sense to me. It's not about caring, it's just what makes the most sense. How long it will take for the F4 GECK obviously depends on how well the patching goes; they aren't going to release it till they are sure everything is fine to do so, why else would they? I suspect the reason why Obsidian could get away with releasing their GECK earlier was because the F:NV engine was basically the same as that of F3, so there was a lot less that could have gone wrong.

A line in the Fallout 4 EULA states that all Customized Game Materials, meaning all fan-made mods and customisations, must be distributed solely for free.

They better hurry coz any post-Oblivion Bethesda game without mods is weak as shit

I'd say more post-morrowind. And even then had I known about mods, I'd have used them. Still, MW was good w/o mods. OB, totally unplayable for me.

Based on past interviews they want every player to use their own one service called Bethesda.net.

So there shouldnt be paid mods, at least for some time. First they need to establish the service.

I don't see a problem with offering paid mods, as long as they allow unpaid mods as well.

Last edited:
A line in the Fallout 4 EULA states that all Customized Game Materials, meaning all fan-made mods and customisations, must be distributed solely for free.

That's also been true of past Bethesda games, hasn't it? And it's not much of an indication of future actions, since EULAs are routinely amended with software updates. Sony and Apple do it nearly every time, e.g., and Steam allows publishers to require agreement to a third-party EULA.

Probably this month, February at the latest. Fallout 4 is a more [over]complicated game than ever, with new texturing techniques, layered sound effects, and objects with built-in navmashing. Getting all that set up with stripped-down end user tools isn't going to be easy.

Mods are what take Beth games from reasonably good to great and give them incredible longevity.

I too suspect something fishy swimming towards gamers on this and fear it will become the norm for the big developers.

Man, I wonder what people would say if we didn't have Bethesda making games.

I personally would feel I would have missed a lot of great gaming moments. They are one of the only companies that supply a modding ability with their games and support it too. I can't think of any other game company that does it at this level. Did they make a mistake with paid mods? Yes. I think a lot were put off with the split of the money not the fact that developers could charge. There were other issues with such things as copyright as well...I'm hoping they back off personally, I love mods but being the cheap guy that I am I think I would avoid most.

Imagine...I have like 145 mods on my Skyrim(mostly graphical updates and new content, remember this is almost 5 years old now) I would be broke heh.

Back
Top Bottom