Starfield - New Info

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
DSOGaming reports that Todd Howard has shared some more details about Starfield.

Todd Howard has shared some new details about Bethesda's next big project, Starfield. According to Howard, Starfield will be solely a singleplayer, and it won't have any multiplayer modes. In addition, Bethesda aims to implement major overhauls to the Creation Engine.

Going into more details, Bethesda will overhaul the rendering, animation, and Artificial Intelligence & Pathing of the Creation Engine. Moreover, it will add support for Procedural Generation (something that will help its artists create bigger worlds).

In Starfield and in future games, NPCs will play a large role. For instance, players can expect cities to be expansive and large compared to past games. Additionally, Starfield will be on Game Pass from Day 1 alongside The Elder Scrolls 6.

[...]
Thanks Farflame!

More information.

Old news I shared this on November 5th in my news thread.:p
  • Starfield is a singleplayer, no multiplayer aspects.
  • A focus on procedural generation during level design confirmed for Starfield and TES:VI
    • This is a tool for developers to create massive landmass and does not mean the land will be randomly generated in real time like No Man's Sky, meaning your game will look the exact same as everyone else. This is simply an engine tool to create larger worlds, so expect Starfield (planets?) to be much larger than Fallout 76's map (clarification: speculative), which is already four times bigger than Skyrim. YOUR ELDER SCROLLS/STARFIELD MAP WILL LOOK THE EXACT SAME AS EVERYONE ELSE, THIS DOES NOT MEAN THAT THE MAP WILL BE RANDOMLY GENERATED.
  • **Huge major overhaul to the Creation Engine - larger than the jump from Morrowind to Oblivion ("**when people see the results, hopefully they'd be as happy as we are.")
    • Rendering
    • Animation
    • Artificial Intelligence & Pathing
    • Procedural Generation
    • And more areas.
  • It's going to be a while until we see Starfield, the release can be subject to delays etc. so he really doesn't feel comfortable talking about it yet.
    • He doesn't want to reveal Starfield earlier and just release teasers until the eventual release like Cyberpunk.
  • NPCs will play a large role in future games, cities will be expansive and large compared to past games, etc.
  • Will be on Game Pass from Day 1 alongside ES:VI.
  • Bethesda will continue to support mod support in the future.
  • Amount of developers are at least 4x - 5x larger than they were when they worked on Skyrim and Fallout 4. Starfield is going to be big.
    • Bethesda Games Studio Dallas, Maryland and Montreal are working on Starfield.
    • Bethesda Games Austin is in charge of Fallout 76's post-development with the Brotherhood of Steel expansion update coming this December.
If were lucky we might see some footage and more details next year.

"Additionally, Starfield will be on Game Pass from Day 1 alongside The Elder Scrolls 6."
Well, sadly, as I no longer trust the franchise, given the Micro$$$$oft takeover, if it's going to be purely GamePass only, then I'm afraid that they can stick them both where the sun doesn't shine...

Hoping to be proved wrong though...:)

Beth games went from must-buy first-day-purchases to wait-and-see a long time ago. Maybe having been bought by MS helps actually.

I will never forget the feeling when I handed in my master thesis with Oblivion in my backpack and couldn't wait to install it for the first time.

It looks like they are heading back in the right direction, crossing fingers.

It's funny to see the care that the market takes to avoid Cyberpunk's shadow.

I will never forget the feeling when I handed in my master thesis with Oblivion in my backpack and couldn't wait to install it for the first time.
That's cruel and should be forbidden! ;) And you still had to present it?
I remember Quake being released in June, during the exams. Thankfully it had leaked (unfinished) a few months before, which made the wait more bearable.

Yes, the time I'd blindly pre-order from trusted developers/publishers is long gone, as is buying a product from a renowned brand. Checking reviews first is a must.

Still hoping for a surprise release for Starfield or ES6 as they did with Skyrim. :)

Artificial Intelligence & Pathing

What is starting to creep me out is how realistic the attacking grizzly bear was in Arthdal Chronicles (2019). All of stupid Hollywoods SHT CGI is was easily recognizable as stupid and lame CGI. Yet the Koreans managed to make hyperrealistic animals on a budget… The bear was so good, I could only recognize it was CGI by how it behaved / played its role. :-OooOo

So, if such level of CGI is coming to games too in 5-10 years, we will have complete CGI actresses / NPCs and we won't be able to distinguish them from a real person.

Todd warned that it would be the norm going ahead, so we'll see.

So, if such level of CGI is coming to games too in 5-10 years, we will have complete CGI actresses / NPCs and we won't be able to distinguish them from a real person.

Still waiting for this.

Not having any multiplayer mode is IMHO a BIG PLUS!!

Still hoping for a surprise release for Starfield or ES6 as they did with Skyrim. :)
Starfield maybe but not ES6.
Bethesda Games Studio Dallas, Maryland and Montreal are working on Starfield.
Ah yes, it probably was Fallout 4 then.
It was Fallout 4 Todd announced it at E3 and it was released soon after the event.
Not having any multiplayer mode is IMHO a BIG PLUS!!
Not surprised as that's what Zenimax Online is used for. From what I remember that studio is working on a new SyFy MMO RPG game right now. Maye a Starfield MMO?

IIRC, Skyrim was announced in around mid 2011 (June?) and released on 11/11/11. So a pretty quick turnaround. No delays.

Edit: Nope, my recollection was wrong. It was announced at the Spike Awards in December 2010. I think it took a while for my hype to engage with Skyrim. I was disappointed that they went with Nords.

IIRC, Skyrim was announced in around mid 2011 (June?) and released on 11/11/11. So a pretty quick turnaround. No delays.

Edit: Nope, my recollection was wrong. It was announced at the Spike Awards in December 2010. I think it took a while for my hype to engage with Skyrim. I was disappointed that they went with Nords.
Early info suggest Readguards this time or Hammerfell again. I read a good article on this topic a few months back, about Bethesda running out of locations due to the MMO.

I would love to see an RPG set during pre-Empire.

Last edited:

It was FO4 that was announced in June and released in November.

I wonder how much the success of The Outer Worlds inspired and informed Bethesda's efforts with Starfield?

Back
Top Bottom