buying a vintage mac for RPGs/gaming

so far it's going great. got a bunch of games loaded up and they work perfectly. some i have to burn cds for when i get the blanks. some i'll need to emulate on the mac itself to play them. but so far everything is going great. i just realized i need more space, as a lot of those early 2000s games are about 1gb big. so i'm going to add a 500gb external ssd to go along with the internal 160gb ssd. then i'll have enough room for pretty much everythiing i want.

one sweet thing about it is that almost all of the software for the mac is free. so i can pick out of thousands of cool things on the mac garden. and if there's rares out there, i can bid on them on ebay sometime. but so far i'm having a great time.

added a 3 partition, 500gb firewire external hard drive. The 3 partitions are OS Panther, Leopard, and a split between Jaguar and another OS 9. So that makes the total amount of OSes installed as:

OS 9 x 2
Jaguar
Panther
Tiger
Leopard

For the best backup I'm using a spare 500gb ssd I have, and getting an external firewire setup for it. It will keep all my important files backed up.

What else. I have 4 total video cards for it, 2 of them I'm using are quite beastly. A Radeon 8500 AGP card for VGA to my monitor, and a Radeon 7000 PCI card for my DVI-output to the second "monitor" (my windows 10 pc that will record video and audio from the Mac screen.)

I currently have been digging thru old games and software, and have over 200 games installed! It's been very fun finding the really unique and weird gems that abound on these old OSes. :)

Back
Top Bottom