Things you don't need to know...

I remember when several Nile crocodiles were discovered in Florida a few years back. No one knows how they got here, but it's assumed that they escaped from some idiot private collector. It's a scary thought if they had managed to started breeding and establish a foothold here.
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/may/20/nile-crocodiles-found-in-south-florida-dna-analysis

Yeah, you don't want those buggers getting established, and they probably feel right at home. They'll come out of the water like a surface-to-air missile if you come within range, and grab you by the head.

Bergen@Norway

an incarnation of pibbur who at the moment only have 5 places on his not to visit list, 3 of them he can't remember.

Come to think of it: Australia is on my places not to visit list AND my place to visit list.

an incarnation of pibbur who has always been ambivalent, but ATM is not so sure.

PS. Florida is still only on my not list, because of temperatures unssuitable for human living. Same applies to down under of course, but in the US I at least have a choice. Alaska, here i come (maybe). DS

PPS. Unfortunately the wife doesn't have Oz on any list, which means that the issue cannot be raised. DS.

Last edited:
Snow is melting, temperatures are in the positive again (Celsius). It's been a little bit chaotic as usual because there is little equipment and infrastructure to clear the roads. And of course, de-icing one's car is never fun ;)

Then I just saw this, old gigs of Michael McIntyre always crack me up :lol:

How The British Deal With Snow

See, where I live, we don't have that problem; it has never snowed here!! :)

Well were I live at the roads are iced with power outages all day. Thanks to two ice and snowstorms covering over forty states in the last two days. Old man winter is a bitch.

Yeah, it's -3F/-19C here in STL. About 5-8" of snow depending on where you're at exactly. We haven't had this much snow in a long time. Of course, PA has 36 inches, so I'm not gonna gripe too much.

STL=St. Louis, Missouri, USA
PA=Pennsylvania, USA

Aren't you getting more and more of that every winter in the US, these last years?
In Europe it's pretty random, I miss the durable and good snow I had as a kid, of course it wasn't funny for everyone - people used to stop their car in front of our house and give up, because the street went steeper, some even knocked at the door to use our phone and get help ;)

Poles can be a problem when they're not fit for that type of weather. There were a few winters here with very low temperatures and many of them dropped, simply because of the extra weight of the ice accumulating on the cables. Even if poles resisted, cables would sometimes drop on the road, which isn't nice when you drive in the dark.

Bad neagtive low temps and Ice that looks like snow. You have to remember that Texas is not prepared for weather like this. Basically not enough salt or equipment to plow.

The result is deaths, injuries, and millions without power due to frozen power poles.

Sounds bad.

My own image (a false one, I presume) was that Texas was always a federal state with LOTS of heat and not that much rain ...

Back
Top Bottom